back to article Let's get to the bottom of in-app purchases that go titsup

I have paid to watch a fat French man’s thrusting buttocks on TV. But something has gone wrong. Despite my attempts to display gallic grinding on the living room screen, my TV is – quite literally – not playing ball. It’s not what you think. Actually, on reflection, yes it probably is. I had better explain. This week I …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lawn: Get off it now!

Maybe because I wasted too many precious hours of my teenage years reinstalling yet another hosed Windows 9x install, but I literally don't have the time to f**k about with fake Amazon coins, and buying disappearing films "in-app".

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: Lawn: Get off it now!

Well I spent almost an entire day of one of my early teen years installing Windows 95 on a knackered 2x cd rom drive that wasn't screwed into the chassis. I can't have you think you had it so bad without comment thank you!

I expect more tales of 'up north' woe to appear below this one. Only please note I'm not up north I'm in the middle.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
        Devil

Meh, windows 95 installs were easy ... as long as you remembered to shed blood inside the case before you closed it.

Blood sacrifice - never fails.

2. BillG
        Joke

In a fit of irony, all the videos on this article will not play, showing instead "Error 2025".

(I ask again that El Reg create an icon for irony.)

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Try this

The real men start in 2 minutes. I believe the head of an axe used by these athletes weighs about 6 pounds and it is flying at the end of a three foot stick:

https://youtu.be/YnBHaq6rzcE

2. Shadow Systems

Gérard Depardieu shafting kittens on Youtube?

Why did the kitten cross the internet?

He was stuck in the Frenchman.

*Runs away*

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

Youtube is not just for kitten videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGfYHTJitlo

1. tony2heads
      Trollface

Re: Youtube is not just for kitten videos

Next to that item on Yotube were (when I pulled it up) "Reacting to my teenage computer" - reasonable enough, and then "5 most brutal prisons in history".

Does the 2nd item say something about Mr Dabbs home life, or the conditions he works under?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bwahahaha - epic find, thanks.

3. Bill M

Yes it is. Kittens are why Tim Berners Lee invented the internet and YouTube is part of the internet. QED.

4. Richard 12 Silver badge

Those idents need epilepsy warning!

I've not seen anything so genuinely painful since the last art-house film I accidentally caught in the the corner of my eye.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

But the Guardian says it's "ENGROSSING" (don't they mean "engorging"?)

Though I don't know what about Office Sluts & Fat Guys could ever be eng.rw...whatever.

5. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

And to think that I spent all my Windows 98 days wondering why MAC users filled 2.5 GB drives with pictures.

It never occurred to me they were pictures of children playing, nor that grown men would spend evenings filming children at birthday parties after spending 2000 quid for the apparatus to make it all worth while.

Which begs the question:

What apparatus did Cyril Smith use?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's page 2?

6. frank ly

Maybe this is one of the reasons why ....

.... people downoad from torrents?

7. John Tserkezis

"To this day, I find SCART an amazing hardware interface"

Don't be. SCART was created to simplify the millions of different cables to cater for Audio, Composite Video, Component Video, RGB, both in and out. It was implied, if one device only had one type of video connection, the receiving device would be able to cater for that. In practice that never happened. Ever.

Worse still, while it was wildly popular in Europe, it wasn't here in Australia, so with the odd device that came into the country with only SCART, we needed adaptors apon adaptors, and made the cable situation worse.

"I purchase a handful of virtual Amazon Coins"

I'd have alarm bells ringing from there. Are they like Itchy and Scratchy money? You know, the pretend "money" you're forced to buy to use within Itchy and Scratchy Land, but no-one there takes it anyway?

1. Mage Silver badge

Re SCART

Purely invented as a Tarriff wall by French. A TV had to have Peritel (SCART) to be allowed to be imported and sold. It was meant to be really cheap, which meant that the cables would easily fall off. It was a failure for intended purpose as everyone selling to France simply added them. They never really made to USA which prefered RCA connectors for EVERYTHING! (RF, audio, phono, Y/C aka s-video, composite video, stereo record / playback-- four cables instead of a DIN, component video, HD Component etc).

SCART could have done HD, but by time (much later than USA because PAL higher resolution than NTSC) HD came to Europe, copy protected Digital connections preferred.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Devil

Re: Re SCART

Couple that with SECAM instead of PAL and we can only assume that the powers that be in France thought colour television was the le travail du diable but as they couldn't get away with banning it they just decided to make it a horrible experience instead.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

SCART (Peritel to the French) was invented as a way to easily connect a Canal+ decoder to a TV, and mandated on all TVs as state-aid to Canal+. The tarif-wall advantages only appeared later.

SECAM was a French invention, and in post-1950s Gaullist France there was no way in hell that they were going to pick a German system like PAL to replace it, even though PAL was better and, at the time, cheaper to implement.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

That would be an English system like PAL.

And (as an aside) because of the continuous FM colour subcarrier that SECAM uses, it's impossible to mix two SECAM images together. So every French TV studio had to decode video and work in the RGB domain, or (quelle horreur!) do the much cheaper approach of transcoding to PAL, use PAL internally, and transcode to SECAM as the signal left the building...

1. JulieM Silver badge

I think you'll find PAL is about as English as Queen Victoria .....

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: Re SCART -I think you'll find PAL is about as English as Queen Victoria ....

Upvoted for a very clever and accurate observation.

Is there still a special relationship between England and Hannover?

1. JulieM Silver badge

Re: Re SCART -I think you'll find PAL is about as English as Queen Victoria ....

Afraid it was just a Blackadder reference (Blackadder Goes Forth, Episode 5: Plan E, General Hospital).

As for the Hannover bit ..... Only if you're too cheap to pay for a proper PAL decoder with a delay line :)

1. Anonymous Custard

https://youtu.be/x7px5FZ9jD4

A slightly more up to date education, albeit not the "proper" video to go with it.

2. Scott Wheeler

> Is there still a special relationship between England and Hannover?

No. Hanover had Salic law (monarchs must be male), so Victoria could not inherit it when she came to the throne.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Re SCART - SECAM

Systeme Essentiellement Contraire AMericaine.

8. Mage Silver badge

Totally irrelevant fact

The first UK set top boxes were to add Band III (for ITV) to older Band I only sets (BBC 1 only) around 1955. Some earlier sets couldn't work if moved from London to Birmingham as they had only a single factory aligned channel.

Cable TV in USA was probably the first major set box market.

Fire TV and Apple TV are more misleading than AMDs 4 module Bulldozers as they are not TVs, no screen and no tuner. They are media streaming gadgets, not TVs.

1. g00se
      Linux

Re: Totally irrelevant fact

... and Java was invented for set top boxes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set-top_box

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Java is the devil's work in C's braces.

But the GC is nice.

1. phil dude
          Coat

A horrible fact, that Python is Java with no braces, so you can see its arse...

P.

Who makes whitespace part of a programming control syntax? (WTF^10000)

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Who makes whitespace part of a programming control syntax?

You can't win, though. Fortran pays no heed to whitespace, hence the notorious space program bug where a line like:

DO 20 I = 1,10

(loop to statement 20, 10 times, incrementing I each time) was mistyped as

DO 20 I = 1.10

so instead of a loop the compiler obediently created a variable named "DO20I" and assigned it the value of 1.1, then did the loop code once with some indeterminate value of I.

2. Deltics

Autocrats who despair of ever getting free thinking individuals to conform to their mandated code formatting style. Making it part of the syntax solves that particular problem.

3. Martin Budden Silver badge

Who makes whitespace part of a programming control syntax?

Edwin Brady and Chris Morris

2. John 110
          Joke

"...But the GC is nice...."

Speaking from the perspective of a diagnostic microbiologist, I would NEVER describe the GC as nice...

9. Manolo
    Headmaster

Sacrebleu

“I think that I shall never view / A French film without Depardieu.”

Yes, I think most anglophones would pronounce Depardieu as if to rhyme with view.

Hint: it does not. It rhymes with a Danish cow: møøø.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Sacrebleu

Brits can pronounce it but Americans such as John Updike might not. I also hear that they refer to Van Gogh as "Van Goe" and that even Weird Al Yankovic pronounces his surname "Yankovick".

1. MrT

Reminds me of Alan Partridge interviewing Michel Lambert, France's second-best racing driver...

2. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

Americans pronounce "note dame" as "no-terr dayme"

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Just what exactly is a "note dame"? Sounds intriguing...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And tomato as tomato. Let's call the whole thing off.

3. g00se

Indeed. Similarly Alan Harper's mother's definition of chiropractor in Two and a Half Men:

That's a masseuse without the hot oil.

(Rhymes with 'moose')

4. DropBear
        IT Angle

...insert obligatory joke made by Niklaus Wirth himself about Europeans calling him by name and Americans by worth...

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Europeans calling him by name and Americans by worth

"by value", not "by worth". Otherwise the joke doesn't, y'know, work.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

To force the rhyme I read "view" as "v-yer".

The things I do for a cheap laugh.

10. tony2heads

Old TVs

you forgot the high-pitched whine of the flyback transformer; a sound that I remember from childhood

1. JulieM Silver badge

Re: Old TVs

Well, he wouldn't be able to hear it now anyway .....

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Headmaster

Or the ultrasound remote control which made the cats jump.

1. Alistair Dabbs

If your TV had a remote control when you were a child, you are clearly not old enough. The closest I got to a TV remote control before my mid-20s was a foam rubber joke brick we used to throw at the set to push in the OFF button.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

"If your TV had a remote control when you were a child, you are clearly not old enough"

Indeed, not conducive to late night channel 4 viewing when someone came downstairs.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon