back to article 'I posted winning race ticket in Facebook selfie ... and someone stole it!'

An Australian woman says she lost out on AU$900 (US$643, £418) after someone lifted her winning race ticket from a Facebook photo. Chantelle, whose last name was not given, said she won the money on 100-1 long-shot Prince of Penzance at Tuesday's Melbourne Cup horse race. Shortly after the race, the Perth woman snapped a …

Silver badge

Obviously intelligence is not involved in either betting or boasting.

However, enjoy your fun and the lesson. And a chicken dinner can be had for around 6$AU.

Re: Obviously intelligence is not involved in either betting or boasting.

… and certainly not FaceBook

Silver badge

>Obviously intelligence is not involved in either betting or boasting.

It seems it's easily done: only a couple of years ago a Reg writer included a photo in an article in which his credit card details could be read (except of course for those numbers on the back by the signature strip). I won't speculate on whether the bank account or credit limit of Reg hack is worth ripping off! : )

I guess credit cards could be printed with a pattern such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation which would then cause a camera to blur the surrounding area.... Yes, I know that's an overly complicated and tech-heavy solution to a problem that could just be avoided with some care, but hey, that's why I read the Reg.

EDIT: Even easier solution for things like betting stubs and gig tickets - print half the required information on the reverse side.

Headmaster

Yep - she should think of it as school fees

Silver badge

There is no shortage of stupidity:

http://i.imgur.com/pksOtvx.jpg

Silver badge
Thumb Up

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

"It seems it's easily done: only a couple of years ago a Reg writer included a photo in an article in which his credit card details could be read (except of course for those numbers on the back by the signature strip)."

It's for that reason that, when I took and uploaded a picture of my Raspberry Pi with a "credit card" for size comparison, what I actually used was my Costa Coffee Club card; no identity information on the front.

"Yes, I know that's an overly complicated and tech-heavy solution to a problem that could just be avoided with some care, but hey, that's why I read the Reg."

On The Reg, NO solution is overly complicated or tech heavy!

Paris Hilton

Yes, her friends were to blame.

Silver badge

With friends like these

who needs enemas?

Silver badge

Re: With friends like these

I wouldn't mind giving it a go to be quite honest. I've heard it's like walking on air afterwards.

Silver badge

@allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"who needs enemas?"

Or a catheter, nothing like taking the piss out eh?

Silver badge

"who needs enemas?"

Squawk!

Silver badge

Timely reminder to us

We need to remember that the ordinary user out there simply might not quite realise what a jungle the interwebs are.

Sometimes it feels a bit like giving matches to 5 year olds.

Silver badge

Re: Timely reminder to us

Except 5-year olds will sometimes ask: "What does this do?"

Anonymous Coward

Re: Timely reminder to us

"We can't selfie here, this is bandit country"

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Facebook could really benefit from an 'Acquaintances' option, since people use it as a contacts directory.

10,000 people who you have not spoken to once, are not, "friends", in any sense. They are just people you spoke to once.

FTFY

"Facebook could really benefit from an 'Acquaintances' option, since people use it as a contacts directory."

What... like the Acquaintances option it already has?

Silver badge

Or people that people you spoke to once spoke to once.

(Or people that.........)

Headmaster

"10,000 people whom you have..."

FTFY.

It already does. When you go to a friend's profile, you can select which "group" they're in and acquaintance is one of them. I put people I don't know well in there and make sure my posts are only seen by people in the "friend" group. That way I stay connected with the others and they don't get bored by my posts or get a peek into my personal life. A lot of people complain about Facebook, but in the spirit of normal users, they simply don't understand how to use the thing properly.

the photo was limited to Facebook friends.

This demonstrates the difference between, "facebook friends", and real friends.

10,000 people who you have spoken to once, are not, "friends", in any sense. They are just people you spoke to once.

Or with the irritating FessBook feature "Add this twit to your friends", someone you have never spoken to or met or would ever want to meet.

+1 as I assume you're joking.

Meh

Maybe it's for the best...

She probably would have spent it all on more so-called hats or head-wear like she is wearing in the picture.

Devil

Re: Maybe it's for the best...

Must be a race-watching thing, I hear that the Kentucky Derby is an annual milliners' dream (for sales) or nightmare (to witness).

That's part of Melbourne Cup culture - the women all compete to see who can front up in the most elaborate and outlandish headgear!

Isn't that what they call a masturbator?

Nah, it's called a fascinator.

The masturbator is the hipster she went there with.

TRT
Silver badge

Maybe she was having a Kentucky Derby fried chicken dinner.

Facepalm

Reminds me of when FEMA gave out debit cards to Hurricane Katrina refugees and one of them was persuaded to show it off for the TV news. Exactly what you would expect happened.

I think people have a hard time grasping that when you have something like a ticket or a credit card, it's the information written on it, not just the physical item that you have to protect.

Silver badge

I've had to blur barcodes

in pictures posted by friends for concert tickets and the like ... of course they thought I was paranoid!

Thumb over the barcode/number/last name...ALWAYS!

Anonymous Coward

item or information?

"I think people have a hard time grasping that when you have something like a ticket or a credit card, it's the information written on it, not just the physical item that you have to protect."

It depends. You don't have to protect the information printed on a bank note. (It's not really your problem if someone fakes a tenner with the same serial number, and it's unlikely to affect you if they did.) If you were given a concert ticket made of cardboard or plastic with a hologram in the corner then you probably don't have to protect the information printed on it. If you printed the ticket yourself then you probably do have to protect the information printed on it, but in the case of a flight ticket you probably don't have to worry too much seeing as they typically want the passenger to produce both a passport with a matching name in it and the bank card that was used to purchase the ticket, and for security reasons they probably wouldn't let the plane depart if you were to turn up at the airport and tell them that they have someone on the plane who isn't who they claimed to be...

If a company sold you a physical ticket and didn't tell you to protect the information printed on it then the company should presumably compensate you if the company couldn't accept the ticket because the company had been conned by someone using a fake ticket. Cost of fraud should be met by the people who are in a position to do something about it.

If I remember correctly, gambling debts are rather a special case in English law...

When did we start using US$ here?

Thank you so much for converting AUD to USD (twice!) within the story.

I must have been asleep when we stopped using GBP here...

Thumb Down

Re: When did we start using US$ here?

I mentioned this last week and just got a load of downvotes!

And it's happened again!

(but not by me!)

This post has been deleted by its author

El Reg's attraction of snarky tech and vaguely-tech news and the Bastard Operator from Hell couldn't POSSIBLY be of any possible interest to any English-speaking audience outside the United Kingdom (and maybe Ireland, if they're particularly drunk and/or sober,) right?

Hell, El Reg has a San Fran office, don't they? I don't think it's unreasonable for the stories to carry the conversion that those of us yankees will understand without having to visit xe.

Im in danger of having more downvotes than upvotes from this, boo bloody hoo.

The only thing consistently British about El Reg is the 'co.uk' domain. I think it raises people's expectations too much.

[Mine included]

Silver badge
Coat

theregister.com works as well as the uk.co version... almost like a redirect ;)

El Reg does have a office in San Francisco. However, if they had written the story, it would have been about the hat, not the race ticket....

Remember someone posted their airline tickets on facebook

They found out they already had checked in when having their tickets checked at the check-in.

name change

Ahmadinejad had a photo taken during 2009 vote -- and it came out that he was born Sabourjian , changed name later

Apparently her post was friends only viewable. Oops.

Silver badge

Right.. real friends that you know because FB says it's your "friends" list. Some people shouldn't be allowed to be within 100 feet of a computer or "smartphone"...

Silver badge

Just as likely...

...but much less entertaining, is that she was photographed by a crook using a super-zoom compact camera at the race course while she jumped up and down shouting "I've won I've won" or whatever.

Re: Just as likely...

Less likely but more entertaining:

The wifi communication from the phone was compromised and the culprit decrypted the traffic as the photo was being uploaded?

http://www.afr.com/technology/melbourne-cup-goes-high-tech-with-wifi-20130909-j0f5o

Rule #1 peoples:

You ain't won jack until the cash is in your pocket!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018