back to article It's replicant Roy Batty's birthday – but hey, where's my killer robot?

In the Blade Runner universe the Nexus 6 replicant calling itself Roy Batty rolled off the production lines of the Tyrell Corporation today. Sadly, or some might say luckily, the tech industry hasn't yet caught up with Hollywood. I do have a Nexus 6 on my desk right now, but it's a sizable phablet of a phone, rather than a …

Silver badge
FAIL

Do androids wet dream of electric sheep?

The replicants were biologically based, grown not assembled, indistinguishable from tediously engendered humans. Thus the difficulty testing for copyrights. They were wet-ware with wipe-dates, no silicon involved.

Re: Do androids wet dream of electric sheep?

Upvote for the title of your post. :)

But yes, I was going to post the same thing. So sayeth Ridley Scott himself.

To be fair, the purely organic Replicants seem to have been specific to the Blade Runner movie. The Philip K Dick novel's androids appear to have been a mix of robotic and organic bits.

Silver badge

Philip Dick's finest.

But when did he actually write it?

(My memory is gone due to killing off my last brain cell over NYE.)

Definitely one of the best films ever!

Anonymous Coward

"But when did he actually write it?"

First published 1968 according to Wikipedia.

At that point a third generation (integrated circuit chips) mainframe computer with 1MB of ferrite main memory was state-of art and filled several tall cabinets. Even for the top of the range models the instruction times were at least 1 microsecond for simple op codes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_System_4

Not sure about prices - my memory suggests a full system with peripherals cost about GBP2m - say about GBP20m today.

Silver badge

They were wet-ware with wipe-dates, no silicon involved.

This is correct, but of course testing for this special makeup physically would have been easy-peasy. A drop of blood and check the DNA. Done! (Like the Gaius Baltar test which was not handled all to well in BSG at all).

The Philip K Dick novel's androids appear to have been a mix of robotic and organic bits.

Not that I know. They were, however, devoid of natural human reactions and empathy (psychopathic) and killing them was considered taking out the trash. Even Rachel was the most horribly sadistic and manipulative thing.

Anonymous Coward

Philip Dick's finest

Nah, that's still "Radio Free Albemuth", maybe "Ubik"

Silver badge

In the book, when Deckard determines from the psychological test that Rachel is an android but is told she isn't, he asks for bone marrow analysis to prove it. Even when he retires an android-shot through the "brain box" which would expose an inorganic Nexus-6 they still do bone marrow test and prove it is a "humanoid robot".

But the fake animals are all wires and cogs even the owl.

(The book is set in 1992, some time after "World War Terminus")

@Notas Badoff Re: Do androids wet dream of electric sheep?

"...tediously engendered humans."

You're doing it wrong.

I don't think he could remember either

and not just on New Years

The goat? :(

Never mind the replicants

Where's my artificial owl!?

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Re: Never mind the replicants

Where's my artificial owl!?

Each to his own I suppose. I'm more interested in Anita :-)

Silver badge

which one was Anita?

I thought the female replicants were Zhora, Pris and Racheal?????

Silver badge

which one was Anita?

An android in HUM∀NS, a British-American science fiction television series. If you haven't seen it, it's a must. Very much looking forward to the second series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humans_(TV_series)

Silver badge

"Where's my artificial owl!?"

I heard they very much exist and were just about getting ready to come after us all Hitchcock-style but they got wind of what kind of money they can make on the set of the new Harry Potter spinoff and got hired there...

Silver badge
Coat

"Where's my artificial owl!?"

I believe they're being developed for the field of advancing human romantic relationships through humour.

To wit - to woo.

Silver badge

I can remember reading a scifi book 40 years ago or so, in which one of the characters was a fully developed highly sexualised female human with white owl wings........part of the (forced) loss of virginity was the shedding of the wings - amidst much blood and tears

I can't remember the book or author..........any ideas anyone?

Bronze badge

To wit to woo

And up vote for you my boy, but I can see why you are hurriedly getting your coat...

Very witty. And a tautology to boot. Have an upvote.

MOH

It's a remake of a Swedish series, Akta Manniskor, which is worth a look. Haven't seen the remake so not sure how closely it follows.

Alright buddy?

Ask Hephaestus nicely and he'll make you one.

>why don't we have humanoid robots walking among us these days?

How do you know we don't?

I've seen things on the Tube you people wouldn't believe...

Silver badge

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Hoverboards on fire off the shoulder of Walmart.

I watched beards glitter in the dark near London Fields.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

scs

Excellent...

Also my favorite movie...

Thumb Up

@(TheOtherHobbes->moiety)

A nice One-Two. That's the sort of thing I come here for, as much as for the articles.

Bronze badge
Linux

Spinner Flying Cars ..

Where are all the Spinner flying cars that are supposed to have appeared by now?

Silver badge

Re: Spinner Flying Cars ..

Being suppressed by the government, same as the water-as-fuel motor.

Black Helicopters

Try a few articles down: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/08/ehang_flying_taxi/

And tbh, Los Angeles 2019 didn't have that many Spinners - and what few there were appeared to be mostly LAPD...

TRT
Silver badge

The Tyrell Corporation...

are busy making crisps.

Silver badge

Re: The Tyrell Corporation...

Also wine

Bronze badge
Terminator

Re: The Tyrell Corporation... are busy making crisps.

Soylent Green or Red flavour?

Two pints of soma and a packet of crisps please.

IT Angle

Is that a Game of Thrones reference?

Pint

https://www.tyrrellscrisps.co.uk/

OM NOM NOM NOM. Go great with one of these --->

Silver badge

You cannot have all SciFi universes succeed

At the very least Terminator is on target (as far as having the linux version it is supposed to run). Skynet is also proceeding to plan and producing Nexuses (albeit phablet ones).

Anonymous Coward

Re: You cannot have all SciFi universes succeed

you write ... "Terminator is on target (as far as having the linux version it is supposed to run)."

Citation appreciated :)

Silver badge

At the very least Terminator is on target (as far as having the linux version it is supposed to run)."

Wasn't The Terminator in the original film running 6502 machine code?

Anonymous Coward

Wasn't The Terminator in the original film running 6502 machine code?

Indeed

Good times. Back then, this was also considered over-the top movie violence and gun pr0n.

Today, we get kids pretending to handle preposterously large guns like in anime and lackluster remakes/reboot.

I won't be back ... to the movies.

Go

Yes, but a LOT of them.

Silver badge

Seems Herbert and Dick had similar ideas

Herbert's axlotl tanks grew Duncan Idaho and Miles Teg.

Silver badge

Re: Seems Herbert and Dick had similar ideas

"Duncan Idaho" was always a skilled "actual human". Not so the "androids" of PKD (which are different from the ones in the movie). Roombas looking like humans actually.

Silver badge

The original Duncan Idaho was a real human, but in later books duplicate Duncans were grown in tanks.

I've just finished watching the excellent comedy series Other Space from Yahoo! that features a man grown in a tank (to be a supply of spare organs for his older brother). The series is like a cross between Red Dwarf and Community, and fingers crossed another network picks it up for a second series now that Yahoo! has gone belly-up.

Silver badge

"The original Duncan Idaho was a real human, but in later books duplicate Duncans were grown in tanks."

Gholas were still basically just clones though. Any form of 'thinking machine' would have been sacrilege in the post-Butlerian Jihad era of Dune, which was the entire reason Mentats came into existence.

A more intresting representation of AI in films

Just watched Ex Machina which was excellent and probably a better representation of AI and it's dangers

Fortunately the bit about a social network billionaire building his own AI construct seems a bit far-fetched

Silver badge

Re: A more intresting representation of AI in films

That Domhall Gleeson is getting around sci-fi films. As well as being the lead in Ex Machina, he's the hapless hacker in Dredd 3D, and a [redacted] in the new Star Wars.

Silver badge

Re: A more intresting representation of AI in films

"and a [redacted] in the new Star Wars."

Is the missing word - 'ginger' ?

Silver badge
Terminator

Military this and that

This article references DARPA work.

How about some Rodney Brooks instead? I haven't been following "Nouvelle AI" (described in "Cambrian Intelligence") during the last decade (too much webshit filling all available brainslots but I have been getting back into logic programming a bit ... Answer Set Programming sounds really sweetuseful). I remember reading research on "Cog" has been discontinued and Brooks & Company are now selling a sturdy, marketable single-arm manipulator robot.

Anyway, Papers, be sure to check out Elephants don't play Chess

Anonymous Coward

Re: Military this and that Elephants don't play chess

excellent reading - thanks for the link :)

Anonymous Coward

Deckard

If Deckard was an android, why was he wandering around unchecked while Holden was busy trying to round up the Nexus 6s (before getting blasted?)

I mean, did the police department have an apartment on hold, dump him in the streets, and catch up with him later in some weird way to waste expenses and be inefficient?

Silver badge
Unhappy

Spoiler Alert!!!

Damn you, this is like telling people the guy they had in that film that time was already dead. And the one about the man in the silly hat being Luke's father.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017