back to article New data porting rules mustn't overburden businesses with costs, says UK minister

Rules designed to enable consumers to move their data from one platform to another should not be so costly to comply with that they serve as a "barrier to entry" into markets, the UK's parliamentary under-secretary of state for the Department for Business, Innovation has said. Baroness Neville-Rolfe said that the planned new …

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Switching suppliers is *the* only stick a consumer has to get improved service

Most UK "off" of seem pretty much either a)See the world from the suppliers PoV (regulatory capture) or b)Ineffective at enforcing the laws that cover their sector.

Note there is a line where mandating data requirements crosses over into internal operational decisions about the database. But the gas and electricity utility providers managed to figure out how to deal with this, why can't banks and ISP's ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it just me

or is this a solution to a problem we don't have ?

The only time I've had problems switching suppliers of anything was when you wanted to keep your mobile number - and the PAC code regulations fixed that.

Beyond that, I've managed to remember my name, address and bank details to give to any new supplier of any service I want.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Is it just me

No it's not just you. Having read the article I still don't know what problem they're supposed to be solving.

1. KeithR

Re: Is it just me

I'm a Data Protection professional, and I'm struggling to see why this matters...

3. g e

Sounds like CSV exports to me

Or did I miss something

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Broader Scope

I'd love to see legislation for agreed open standards on all data.

Documents, Databases, file formats, games, etc.

You pick the software / hardware / service provider and they'll have no problems using the data.

1. NotBob

Re: Broader Scope

Given politicians' apparent bent against knowing anything about technology, you may be asking for standards you don't want.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like