back to article Hyatt says hackers took card data from 250 of its hotels

Hyatt Hotels says a total of 250 of its resorts were hit last year in a massive malware infection that stole customer payment card information. The luxury resort chain said that locations in 50 countries were impacted by malware that collected payment card information from sales terminals at Hyatt restaurants, spas, golf shops …

1. a_yank_lurker

Another One

Either hackers are incredibly gifted or there too many organizations whose idea of computer security is to hire Bubba because he can turn a computer unaided as their security guru. I think it's the latter.

2. Turtle

Tense. Future Tense. Because Past Imperfect.

"'Protecting customer information is critically important to Hyatt, and we will soon begin to take the security of customer data very seriously,' Hyatt global president of operations Chuck Floyd said in announcing the 250 compromised locations."

Oh I just bet you will.

3. jamesb2147

Joy

is when you see your favorite hotel on that list.

Why did Hyatt have to make it a PITA to see the list of affected hotels? *sigh* Nothing really changes... ever.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chuck Floyd

A name that lends an air of confidence to it....

5. frank ly

This is why ....

.... I use a pre-paid credit card for my occasional hotel bookings, regular petrol purchases (if I don't have enough cash) and purchases over the internet.

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Protecting customer information is critically important to Hyatt, and we take the security of customer data very seriously,"

Why do they not engage the brain instead of uttering such tosh.

If it's critically important and you've just failed at it what does it say about your competence at stuff which is just very important or only important let alone nice to have?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

OK, they don't care. Like Talktalk, Dixons Carphone, and a bazillion other businesses worldwide. I was thinking what regulatory penalty would actually persuade them to act differently? Fines don't work because money's no issue, and usually it's only shareholders' money anyway.

What if the regulatory penalties included having "Knob" tattooed on the board's foreheads? Initially the PHBs and clueless "C" levels wouldn't get it, but after the first public tattooing of a director I think the rest would get the message.

Should it be "knob" or written back to front so that they can read it in the mirror? First world problems, eh?

7. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Fortunately..

...I'm too poor to afford such a luxurious hotel. Sleeping under a bridge with cardboard and a paper bag wrapped bottle of anti-freeze class Vodka doesn't require a credit card.

8. Sleep deprived
    Thumb Down

"so that customers can take steps to protect themselves."

Like changing credit card after every few transactions with clueless businesses?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Android Apple Linux malware ..

If only Hyatt had used the fully indemnified industry standard Operating system instead of an OS designed by some amateurs in their bedroom.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like