back to article Enraged Brits demand Donald Trump UK ban

Enraged British citizens in their thousands are rushing to sign an e-petition demanding US presidential wannabe and blow-dried rabble-rouser Donald Trump be barred from darkening the UK's doors. As won't have escaped your notice, Trump has got himself into a bit of bother by suggesting "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims …

Page:

1. Vimes

Is it really worth worrying about the comments coming from a self obsessed narcissist with delusions of mediocrity? He's not even been selected as the republican candidate yet, and the only thing that all this noise achieves is give him the attention he seems to crave.

Ignore him. It's the only thing that will truly piss him off if enough people do it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The world doesn't work that way. The mass media decides how to filter information in accordance with their own agendas. If the media decides to hang off Trump's every word, then that's exactly what the masses will see.

On top of that, many people are pre-disposed to agree with what he's saying, but even if they don't, repetition is a key propaganda technique because it makes an extremist view point appear less extreme over time.

2. BlartVersenwaldIII

Agreed, this is the sort of publicity that Trump seems to thrive on. Indeed it's easily spinnable into the kind of bullshit he likes to spout.

"See? The UK is so radicalised that those damned muslims broke into parliament and changed the laws so that I couldn't visit them!"

Tut, roll your eyes and ignore the kid having a tantrum in the supermarket please, unless you want to be the one buying him sweets.

In a related interview, Trump said: "I’m not insane. But we’re up against an entire religion that wants to control all the hair in the world".

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Truth to Power

The Left is going into total meltdown over someone with the balls to attack their shibboleths. Good. It's about time all those "untouchable" PC sand castles were kicked over.

Oh, and good luck trying to ignore President Trump. Here in the US we're finding it difficult to impossible to ignore the traitor in the White House right now.

1. Triggerfish

Re: Truth to Power

I would happily let president Trump in. I would make sure every official and MP he deals with is of a darker skin persuasion and chuck in some atheists for good measure.

Kicking down PC sand castles is one thing, but be honest mate thats an excuse being used to come out with the sort of speeches that have sounded like he copied them from original German drafts from somewhere around 1930 ish.

Traitor in the White house, love that sort of thing strikes me that some of the most vociferous defenders of freedom and democracy, don't like the process when someone they disagree with is voted in democratically.

A word of advice. When you use juvenile and derogatory tactics like rewriting someone's name (RayGun) you negate any chance of being taken seriously by intelligent people. ;-/

So anyway go on about traitors in the White house again. :)

2. deathchurch
        Thumb Up

Good word shibboleth, and you are 100% right, wish we had someone that would stand up the political correct nazis...

3. Naughtyhorse
        Facepalm

Classic...

President trump.

you sir win the internet today.

whaddya mean the twat is serious?

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hang on, isn't Trump trying to create a shibboleth, not attack one? He's seeking to create a token that can be used to divide people.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not at all, the token that can be used to divide people is ALREADY in the Whitehouse!

5. Richard Altmann

Personal insults are not accepted in The Reg. There is a thesis out that if enough monkeys are put in front of typewriters ...

1. Munzly The Hermit

"if enough monkeys are put in front of typewriters" - one of them will throw it out of the window and buy an Amstrad.....

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

one of them will throw it out of the window and buy an Amstrad.....

And three and a half days after the warranty expires the hard drive will die... noisily!

6. Martin-73 Silver badge

Traitor in the white house

@Big John So we know what colour your house is now

7. Peter Simpson 1
        FAIL

Here in the US we're finding it difficult to impossible to ignore the traitor in the White House right now.

Not all of us. Some of us think he's doing a better job than Trump could. Especially, when it comes to reasoned discussion of the threats facing us.

1. Chris Hunt

"Some of us think he's doing a better job than Trump could."

To be fair, a potato would do a better job than Trump could.

1. Tim Jenkins

...a potato would do a better job than Trump...

or, as some Republicans would have it, a potatoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdqbi66oNuI

(Whatever happened to him, apart from being forever known as George W's Number Two?)

8. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Atlas the right right

What we want is a law making it mandatory to vote for idiots in America.

It is the critical need of all candidates of the Geography Over Politics hopefuls. For too long the population has been prevented from getting the leadership it needs by a jewish nigger loving popular press.

Let us hope god will finally answer our prayers as we haven't had a really good laugh in nearly a decade.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Big Brother

Re: There are two points of view

> "UK is not alone here - similar efforts are going across Europe at the moment."

I don't doubt it. That's how control freaks roll.

"We, the assembled good nations of Earth, declare Mr Trump (and all who voted for him) to be guilty of hate speech (as defined by the most fanatical among us) and thus he is a thought criminal. He is not welcome in our countries, and should he try to enter, will be stopped at the borders. In this way we preserve our people from being exposed to non-approved ideas which could cause harm to impressionable children. Mr. Trump, for shame!"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

A word of advice. When you use juvenile and derogatory tactics like rewriting someone's name (RayGun) you negate any chance of being taken seriously by intelligent people. ;-/

1. captain veg

> you negate any chance of being taken seriously by intelligent people

Tempted to reply "how would you know?", but you're obviously trolling.

-A.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

You are aware that Rush Limbaugh uses that name-changing tactic too? It's one reason I don't listen to him. Interesting that you and Rush are on the same page...

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"juvenile and derogatory tactics like rewriting someone's name (RayGun) "

He got called that back in the 80s. Strategic defense initiative and all that.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Ah well, just goes to show that some slurs are too good to give up!

BTW, at the time I was 22, and was one of the people being derogatory towards (ahem) RayGun. Not about SDI, really. I just liked to call people names I guess. Foolish youth!

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: There are two points of view - Strategic defense initiative and all that.

Good Lord I remember that. I remember discussing "brilliant pebbles" and the general conclusion that it was totally ridiculous, would never work, and if we bid for some research funds for EM shielding, how much money might we get and for how long?

Great days...when funds were available for off the wall defense research rather than social media.

3. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"He got called that back in the 80s."

He was called that by Jeff Shurtleff at Woodstock in 69 when he [RayGun Zap] was Guvnor of California (see Drug Store Truck Drivin Man)

4. Steve Gill

It goes all the way back to Woodstock at least

Sheesh, the youth of today ... ;)

5. beep54
                Headmaster

"He got called that back in the 80s." Actually way before that. We were calling him RayGun way back in the 60's. The Star Wars thing just made it more appropriate.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"When you use juvenile and derogatory tactics l...you negate any chance of being taken seriously by intelligent people."

Good point. Would references to the traitor in the White House be an example?

5. Someone Else Silver badge
              Facepalm

When you use juvenile and derogatory tactics like rewriting someone's name (RayGun) [...]

Yeah! Exactly like the guy who wrote about the "traitor in the White House"!

Oh, wait....

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

What's juvenile about mentioning the obvious? I didn't change Mr. Obama's name (never have). I merely described what I think he is, using the most appropriate word. You are free to disagree, but you are not free to suggest I'm being juvenile or derogatory when I state defensible opinions using simple English words, sorry.

1. Fraggle850

@ Big John Re: There are two points of view

I don't see why you consider this particular president to be treacherous, perhaps you'd care to elucidate?

1. Dan Paul

Re: @ Big John There are two points of view

Because Obama the traitor, lied to the American people from the first moment he opened his mouth about every topic he's ever brought up. Obama does not like this country and has done nothing but divide it since he became president.

He violated his oath of office, is still attempting to ruin this country financially, kowtows to foreign leaders, defamed previous presidents and elected officials, interfered with the Military and the rules of engagement helping to kill many of our soldiers, kissed the ass of Putin and the Ayatollah, is responsible for the mess in Syria, Libya and Iraq and soon will be in Afghanistan, violated the US Constitution and Bill of Rights, lied to the American people about the "Syrian Refugees" calling them "Widows and Orphans" when it is quite clear in the video from European news that over 30% of these so called refugee's are military age men, refuses to call these terrorists what they are and disallows DHS DOJ, FBI CIA etc to call them what they are which is "Islamic Terrorists".

Oh and backpedaled and lied like hell when he found out that the "Domestic Terrorists" in San Bernardino California were really Islamic Murderers and that one of them had already been "vetted" the same way this dolt suggests we would check the backgrounds of these same "Syrian Refugees".

Funny how just looking at her Farcebook postings of a few years ago would have shown she was a jihadi, but that Obama again, he decreed that DHS and OPM can't examine someone's Farcebook history when doing a background check.

2. Richard Altmann
                  Coat

I only came to The Reg for the BOFH and had a good time with everything that came with it. Well it´s fun when the censors let a troll have a run, but only up to a point. I´m out of here.

1. LucreLout Silver badge

@Richard Altman

Well it´s fun when the censors let a troll have a run, but only up to a point. I´m out of here.

While I disagree with Big John, I'm not really sure that he's trolling. His posts seem to indicate that he believes what he's saying as opposed to only saying it to get a rise out of the commentariat.

Moderation on El Reg has been of a consistently higher standard than pretty well any other site I've visited regularly and is one of the sites strengths.... just don't tell the mods I said that.

6. Dr Scrum Master

Yeah, nobody intelligent takes Private Eye seriously, err...

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just underscores that the UK does not have freedom of speech

Poor brits.

"I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves." - Harriet Tubman

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: Just underscores that the UK does not have freedom of speech

Just underscores that the UK, unlike certain (very small) parts of murica does have a collective IQ larger than it's shoe size.

there! fixed it for you.

2. Steve Crook

Yup, I bet Trump and his supporters are really worried and monitoring the growth of the petition in the UK because of all the damage it's going to do to his campaign in the US. Not.

For those that voted in the petition, have you not been paying attention? This is what Trump wants, the more he appears to have upset SJW's, the more he appeals to his core audience who already feel ignored and alienated in their own country and the more chance there is of him getting the nomination.

Before everyone cheers thinking this'll mean 4 years of Hillary, it very probably will, but there's many a slip between cup and lip...

1. Daniel Fiander

Trump pretty much blackmailed his own party the other day saying if he wasn't the official candidate, he'd run as an independent and continue to make as much noise.

That's pretty much an overt threat to his own party saying "make me official or I'll split the republican vote" in a similar way to how Woodrow Wilson won as Democrat in 1912.

1. Dan Paul

Do you always lie? Does your media always lie? Yes, appears so.

Must be since Donald Trump SIGNED A PLEDGE TO NOT RUN AS AN INDEPENDENT! He has addressed this multiple times in the media, but you have to lie.

But hey, lets not let a little lie get any traction.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Extremely sad

I laughed at someone earlier who signed this, as he didn't see the irony of a petition banning trump from the UK becuase trump wanted to ban muslims from America.

He went onto claim that what trump is saying is how Hitler started. I pointed out that Hitler started out because everyone just did what everyone else did, and signing the petition becuase Facebook said so is more akin to the birth of the third Reich.

He still didn't get it.

Whilst trump is an idiot, even bigger idiots are signing this. Clearly trump's campaign is nothing to do with presidential campaign, its just a publicity stunt, nothing more.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: Extremely sad

There is considerable difference between banning 1.6 billion muslims because of the actions of a few thousand, and banning Donald Trump because of the actions of Donald Trump. I'm rather partial to a spot of irony myself but I'm not sure it really applies here.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Where is the petition for banning Islamic terrorists from coming into the UK ?

400,000 votes to ban Donald Trump visiting is hardly surprising when there are about 3 million Muslims in the UK.

1. Munzly The Hermit

I very much doubt that it's UK Muslims signing the petition. I suspect it's a wide range of UK citizens with a mischievous sense of humour!

The only real response to a goof like T is laughter. Here in the UK the word "Trump" means a loud anal discharge of foetid gas.

2. Quortney Fortensplibe
    Paris Hilton

Who Trumped?*

I'd hate to see someone with his jingoistic views getting into power. It could completely tarnish the US's reputation as international peacemaker and fluffy kitten dispenser.

[*For readers of an overseas disposition, 'trump' = 'fart', in the vernacular of the North-West of England]

1. graeme leggett

Re: Who Trumped?*

"in the vernacular of the North-West of England"

In the vernacular of much of England. Certainly remember sniggering over word when learning whist and other card games as a youngster.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who Trumped?*

[*For readers of an overseas disposition, 'trump' = 'fart', in the vernacular of the North-West of England]

In the U.S., that would be referred to as "butt trumpet".

Which also sums up my opinion of Donald Trump's speeches, and I consider myself to be a moderate conservative.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019