back to article All Systems z are Go: IBM ports Google language to mainframes

IBM has been spotted bringing the open-source Go programming language to its System z mainframes. Big Blue made its port available via a GitHub repository and its Linux on IBM z Systems project – which is working on bringing across various other packages, too. Developed by Google and released in 2009, Go is designed with an …

1. PJF

Singing the BlueZ?

Did it get a little colder down here? Big Blue n Google in bed?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Singing the BlueZ?

I doubt it. It's more like IBM are happily making use of another's open source effort. What goes around, comes around. IBM have put a huge amount of effort on some fairly major open source projects themselves (Linux, Eclipse etc), to the benefit of us all, so they're especially entitled to port Go.

Anyway, I'm pleased: mainframes still rock, apparently.

BTW, what mortal sin condemned you to IT hell? You didn't buy HP did you?

1. PJF

Worse off... D(H)ell

Boy did "I" (us/we) get screwed.. (I'm modest, my team of 4) No thanx to the manglangers. . . .

I have the most respect for Big Blue (DISCLOSURE : they are in my home state) but some of their designations, as of late, make me question their outlook.

Hell, we had their "Selectric" in my mid-school typing class.. got upto 100 wpm on that "ball"....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"to the benefit of us all"

Except unfortunately IBM. They went with an "anything but Microsoft" policy and it has left them largely irrelevant to many modern enterprises.

1. bazza Silver badge

"Except unfortunately IBM."

Depends. IBM started putting a lot of effort into Linux specifically so that they could sell more mainframes.

According to the article, they've sold more mainframes. Mission accomplished. Though there may well have been some unintended consequences...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

On the flip side, taking an "anything but Microsoft" attitude (to the extent that they can, anyway) has allowed many of IBM's traditional customers to largely avoid the living hell that many of Microsoft's customers now find themselves in. And I expect that many of IBM's former customers are now largely regretting their decision to move to the Microsoft side of the aisle, and they may decide to move back yet, if they still can.

As an aside, the day I heard a young IBMer state that "We here at IBM need to be more like Microsoft" was the day that I knew they were heading down a slippery, destructive slope. Because I took that mean that they were going to start moving fast, loose, and sloppily - the way that Microsoft often does, but not the traditional way that IBM approached things. Not that their own ways couldn't have used some serious improvement, of course.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"....left them largely irrelevant to many modern enterprises...."

Irrelevancy is in the eye of the beholder.

Horses for courses and all that stuff.

Some functionality just won't cut it on anything but a mainframe, High volume transaction processing for a start. Check out Amex, Visa several airlines, banks etc.

2. ciaran
    Thumb Down

No sign of Go for AIX yet, which is a pain.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"which is a pain"

What causes the pain - the lack of Go, or AIX itself?

3. Mike Schwab

Linux on z System can be KVM or Docker.

Linux on z System can run a KVM or Docker version.

http://domino.research.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/papers/0929052195DD819C85257D2300681E7B/$File/rc25482.pdf

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like