back to article Google: We made India a consumer society and our work here is done

In 2012, Google decided it needed to kickstart India's e-commerce sector, and created "The Great Online Shopping Festival". Today, it's declared "mission accomplished" and decided the festival's no longer needed. The modestly-named Great Online Shopping Festival was unashamedly modelled on events like “Cyber Monday”, America's …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Project Loon

The best explaination for Project Loon I have found so far is that someone very high up (ha!) at the Chocolate Factory has a serious balloon fetish.

2. Lysenko

Galling?

"television ads for fast delivery from Amazon.co.in. Which were galling seeing as Amazon hasn't made it to my Australian home"

Unless you're contending that Google's figures are rigged, India today has twice as many online shoppers as the *entire* population of Australia in a country less than half the physical size! Seems to me the Amazon priorities you find galling are actually just common sense.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Galling?

Simon: Amazon doesn't hate Australia. Okay, maybe they secretly do, but that is neither here nor there. Go see Tim, he'll explain.

1. Vic
        Coat

Go see Tim, he'll explain.

Too late!

Vic.

2. tiggity Silver badge

Confused. An Oz Amazon domain exists. Or is there nothing functional behind amazon.com.au

1. DaLo

That's digital goods only.

3. Mark 85

I read this article as "Google is bored... time to move on to something else" much like what they've done with other projects.

4. Gunda

I don't know which cities you were wandering in. What were you doing exactly in these cities, exploring the slums? Heck, youngsters even in slums have smartphones in India. Why do you think every Xiaomi, One Plus and Huawei are peddling phones in the country?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like