back to article Victoria's racing minister flogs metadata access horse

In the Australian State of Victoria, the first Tuesday in November is a public holiday to celebrate The Melbourne Cup*, a horse race known as "the race-that stops a nation." And on yesterday's holiday, the latest piece of scope-creep wish-listing over Australia's data retention regime should emerged and concerned the horse- …

1. glen waverley
    IT Angle

Not just school kids

November is university exam time. When I was a uni student (not in Victoria), I always seemed to have an exam on cup day (not a holiday where I was, being outside Victoria). If the exam was in the afternoon, as soon as the Cup was run and won, an invigilator would write the result on the whiteboards at the front of the exam hall while the exam continued.

This is how the Great Southern Land emphasises its heritage and brings foreign students into our culture.

Icon, cos it was an IT degree.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not just school kids

Hi from Syndal

1. glen waverley
        Thumb Up

Re: Not just school kids

Ahh. Synners. Have an upvote for mention of obscure melbourne train station

2. Medixstiff

We always actively check connectivity to stream the cup a few days before it happens, because as most people in IT know, IT staff are always proactive and the Managers who make the decision never think of things until the last minute.

Of course if something cannot be done because numpty Manager didn't give IT enough notice to set something up, it's always IT's fault for not have a friggin' crystal ball.

If I ever win $20 million in lotto, I'm buying a cattle prod and I'm sorting a few managers out before I leave the company.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Agency creep

And there's no bigger agency creep than George Brandis!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon