back to article Microsoft’s Get Windows 10 nagware shows signs of sentience

Windows 7 and 8 installations are finding new ways to re-enable Microsoft’s intrusive “Get Windows 10” nagware, even when users disable it. An additional background process has been detected that resets the Registry’s AllowOSUpgrade flag twice a day. Prophylactic measures taken by users to disable the nagware – such as these …

Silver badge

Larger enterprise users are not eligible for Windows 10 upgrades, so don’t receive the GWX nagware that’s been plaguing Home and Professional Edition users for six months.

It was originally my understanding that if you ran Windows 7 joined to a domain, then GWX would ignore you, however this seems not to be the case anymore, as I've had to play whack-a-mole on a number of my domain member desktops recently.

GWX certainly bears all the hallmarks of professionally built malware with hidden processes and unauthorised registry changes, even using obfuscated folder names ($WINDOWS.~BT) for the download.

Windows

GWX Windows certainly bears all the hallmarks of professionally built malware with hidden processes and unauthorised registry changes

Fixed.

Devil

The NSA must be keen to roll out their new spyware on it's citizens and the world in general.

It gets worse, with latest iteration of Windows Update. Fancy going back to a fresh install of Win7?

The latest iteration of Windows Update 'just happens' to be also preventing a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1 ISO 'out of the box'. Whether you use a registration key during install process or skip it. The new iteration of Windows update (the first thing that a fresh install of Windows 7 installs on enabling Windows Update) has broken Windows Updates, with a endless wait to find updates. Coincidence? When this is 'fixed', in a machine with an SSD, should take about 7-10 minutes to find all 200+ updates.

And no, none of the Windows Updates automated 'fix' tools solve this one.

Yes, is fixable, if you know how, but took several hours to work out the solution, but there is no way the average user will find the solution, even an expert (to be honest) they'll just try the only obvious easy solution to fix Window update problem - to install Windows 10 over the top, instead. Maybe, that was Microsoft's intention.

Microsoft need to be investigated by UK authorities, regarding their current tactics, people have paid for their Windows 7 licences, they have the right to use them until end of life 'unhindered'.

Don't believe me? Try it yourself - Fresh zero'd disk, with fresh MBR, no operating system, machine tested was Bios based, not EFI, so disk was using standard partition tables. Just the standand Windows 7 SP1 ISO, not slipstreamed.

Anonymous Coward

Re: It gets worse, with latest iteration of Windows Update. [...]

Last time I had to reinstall 7, I just left it behind a few firewalls and a NAT for a few hours checking for updates, and it finally started working as normal after installing the first batch of ~180 it found.

Re: It gets worse, with latest iteration of Windows Update. [...]

that has been bugging me as well windows update on first check after install (i use slipstream i never going to install 200 updates, 20 or less is better) if you are going to do that many updates do them in 60 at a time (or no more than 100 in one go as it starts going)

is taking upto 1 hour to check (1-3 hours on AMD cpus or Low Powered CPUs based off the ATOM cpu the intel ones with a N in them or p4 or c2d)

once you have all the updates it does it very quickly

Silver badge

Re: It gets worse, with latest iteration of Windows Update. ........

"The new iteration of Windows update (the first thing that a fresh install of Windows 7 installs on enabling Windows Update) has broken Windows Updates,"

problem is the website only now works with IE11

You have to manually download and install IE11, then run Windows Update

First thing you then get is an update to windows update........install that and then the rest of updates will stream down

Silver badge
Linux

Re: Fancy going back to a fresh install of Win7?

They'll just try the only obvious easy solution to fix Window update problem - to install Mint. Or some other flavour of...

FIFY

Actually solved it a different way. (Though why I bother is getting harder and harder to justify, given Mint 17.3 installs in 12 minutes including all updates, and thats including manually adding the NVidia Graphics, Broadcom Wireless proprietary drivers and editing Grub and adding NO LOGO for NVidia to x.config, adding a wireless password.

The Windows 7 SP1 Fresh Install fix...

(and No need to ever open IE8 or install IE11)

The latest Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 is reliant of a previous update KB3102810. The problem is that Update doesn't exist on the original Windows 7 SP1 ISO. You need to manually install this update AFTER Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 has installed but once the new update agent has restarted/running - don't leave it to endlessly run, just restart the machine, then on startup manually download and install KB3192810 from MS directly, then re-run Windows Update, i.e break the first run of Windows update after new Windows Update has installed. All Updates will then post in under 10 minutes. (Well if you have an SSD)

I use only 'select updates first then download', installing only important updates, keeping optional updates separate.

Then I hide

KB2952664

KB3021917

KB3035583

KB3068708

KB3075249

KB3080149

KB3102429

KB971033

Also optional later update KB2965788 will cause any other updates to fail if installed at the same time, so if you want a clean install History, do these last 5 one at time, that works, to achieve the 'Holy Grail' of 100% of Updates installed sucessfully, no failures. And no Windows 10 NAGS!

Windows Update is CLUNKY BAG OF NAILS, yes it works - but every other update system out there is putting it to shame in 2016. Needs a complete re-write, yet no-one at MS seems to want to open that can of worms though.

Slight typo there...To avoid any confusion its KB3102810 you need to install.

Megaphone

Re: It gets worse, with latest iteration of Windows Update.

@Adam Jarvis I think you give Microsoft too much credit.

Incompetence or malice? I do not think Microsoft will intentionally break Windows Update for Windows 7. I do however think that Microsoft is quite incompetent and does not know how to write a proper package management and update system. Windows Update is very broken.

The reason a fresh install of Windows 7 can take 30 minutes (on a very fast computer) to just to check for updates (I have seen two hours on slower computers) is because the code for Windows Update to check what it needs to update is very poor. This is just checking. Not installing.

When Windows Update finally finishes checking for updates you may see about 200 required updates for a fresh install of Windows 7. What you do not see is the thousands of updates that those 200 updates supersede. Anyone who uses WSUS will understand what I mean.

So when a fresh install of Windows 7 is performed, Windows Update must check through those thousands of updates and compare against what you may or may not have installed. And it must not just compare update against update, it must also compare versions of each file in each update against each file in each other update and to make sure that an older update does not accidentally overwrite a file that has been updated by a different but newer update of another purpose.

It is a very big bruteforce approach. That's why when you run Windows Update on a fresh Windows 7 install you will see the CPU load for one core stay at 100% the whole time and real memory usage (not cached files) can reach up to 8GB. I have seen up to 10GB before.

This is why when I run WSUS, I always manually delete superseded updates. That way when my computers join my domain they only see the new updates and therefore there are a lot less files for useless Windows Update to process. But of course for home users where we do not have a WSUS server this means we must sit around like baboon for a few hours while Windows Update tries to do what yum or apt can do in just a few minutes.

Silver badge

>Windows Update is CLUNKY BAG OF NAILS, yes it works...

LIAR liar pants on fire!

That process can sit in vmplayer and happily chew up 100% of my quad core i7 laptop all day and not achieve anything more than heating the table top. Where is W7 sp2 and sp3? What happens in W10 with its "continuous updates" when you have several hundred patches to apply to a new install?

If Windows activation is so good, can't ms provide quarterly ISO images for direct download and on an official torrent?

> It was originally my understanding that if you ran Windows 7 joined to a domain, then GWX would ignore you

About a month ago I was thinking 'slurp would _never_ dare to fuck with business users'. At the moment I am wondering...

Silver badge

This is confirmed ive seen this a few times recently...thought it was just me

Thumb Up

"GWX Windows certainly bears all the hallmarks of professionally built malware with hidden processes and unauthorised registry changes"

Indeed, and I have been treating it as such. I have entered GWX*.* files in my HIPS as malicious, in addition to the various registry hacks that can be found.

Given this is supposed to be the last version of Windows ever, given that my experience of it left me extremely disenchanted, the time for me to pick on a final Linux distribution has almost arrived, and I've used the OS family since version 2x. I told MS this in their one of their 'feedback' forms; no edition of anything, no OS, no vehicle type, no module, nothing is ever finished, nothing is ever perfect.

If MS really mean to never issue another edition of Windows, then they have pronounced its death sentence. Perhaps OS2 if the price is right; if not, then Linux.

Have been burned far too often for saying Windows Update doesn't work - I'm no fan of MS, (to the point where the shills always blame the messenger's own technical incompetence, as the 'get-out') though I can safely say, currently it doesn't update/work for Windows 7 SP1 ISO 'out of the box' , as I stated, without the fix KB3102810 applied in the correct sequence. Jack Schofield is one who loves to defend the abilities of Windows Update, given it works across millions of systems.

And with the fix KB3102810 I get all 200+ updates in less than 10 minutes, so the apologist approach saying its a doing some tough maths is complete rubbish too, this is MS been devious/upto its tricks. If its taking longer, follow the fix above, buy an SSD or switch to Linux Mint 17.3, because Microsoft is just not worth it anymore, and we're all fools, clinging on - because the idea of change is just as bad.

But generally up to this point, before the latest Windows Update installer roll out, it did actually update Windows 7. Its is a slow dinosaur piece of ...., but on the whole, I hate to say it - it patches systems eventually, but the customer experience is something to beholden, in MS speak.

Anonymous Coward

Re: It gets worse, with latest iteration of Windows Update.......

I did a clean install last night with my retail windows 7 upgrade pre sp1 and left WU unconfigured without problems.

To be honest though, it was clear to me that the "checked" version of win7 would be infected when it came out after winX, you could tell by the green aura around the image and the "danger, danger, high voltage" music playing during download (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4gyJsY0mc).

Getting a copy of sp1 off MS was harder than I remembered but I did manage to get the exe version but havent installed yet

It's the Microsoft way or the highway, sadly

Silver badge

"I can safely say, currently it doesn't update/work for Windows 7 SP1 ISO 'out of the box' "

I installed a laptop with Win 7 SP1 Home Edition yesterday and ran the updates with no problems, so tbh I'm not sure you can safely say that tbh. And I say that as someone who's not very keen on WU or it's even clunkier big brother WSUS.

I have personally nailed it down as absolutely having nothing to do with "sentience", Microsoft keeps re-assigning update KB2952664 as "urgent" and "important". This KB update then will load KB3035583, the GWX nag helper.

The only way you'll catch the KB2952664 'rearmament" is to set your Windows Update to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", as ANY other automated setting causes the KB to download in the background and, thanks to that Microsoft setting, take the soonest opportunity to self-install.

Happened to me just this morning: even though I had previously and quite intentionally set KB2952664 as Hidden, Windows Update just tried to slip it in to today's patch updates, quite behind my back! So you must actually examine each Patch Tuesday update plan to see what Microsoft is trying to hide.

"It was originally my understanding that if you ran Windows 7 joined to a domain, then GWX would ignore you, however this seems not to be the case anymore, as I've had to play whack-a-mole on a number of my domain member desktops recently."

I don't think that's ever been the case, it's only people running Enterprise edition that can't receive it. Pro users (certainly retail versions of Pro) can get it even if they're joined to a domain, though obviously if they're in a domain environment there's a better chance they get their updates centrally managed, and the admins have already excluded the offending update from being applied.

Bronze badge
Big Brother

If only that were true...

@ Snake,

I had updates set to check but do not download, I deleted KB2952664 and checked for updates. Checking the list KB2952664 was not present, so downloaded and installed the security ones. After a restart the magic KB2952664 was again on my win7 computer and all my hidden updates were again revealed.

Silver badge

Re: Fancy going back to a fresh install of Win7?

That's what I did. I just keep 10 around now for a few programs. I suck at Linux but I'll figure it out eventually. :)

Thumb Up

Yes, I found that too with KB 2952664, which was today recommended. This is the sixth item that I've hidden in update. With the registry hacks, hiding updates and using my HIPS to block GWX*.* I thought I'd acquired some peace; being suspicious I clicked on the link in update and found this in my browser: "This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows."

These people are beginning to piss me off.

Re: If only that were true...

"I had updates set to check but do not download, I deleted KB2952664 and checked for updates. Checking the list KB2952664 was not present, so downloaded and installed the security ones. After a restart the magic KB2952664 was again on my win7 computer and all my hidden updates were again revealed."

And that is the exact vehicle which is causing the Windows 10 nag to reappear - as I stated, Microsoft is overriding our choice of Hidden updates in order to force KB2952664 back into systems.

Very NOT appreciated. Where the hell is the lawsuit regarding monopolistic practices and infringing freedom of choice? I DON'T want Win10 but Microsoft is very (very) close to forcing us into it.

MAKE SURE you remove ALL of the following updates:

KB308149

KB3075249

KB3021917

KB3035583 (IMPORTANT)

KB3044374

KB2990214

KB2952664 (IMPORTANT)

KB3068708

KB3080149

KB3075249

Re: If only that were true...

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

I've figured out how Microsoft is doing this: They keep reissuing KB2952664 with different revision numbers then marking the update as "essential", forcing Windows to download and install it automatically without user intervention and even if you marked a (previous) revision as "Hidden".

If you check

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\PackageIndex\Package_1_for_KB2952664[~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~0.0.0.0]

(numbers enclosed in [...] may change)

plus numerous other registry keys, you'll find the various revisions that your computer has been forced to download and install, each one seen as "separate" and individual due to the revision number but, of course, exactly the same.

>> "When Windows Update finally finishes checking for updates you may see about 200 required updates for a fresh install of Windows 7. What you do not see is the thousands of updates that those 200 updates supersede. Anyone who uses WSUS will understand what I mean."

This is why we so desperately need Microsoft to do the right thing and release Windows 7 SP2 so it can start with a clean slate again.

Anonymous Coward

windows7 sp2 if ever released would include all spyware without the chance of removing it however MS do not want you staying with win7 where you have additional protection (in some countries) because you purchased it retail or as part of a PC.

Microsoft want you to have as little choice as android users namely you have the choice not to use it or the choice for google and their hangers on to see everything you do.

Microsoft understand that they cannot produce a sufficent incentive for most windows users to upgrade away from their expensive to maintain OS and so they are trying to force everyone to move to an OS they do not have any rights.

One OS is much cheaper to maintain and if you can also spy on your customers without them being able to complain then all the better. I presume that those people who used to pay MS to put hole in the "security" are happy they have linux covered and no longer need to rely upon MS, hence the radical swing to forced emigration to winX

Anonymous Coward

Re: It gets worse, with latest iteration of Windows Update

Yup, have this problem here.

This is totally unacceptable to deliberately break older systems especially after a rebuild which is what M$ have done.

I also noticed my 7 Home Basic b0xen has developed a similar issue claiming no updates are available yet this started weeks ago.

Possibly related?

Silver badge

@Aniya

- This is why when I run WSUS, I always manually delete superseded updates. That way when my computers join my domain they only see the new updates and therefore there are a lot less files for useless Windows Update to process. But of course for home users where we do not have a WSUS server this means we must sit around like baboon for a few hours while Windows Update tries to do what yum or apt can do in just a few minutes.

I'm not sure how WSUSoffline handles superseded updates, I have noticed, but didn't investigate differences between a full archive I took a while back and a more recent one (ie. updates in the older archive that were not present in the more recent archive). Hence my suggestion is if you are thinking of re-installing an earlier version of Windows it is worth using WSUSoffline to create an initial update set before you connect the system to the Internet and WUP.

Out of context - What I said...

'Windows Update is CLUNKY BAG OF NAILS, yes it works - but every other update system out there is putting it to shame in 2016. Needs a complete re-write, yet no-one at MS seems to want to open that can of worms though'

And I probably add 'yes it (sort of) works' if I was writing it again. The problem is there a millions of systems running Windows 7 and while even I hate to admit it, in general the system must be working for the majority of the millions of users, but its certainly looking very dumb and dated in its approach, to figuring out what each computer needs.

Windows needs a background 'dropbox style' of system updates to stay upto date.

Silver badge

Re: It gets worse... Fancy going back to a fresh install of Win7?

You are absolutely correct about this. I have an older laptop that came with Vista, but that I had switched to XP the day it arrived. A few months ago, I decided to switch it to a still-supported OS, so I restored the backup I had made of the original Vista install. It immediately began finding and downloading hundreds of updates.

Somewhere in that process, I decided Vista wasn't good enough if I was going to go through the trouble to fully migrate everything. I decided to upgrade it again to 7. I backed up Vista again (preserving all the work I had done) and went for a clean install of 7.

Unlike Vista, the fresh 7 install didn't immediately begin finding new updates. I went to Windows Update and hit the "check for updates" button, and it never found any. It was just checking forever.

I tried the Microsoft "Fixit" tool, manually downloading the latest Update client and several other updates that were meant to ensure the integrity of the update process (which did not work either at first; I describe this below), manually verifying the registry entries for the BITS and wuauserv services, but nothing ever worked. This was a completely clean install from a genuine MS DVD, and updates did not work.

Some people on one tech help forum I went to had said that with Win 10 just coming out recently, the MS servers are probably super busy, so just let it process longer... overnight. For days, perhaps. I tried letting it go a few hours, but it seemed foolish. If the server was too busy to work to update 7, why did it work as intended with Vista?

I eventually used a batch downloader program for grabbing the hundreds of updates from the MS servers (thanks ever so much for not having service packs anymore, Microsoft), made a text file of the list of filenames, then turned that into a batch file to install each update one-by-one. By that time, I had already seen that the Windows Standalone Update installer (WUSA), necessary for installing all updates downloaded from Microsoft, didn't work either (I cannot recall if it threw an error or just hung... something about it being stuck on "looking for previous updates" sticks in my mind), and the standard instructions offered on the MS help site ("make sure wuauserv and BITS are running") didn't help, as they were both in fact running.

At some point, just by chance, I'd noticed that I could get an update to install successfully if I did it immediately after a reboot... which I quickly worked out was before the wuauserv (Windows Update service, which was set to delayed automatic start) had started. The service start type essentially behaves as "manual" until Windows gets around to performing the delayed start.

That was the workaround. I put the service on manual, stopped it, and executed the update batch file. It would start the update service when the given update was started, successfully install it, then stop the update service before the batch file started the next update (when it would again start up). It took forever, and it required constant attention to keep things going (sometimes it would fail to stop the service before starting the next update, and I would have to mess with it to get it to work after that), but it eventually worked.

Once I got nearly all of the updating done manually, Windows Update started working again. It could have been any one (or group) of the hundreds of updates that eventually made it work.

I had occasion to install 7 again after that (this time the 64 bit edition). It did the same thing. I decided to try the "let Windows Update keep working for days" thing, and eventually, it did work.

At the time of the first failure to update, I was perplexed as to why something that worked on Vista had failed so badly on the more recent OS. After witnessing the behavior of Microsoft surrounding the Windows 10 upgrades, though, I came to the same conclusion-- Microsoft is deliberately screwing around with people trying to get a fresh install of 7 updated in the hopes of getting them to give up on 7 and upgrade straight away. This was before it was possible to use a Win 7 key to activate Win 10, though, so going through the upgrade process (rather than a clean install of 10) was mandatory if you wanted 10 for free.

The irony here is that if that had been my goal all along, to install 7 and upgrade that to 10, I would have insisted on getting the update malfunction corrected first. Upgrades on Windows are notoriously unreliable, and the last thing I would want to do would be to perform an upgrade on an install of 7 that was not working properly. It has not been my experience that OS upgrades fix underlying problems so much as exacerbate them.

Silver badge

Re: It gets worse, with latest iteration of Windows Update...

"people have paid for their Windows 7 licences, they have the right to use them until end of life 'unhindered'"

Actually, they have a right to use Windows 7 forever. EOL is just MS's end of support for the product.

But I'm not surprised MS is actively ruining things. Douchebags.

Silver badge

You could blame it on incompetence.

I think it's more of a matter of managment saying "well, don't spend any time on these cases -it's not a problem if the user can't do this as we want him to move on (fsck that end user who doesn't know his own good)".

The MS update system is the worst I have seen of any operating system. Hours upon hours of millions of users' time wasted. It used to be quite straight forward and quick, until some idiot designed the current scheme.

Silver badge

"to the point where the shills always blame the messenger's own technical incompetence"

Ehh.. How much competence should it take to do an automated update?

Clicking the Update button would be about it, normally, in a sane operating system, from a sane operating system vendor.

Silver badge
Devil

How in Hell's name did we get here?

So, I'm fighting to exclude the criminals outside the tent, while the bloke (or blokess) paid to help me is rapidly turning into a criminal inside the tent. If you see what I mean.

GWX Control Panel seems to be doing a good job in keeping the nagware at bay, although I noticed that it detected a 32-bit download today that wasn't detected previously (I'm running Win 7 64 bit).

Devil

Re: How in Hell's name did we get here?

One can only hope that next month's patch cycle gets GWX Control Panel added into the microsoft anti-malware database to stop users running it, since it's clearly interfering with how Windows is meant to function.

Angel

https://github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows

How did we get here? Well, when your business plan depends on people being forced to buy the latest version of your operating system when they buy a new computer and then this happens:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/13/only_apple_grew_sales_in_2015s_horror_pc_market/

you have to do something to compensate for not actually giving people a compelling reason to upgrade.

Silver badge
Devil

Oh, Jesus...

Okay Microsoft, well done, you've now officially won back the "Evil" crown...

/golfclap

Re: Oh, Jesus...

How can they win back what they never lost in the 1st place?

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
WTF?

Re: Oh, Jesus...

@Kevin 6 - You mean to say you've never used anything remotely connected to Google - inadvertently or deliberately?

Mushroom

Prepare for disaster...

The hole that MSFT is digging is getting bigger and wider, please can someone, anyone tell them to STOP.

We can't clear this s**t upgrade off quick enough.

I am expecting floods of tears and sad stories when the upgrade takes 8 hours and fails.

Silver badge
Flame

Re: Prepare for disaster...

They won't stope even if a million users join a class action lawsuit against them.

MS will say that their EUL gives them the right etc etc

Personally, I'd like someone in the law to consider taking them to court under the Computer Misuse Act. They are clearly tampering with your computer against your wishes.

Will they?

Nah, pigs might fly etc.

Bronze badge

The hole that MSFT is digging is getting wider and deeper. Please can someone, anyone offer tips on how to get them to concentrate on digging down.

FTFY

Silver badge
Pint

The hole that MSFT is digging is getting bigger and wider, please can someone, anyone tell them to STOP.

Why?

Just let them keep digging it, and once they get to the point that it's deep enough that they can't get out quickly, we have the following options:

- just roll out the Caterpillar D9 and bury them

- pile Vista and ME install CDs on top of them, then get out the D9 and bury them

- fill the hole with thermite mixed with Vista and ME install CDs, ignite the lot, then once it's finished do the D9 bit

- any of the above, then erect a Memorial Latrine on top.

Tenders for a Beer Concession Stand near the Memorial Latrine will be considered.

Silver badge

I say we nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Silver badge

An additional background process has been detected that resets the Registry’s AllowOSUpgrade flag twice a day.

This alone is Microsoft disqualifying themselves from my desktop. *I* will decide what happens on *my* machine, thankyouverymuch.

In fact, 1/10 of the combined dickery displayed to date is someone who clearly cannot be trusted with something as personal as an operating system.

They have irretrievably blown what trust that had from me. Onto the Sony list they go.

Anonymous Coward

An additional background process has been detected that resets the Registry’s AllowOSUpgrade flag twice a day.

Isn't there a way to change protections on registry entries so that they cannot be altered?

Silver badge
Big Brother

"Isn't there a way to change protections on registry entries so that they cannot be altered?"

Considering that Windows has stuff an Admin user can't (easily or at all) access, what makes you think it might be possible for a user/admin to protect anything from the OS itself?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017