back to article Tiny Robot Smartphone: Invasion Earth 2016 – prepare to be facially recognised humans

Japanese electronics firm Sharp has presented a prototype smartphone which is also a functioning tiny robot. The robomobo is 19cm tall and weighs in at 390g (compare with the iPhone 6 at 129g). Dubbed RoBoHoN, it will be commercially available during the first half of 2016, according to Tuesday's CEATEC preview event. A …

Silver badge

Uh-uh, Nope, no way!

I am NOT going to go around talking into a robot's crotch!

Silver badge

Re: Uh-uh, Nope, no way!

You talk into its feet, then it whispers into your ear.

Silver badge

Re: Uh-uh, Nope, no way!

Look at the picture, Its feet might be where the mic is, but its crotch is right next to the guys mouth. Nuh-huh!

Also: What happens if you get put on hold with that annoying music? Will the robot start trying to dance, and kick you repeatedly in the face?

Bronze badge

That video is brilliant, if it was April 1st I might have asked hard questions :-)

Silver badge

It looks really fun....

Completely impractical for a phone, and with the projector and all those motors I'm reckoning a 3 hour battery, but how much fun.

I'm not surprised they haven't decided on a sales channel yet - it looks like a proper "10% time project"

Silver badge
Terminator

Re: It looks really fun....

It is the future.

I'm not even joking. Scale this up possibly, and we have a device that sets a projector where you want it, sets a camera where you need it, and can even plug in your headphones automatically for you (etc). A real personal assistant, able to take mail and email.

I would not be surprised if in 20 years time, we are all amazed how we did not have these things when we were "young", just as we do compared to the current generation growing up with mobiles.

Anonymous Coward

This is japan

After the Hello Kitty vibrator nothing can surprise me as far as Japan and Gadget in one sentence.

Thumb Up

Re: This is japan

Completely impractical, and a little bit bonkers!

I love Japanese inventions

Silver badge

Re: This is japan

The japanese do seem to be obsessed by this sort of cutesy nonsense. It does seem like a culture rather stuck in teenage girl adolesence. Unlike US culture which is stuck in teenage boy adolesense but thats a discussion for another day...

Want one.

Silver badge

Indeed. I see no problems it truly solves, I have no practical applications in mind for it beyond "because" - the whole thing seems utterly pointless.

But I want one.

I totally agree

And unless its impractically expensive will be getting one

Anonymous Coward

Excellent

When I woke up in a cold sweat kicking and screaming proclaiming the rise of the machines...they said I was insane. They called me crazy they did. Mmmmmad! Mmmmhaaa.

*twitch* *strips down to underpants*

Oh look the nice men in white coats are here with my apple sauce and M&Ms. Tataaa!

Ahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

The machines are coming and we're all going to die!

Terminator

It's an awkward shape

It'll be tricky to shove it up the annoying owner's jaaksi.

Devil

Re: It's an awkward shape

Which makes it all the better for doing so.

Re: It's an awkward shape

I think it will be programmed to crawl up there by itself.

Impractical as a phone...

but I want one!

It looks like a great toy, especially if it's programmable (as a robot).

Re: Impractical as a phone...

the article says.." it learns....from the cloud."..... lol

It's not tiny...

it's huge. As I am not a clown I don't think my pcokets couild cope.

"the device has been branded as a "Heart moving phone", just like the initial Cyberdyne Systems's Terminator models. (Is this right? - Ed)"

Yes, although it would move hearts in a rather more physical manner, along with other squishy body organs that got in the way.

Almost

If it was a transformer that could transform back and forth between robot shape and normal phone shape then I'd be interested.

Silver badge

Re: Almost

Not so much transform as have a normal shaped phone which slots into the robot case, so that it does all the robot gimmicky stuff when plugged in, and is just a normal phone when not. Best of both worlds - you get the gimmicky plaything, and the practical device.

This post has been deleted by its author

M7S
Silver badge
Terminator

Possible use, with some upgrades

If it could return to a charging base every so often, could it be a little security guard that wanders around your house, phoning you/your alarm service/whatever with video if it sees something not matching the patterns it expects/saw last time, and allowing you to have a two way talk if appropriate?

The icon may indicate other upgrades that readers may elect to fit, local laws permitting of course.

Silver badge

The first Persocom?

*See Chobits Manga/Anime

I note that again, your personal data is to be transmitted for analysis/learning rather than be handled at the point of collection.

How much of that video was staged/CGI vs. existing interaction I wonder.

Still 'kawaii' though...

Anonymous Coward

Re: The first Persocom?

I thought that would be a type of robot.

It was a mistake to Google that. Excuse me while I wipe some data...

Coat

I can't find my phone at the best of times...

I can imagine this problem will only get worse once my phone literally has the ability to wander off.

Thumb Up

This could be useful

Great! A phone with legs! If you misplace your phone you call it* and it will come running to you. Does it come with a key holder?

What mobile operating system does it run? Android, I guess...

* Presumably from a fixed line so you can give directions on how it can find you.

Anonymous Coward

Re: This could be useful

This cuts both ways.

When it rings, does it go running around looking for you?

What happens when the battery goes flat, does it plug itself in or drop dead?

Re: This could be useful

I hope it changes to darlek-voice and starts yelling "WE DEMAND MORE POWER!"

Silver badge

MK 1

The MkII of course will be marketed as The ChuckyPhone!

Pint

Cut out the middle man...

Brilliant! If you're tired of all the 'who's got the best phone' pi$$ing contests, there's now a phone that can just f*** off down the pub and slap itself on the table, all on it's own!

Headmaster

Apostrophie Atrosity

Its not it's.

its == possessive

it's == "it is"

Facepalm

Why would I NOT buy one?

I'm a 50 year old, bald bloke not a fecking 14 year old Japanese girl!

Silver badge

Well, we know one thing for certain

RoBoHon shot first.

The question "Where the hell has my phone gotten to?" becomes a little more problematic when the bugger has legs!

Ru'

Shaddup and take my money! Want^1000

relieved to see where the headphones plug in....whew!!!

I want one!!!!

how much and when can i expect delivery?

Of course it runs Android.

Robot PR

Can someone please do for cute robots what Clown and other horror movies have done for clowns? Half the population under 30 involuntarily convulses when they see one now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017