back to article Your 30-second guide to why Samsung is acting all Smugsun today

Samsung is getting a nod of approval from investors and analysts as the electronics giant has revealed gains in its mobile, semiconductor, and consumer electronics operations. The South Korean firm said its Android phone business managed to grow its sales figures in its third quarter of 2015, raising hopes that further gains …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because product quality and aftermarket support aren't necessarily correlated to market success, especially in a competitive 'race to the bottom' type market. Look at the US carriers for an example - you'll find people who swear undying hatred on one of them, but the "one of them" is different for each. So for every guy who will never do business with AT&T again, there's another who won't do business with Verizon, so they merely trade customers. Could work the same way in the Android market, where those unhappy with Samsung will switch to HTC or Motorola, and those unhappy with them will switch to Samsung.

1. Dadmin
        Linux

How do you cut a wireless phone "cord"?

True. I have AT&T now and can't wait to rid myself of them, but then I don't like Verizon either and the lower tier vendors reduce my coverage and other choices. I think getting rid of my Dish Network dish will be much easier than divorcing from AT&T. I already have a whopping great local disk of many many shows and movies, plus music and pics will be migrated there: Raspi OpenELEC/Kodi for display with a dedicated Raspi/NFS share. Very nice, and it's keeping me from emptying my DVR! So, good to go there. But I digress.

Where were we? Oh yes, sammy. Well, I did have a sammy break, but my service is with the carrier, and it had insurance, so after a little deductible I've got a refurbed S4 and no complaints. But, again with most sealed-battery devices; what's to service? You're battery dies, throw it away. When you start expecting "great service" on throw away devices, you're heading for misery.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Philip Lewis

Re: How do you cut a wireless phone "cord"?

Their TVs are pretty good though

2. SecretSonOfHG

Re: How do you cut a wireless phone "cord"?

Me. A Galaxy Note 10.2: two weeks and started rebooting itself. Burned by the "repair service" returning them with a note saying "nothing done, works ok" not only twice, but thrice. Galaxy SII: three months and it started to freeze from time to time. Have not even thought of taking it to the repair shop after the first experience.

Yes. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I should have learned from the first experience, but the second time I assumed that a brand so big as Samsung could not have such bad engineering, quality control or technical support service. It turns out it has.

After these two failures, I've purchased two more mobiles, a 55" TV and a big refrigerator. None of them from the bottom price range. None of them from Samsung, of course. In all those product segments Samsung has offerings that seem competitive on price and features, but the idea of taking home another Samsung device was simply repulsive.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

cos..

you own an iFume

2. I'm Brian and so's my wife

How long to unlock a mobile?

I've been waiting more than two weeks to get an unlock code. The call centre guy said that he'd heard of a few people kept waiting by Samsung. Getting bored now :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How long to unlock a mobile?

If you need an unlock code that would suggest you're locked to a carrier. How is the carrier's slow response Samsung's fault?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: How long to unlock a mobile?

"How is the carrier's slow response Samsung's fault?"

Because no shyster US network is ever going to admit "Sure the law technically says you can have one... so we're just going to wilfully piss you about until you lose the will to live and give up... while hiding behind a pretence that it's Samsung's fault"

3. tony2heads

Unlocking is not Samsung's fault

I have BOUGHT (not as a package from a carrier, but from a shop) 2 Samsung phones - so no locking. Get prepaid package. So far no real problems with them. If the carrier pisses me off (has happened) I

change carrier.

I would not consider doing it any other way.

The wife has one phone (the more expensive) and I have the other one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like