back to article Microsoft releases Windows Live Writer as open source

Microsoft has released Windows Live Writer, a popular blog authoring tool, as an open source project on GitHub, under the MIT licence. The original Live Writer was developed by a company called Onfolio, founded by JJ Allaire when he left Allaire Corporation, the business he founded with his brother Jeremy to create web …

1. Crazy Operations Guy

And with a rational license too...

What the hell has happened at Microsoft? With the new Linux Cert and now releasing old code with a rational license...

Maybe now that Bill and the Chair-tossing monkey have left, rationality is breaking out.

1. Captain Scarlet
      Windows

Re: And with a rational license too...

MS probably can't be bothered to migrate it away from IE to EDGE.

2. David Pollard

A plug for .NET?

Is this perhaps intended as a way to get .NET installed more widely on Mac and Linux boxes?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the key.snk file on GitHub?

Is .snk a "sign key"?? Hope it isn't...

4. David Webb

Microsoft seems to enjoy putting awesome software on the back burner, even now, for home use, MS Money is possibly the best home finance software (easy to use, nice information presentation etc.), so sticking all their great products which they have dumped out as Open Source can only be a good thing.

I doubt they would do it with MS Money though, it would be a strong target for miscreants to steal financial information, which is a shame, it's still the best I've found.

1. energystar
      Facepalm

MS Money: Maybe encapsulating it.

Maybe leaving fin data at Azure [and monetizing Azure, Not the Software]. Cheez! Sounding myself PR!

5. Quortney Fortensplibe
    WTF?

"...Favourite blogging tool..."

Never bleedin' heard of it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just rember Google Blogger sites will not be accessible during this transition. Microsoft Live Writer "depends" on the Old Google auth protocol which they switched "off" 12-11-2015 and locked everyone out who uses Microsoft Live Writer on a Google Blogger website. The new Open Live Writer does not have code yet for using the protocol fashionistas at Google "mandate" forced update.. Google just loves playing "hide the ball" with everyone.. they've become the new AOL.

7. Deadly Headshot

VirtualPC

If this works, perhaps we can petition Microsoft to release VirtualPC as Open Source - it's a lot more compatible than VirtualBox and often (weirdly for a Microsoft product) more reliable too!

8. energystar
    Angel

Is MIT license enough...

to protect its Community for MS madness winds? Sounds good news to me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like