back to article Elderly? Disabled? You clearly need a .38" Palm Pistol

In good news for US "seniors, disabled or others with grip limitations due to hand strength, manual dexterity or phalangeal amputions" wishing to pop the odd cap, the Palm Pistol .38 Special is finally available for their shooting pleasure. Two views of the Palm Pistol. Pics: Palm Pistol It's apparently taken nine years for …

Silver badge
Coffee/keyboard

Optional extras

It also has an optional "Picatinny rail".. all that's missing is the ACOG TA01 4*32 and the world will learn to fear these senior "OAPerators"...

Re: Optional extras

At least for one shot.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Optional extras

What on earth is this needed for - perhaps this has a potential use over at Dignitas? You would have to be one of the most retarded countries on the planet to deliberately let the old and infirm loose with guns! Well citizens in general really...

If any country is ever stupid enough to allow such free access to guns there will be daily mass shootings, and children regularly killing each other, mark my words!

Anonymous Coward

Nothing new

They had single shot guns like this a hundred years ago.

(Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Nothing new

For people with phalangeal amputions?

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LubJWq_Zoz0

Re: Nothing new @Drewc

He's right. The idea of a "Palm Pistol" has been around for a very long time. 1882 perhaps

See Wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protector_Palm_Pistol

http://www.aaawt.com/html/firearms/f154.html

The antique gun is multi shot too.

The new one has some special ergonomic grip, has a thumb trigger and safeties but is single shot.

The old one was smaller, semi-automatic (It reloads the next shot) and held 7 shots.

ZSn

Actually they were usually in .32. However they were chambered to hold 7 shots. To be honest they might be more useful than this thing. Imagine it when you miss, 'excuse me while I find my glasses to reload it, you just stand there young man until I am ready to shoot you again'. Tattooed muggers will be quaking in their shoes...

Silver badge

Wasn't it named after the guitarist Rick Derringer? And used by Jim West on the Wild, Wild West? I dunno know anymore ;-}

Wasn't something like this gun pawned on Pawn Stars? Or attempted

I know there was something called a zip gun in the states during the 70's, made in shop class, and fired one shot. George Carlin had a bit about them... or mentioned zip guns in a bit he did

> Wasn't it named after the guitarist Rick Derringer

Nope, pre-dates him by about a hundred years.

It was actually a mis-spelling of 'deringer', as in Henry Deringer. According to the Wiki page, John Wilkes Booth used a Philadelphia Deringer to assassinate Lincoln - never knew that.

Silver badge

I suppose you could say that it has a health application ... to prevent death by external forces.

Silver badge

I'm sure the Swiss could also probably be persuaded to cover it on health grounds, at the kind of clinic where you would only need the single bullet.

I was thinking more of it as a lead injection device.

But if Ole Grandpa has Parkinson's it would make for some fun times in the nursing home.

Silver badge

It has another health application - breaking wrists

I have some serious doubts about the effect of this on the wrist of a person who is having trouble holding a normal gun. It does not take a lot to break a bone damaged by osteoporosis.

On top of that, if a person is having trouble to hold a normal gun firmly, the "grip advantage" they get with this one is not that much. 9mm+ in a handgun is a hell of a kickback, they are bound to let it lose and it to hit them, again, breaking something. If a person like that is to be trusted with a gun at all (queue jokes about dementia and a firefight in the nursing home), a "glove" modification of a standard handle is likely to be significantly more effective.

Silver badge

Just the thing for someone with senile dementia

Silver badge

'Hello Grandad'

"Who are you?"

Bang!

Silver badge

I'm assuming senile dementia doesn't get in the way of a yank's god-given right to arm bears?

Anonymous Coward

Eh, I bought a gun myself to cure my Alzheimer's if I come down with it... I'm pushing 55.

Anonymous Coward

Eh, I bought a gun myself to cure my Alzheimer's if I come down with it.

Can you remember where you put it?

Anonymous Coward

More importantly, will he remember what its for when it is time to give himself lead poisoning...

Silver badge
Headmaster

Word of the day

Well if nothing else, at least the article has expanded by vocabulary by a word ("phalangeal" of course), even if it does once again make me despair for my species...

Re: Word of the day

I already knew that word 'cause I watch Bones. They're always talking about phalanges.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Word of the day

even if it does once again make me despair for my species...

Au contraire, I find stuff like this encouraging. I greatly admire any attempt by anyone to innovate just enough to remove themselves from the gene pool in a hopefully entertaining fashion. The only troubling bit is that they sometimes manage to take others out with them, but I agree with a poster in my office which reads:

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out".

Anonymous Coward

Surely, they could have come up with a design incorporating a magazine? Without knowing you have the ability to massacre a classroom full of school children, this weapon has limited appeal in the US.

Silver badge
Coat

"Surely, they could have come up with a design incorporating a magazine?"

For the target audience, might I suggest Saga Magazine?

Not quite a new idea - this is from the 1890s <https://nfa.ca/resource-items/minneapolis-protector-palm-pistol>.

I suspect a stout walking stick would be more useful.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/fistolove_1_thumb-tfb.jpg

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/17982/17332539_2.jpg

Silver badge

"I suspect a stout walking stick would be more useful."

Well that problem was solved long ago

http://www.micksguns.com/cane%20guns.htm

A senior would be much better off with a shotgun cane as it will be more forgiving of poor aim.

Oops

Um, sorry, I had a senior moment and thought my spouse/nurse/carer/child I've always disliked/assistance dog (delete where applicable) was an intruder.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Oops

Ah, brave move trying the the 'Pistorius Defence'.

Silver badge
Facepalm

They could call it the 'Pistorius'.

edit- AC in before me!

Anonymous Coward

Re: brave move trying the the 'Pistorius Defence'.

Not that brave, or at least it's worked ok for Oscar.....

I'm sure they'd have let him out earlier, must've customised an ankle bracelet.

Can't they

combine it with a tablet and then do a tie in with palm pilots?

As others note, this tends to make you despair for the species.

Silver badge

A single shot .38? Please for the love of sanity don't try to use this thing for self defense. There's a good chance you're just going to piss off the guy trying to mug you with it. Seriously, look up how often people report to the ER with .38 gunshot wounds and it turns out that they need nothing more than a couple stitches because the bullet bounced off a rib or skull. .38 is not a self defense caliber. 9mm is the absolute smallest caliber you should consider for self defense, and even that's pushing your luck if you have to use it. .38 is just way too small.

Stop

Metrication

Could you please enlarge on this comment as my calculator says that 0.38 inches is 9.652 mm? Are you saying that the cartridge has less propellant or that the round is lighter. Otherwise I think a .38 should be at least as good as a 9 mm for the intended puropse.

This post has been deleted by its author

The Palm Pistol .38 special.

When you absolutely, positively got to slightly annoy every mother fucker in the room?

Headmaster

Inches not millimetres

A 0.38 calibre bullet from US weapon will do serious damage - it's bigger (only just) than 9mm and from such a small weapon will create an enormous 'kick-back'

Headmaster

.38 Smith & Wesson is actually a tad bigger than a 9mm (parabellum|luger|9x19) (they are different names for the same round), but the .38 S&W shoots a slighty heavier bullet a bit slower. You would be better off with a 9mm, but a .38 is not to be sniffed at.

Maybe you are confusing .38 S&W with .380, which is a smaller, weaker cousin of the above mentionned 9mm...

Re: Metrication

Just because it's called .38 does not mean it was actually 0.38000 of an inch ! Numbers can and have been fudged for different reasons or because similar sized or characteristics bullets existed and the new caliber needed to be differenciated, for example, 5.5mm, 5.6mm, 5.56mm, .22, .222, .223 are all the same diameter and their bullets could fit all their respective barrels, but the bullet, pellet or cartridge shape are not the same, and the power of the different cartridges are totally and radically different!

From wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_S%26W

Bullet diameter .361 in (9.2 mm)

Neck diameter .3855 in (9.79 mm)

Base diameter .3865 in (9.82 mm)

Rim diameter .440 in (11.2 mm)

Rim thickness .055 in (1.4 mm)

Case length .775 in (19.7 mm)

Overall length 1.240 in (31.5 mm)

Anonymous Coward

For a .338 lapua magnum, you would need a longer boomstick.

Joke

I think you would have the end of the bullet sticking out of the barrel

but the noise it would make would be heard in the next state :D

Silver badge

.38 has a much lower muzzle velocity than a 9mm, around 800fps vs around 1200fps. And, as good ole' E=MC2 tells us, the velocity is more important than the mass for such things. That's also why the less-massive-yet 7.62mm round, at 2300ish fps, is so much more deadly.

Silver badge

No no no....

Why choose .45? because there is no .46...

Silver badge

A 38 Special bullet has a diameter of .357", the same as, er, the 357 Magnum but with a lot less "bang" behind it. Quite enough to stop someone provided that you hit them somewhere vital, which might be tricky with a barrel that short combined with the "palm grip". Actually aiming it would not be that easy - to stand a reasonable chance of delivering an effective shot the muzzle (if it can be said to have one) would need to be almost touching the target.

The expanding round shown in the picture would be useful in making a "through and through" a bit less likely, which would at least contain the resulting mess somewhat. Just make sure that you hit the right person...

Silver badge

Maybe you are confusing .38 S&W with .380, which is a smaller, weaker cousin of the above mentionned 9mm...

Nope, I mean the .38 S&W. Anyone who's been around guns at all knows the .380 is useless for anything except paper targets and bowling pins, but some people actually think the .38 is a good choice for self defense. Probably because it was the police weapon of choice once upon a time.

And for the source of my info, my dad is both a gun collector and a paramedic. After 30 years of patching up gunshot victims he'll flat out laugh at you if you tell him you're using a .38 for self defense. I know because I've had that conversation with him.

Yes, the .38 can kill, but it has lacks that oh-so-important attribute for self defense: stopping power. You will not drop an assailant with a .38. They might die a few minutes after being shot, but that does you no good if they've killed you while they were bleeding out.

Silver badge

"And, as good ole' E=MC2 tells us, the velocity is more important than the mass for such things."

Are you sure you don't mean F=MA?

perhaps it was meant to be 3/8" [25.4mm ÷ 8 × 3]

Silver badge

@sisk Re: Metrication

Thats 1/2 mv^2, unless it's an antimatter bullet.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018