back to article 'Fairly bad core bug' crushed in Linux 4.4-rc5

Linux Lord Linus Torvalds says the fourth release candidate of Linux 4.4 contained “a fairly bad core bug” that's since been squashed, but may not have rung many alarm bells anyway. “Another week, another rc,” Torvalds writes on the Linux Kernel mailing list, before going on to say that development work is progressing as usual …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

No that one is not

It is just fugly.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Meh

Difference of opinion

El Reg have made a story from a bug that was introduced & fixed in a release candidate/beta version of software.

Over at lwn.net, the bug fix doesn't even get a mention..

Could this be an El Reg scare-mongering/click-bait article...?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Difference of opinion

The uml one is _NOT_ even a bug. It is a necessary UML architecture specific fix because core APIs have changed and was needed to keep it up to date.

Reg needs to learn to read changelogs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Note that this is a bug introduced and fixed in the same 4.4rc series, so it will only affect people who use these kernels for testing.

Had this been in a released kernel then it would have merited more attention perhaps.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Could this be an El Reg scare-mongering/click-bait article...?

At least the author could have bothered to explain what the bug was. I didn't quite get it from skimming the mailing list.

4. Saigua

Re: Difference of opinion #newsworthiness #NewYearsTriggerAllTheThings

Just in case you wanted the (or a, or the person with the maturity of a) 12y.o. kid to experience hot-side kernels, you'd want to be aware of this. If that's boring, you can tell them nobody will be doing any kind of plumbing (kernel, clean water, used water, hazfluid, bongs, routers, serializers; none) in 10 years and see what they turn forth and whether UML and IME work with it.

3. Mike 125

oh dear

@ emouse and Voland

Ahh, it's so satisfying being a click-bait whinger, always first to click, never anything to add, just waiting to pounce, needing.... needing... that thrill of knowing you're first.

It's ok.

I know.

I feel your highs and your lows.

Somebody cares.

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Torvalds declares that bug “a bit embarrassing”

Seems an uncharacteristically mild comment from him, is he back on the meds? Or did he write this bug himself, instead of finding one written by some fucking incompetent shit-for-brains compiler-masturbating excuse for a programmer like they usually are?

1. TeeCee Gold badge

To me that says: "This is the sort of error that anyone who's skim read the first few chapters of 'larn yerself C' should have spotted instantly. But nobody did.".

2. Steven Raith

Torvalds, traditionally, tends only to get a bit grumpy when people let poor code through high level merges (when their job is to spot basic stuff and prevent it getting that far) or refuse to take responsibility for their mistakes.

I'd guess whomever introduced this bug facepalmed, then worked on getting it fixed, as you do - hence no ranting from Torvalds.

If he was as difficult a personality as people suggest he is, he'd not still be at the head of the project - he'd just be credited as creating the kernel and left alone/sidelined - as he'd be more trouble than he's worth.

But yet that is not what we see. Odd that.

Steven R

1. asdf

@Steven R - yep if you had to deal daily with the narcissistic not invented here wankers from Red Hat (and that is one company, although probably the worst to deal with what with their vested interests) you would probably not come across so well either. That said him saying someone should cut the brake lines or put something in the coffee of the ARM guys publicly was a bridge too far.

1. Steven Raith

" That said him saying someone should cut the brake lines or put something in the coffee of the ARM guys publicly was a bridge too far."

"Ok. I still really despise the absolute incredible sh*t that is non-discoverable buses, and I hope that ARM SoC hardware designers all die in some incredibly painful accident. DT only does so much.

So if you see any, send them my love, and possibly puncture the brake-lines on their car and put a little surprise in their coffee, ok?"

Yeah, totally sounds like he's calling for someone to actually try to kill someone.

No, sorry, sounds like hyperbole. My mistake!

Steven R

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Seems an uncharacteristically mild comment from him

That's how he normally writes. Not that you could know just from reading The Register.

And do you realise the guy, famous or not, is an actual, living person? Why would you call someone you have never met sick ("is he on the meds") or an hypocrite ("his own bug")? Would you make the same comment to his, or anyone else's, face? If you wouldn't, please refrain from posting it here--it is not helpful, it does not make you look cool, it is just rude whether spoken or written, so what's the point?

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Would you make the same comment to his, or anyone else's, face?

Yes, which is why I didn't post it here as AC. He doesn't have a problem with offensive, in-your-face ad-hominem attacks on people if he thinks they are appropriate, and I'd certainly much rather work in a team with people who speak their mind honestly, even insultingly, than with a bunch of politically-correct wusses who are scared to offend anyone.

But if it helps, I'll use the Joke icon next time, OK?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> But if it helps, I'll use the Joke icon next time, OK?

That is a strange sense of humour, if I may.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like