back to article Airbnb confirms it raised $1.5bn in spite of regulatory worries

Airbnb has confirmed it has raised a mega $1.5bn (£1bn) in funding, according to a filing the company placed with the US Securities and Exchange Commission. Back in July, The Wall Street Journal reported the funding round would value the company at $24bn (£15bn), meaning it will soon be worth more than actual hotel chain …

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Basically another middleman listings website

Wow

This seems to be the way to separate investors from their money.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: Basically another middleman listings website

$1.5Bn seems like chicken-feed in the current overvaluation frenzy, I mean Instagram was overvalued at $1Bn, and at some stage Snapchat was valued at 3 Instagrams, but were holding out for more.

I actually rather hope it all implodes soon as it's clearly bollocks, sadly though various pension schemes will have invested in this shit and Joe Punter will suffer the kids whilst Torquil Trader will have had his bonus and fucked off to somewhere he can't be traced.

2. BigAndos

Air B&B is really hit and miss, you can tell they do minimal vetting of owners and listings. I've recently been trying to book somewhere and most of the owners never respond to you. The listings are usually vague with poor quality pictures e.g. a place won't tell you how many beds there are. Unless they spend a bit of that cash improving quality they may struggle in the long term. I voted with my wallet and used a dedicated cottage rental website in the end!

3. FuzzyTheBear
    Pint

Matter of also being legal.

Many of the places advertised here in Quebec have no operation permit, no sanitary control , no quality assurance and no way in hell you can be sure you won't sleep in a bedfull of bugs.Here it's really controversial because any person can get on and there is no control , not even a way to make sure they pay their taxes to the government. It's nice that " it can be done " but the how it's done is a health risk and in case of a dispute join the line of people that got screwed with no recourse.

I'm sticking to more traditional lawfull businesses that play by the book. I'm worth a clean bed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Matter of also being legal.

Being legal or via a travel agent doesn't guarantee they won't be shit-holes - I've stayed in several, and there is no recourse for reimbursement via the travel agent for the poor quality of hygiene, food or facilities.

As such, I've moved to self-catering via reputable firms who sell apartments and cottages with a transparent trustworthy rating system (not the full-of-crap reports you get from TripAdvisor).

And I wouldn't use AirBnB if you paid me!

4. Schlimnitz

Used AirBnB multiple times and have always had good experiences.

However the last time I tried to book they wanted a photocopy of my passport.

Uhrm, sorry, but no. Just no.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon