back to article MYSTERY PARTICLE BLASTS from Ceres strike NASA probe Dawn

The not-quite-planet-but-jolly-big-for-an-asteroid Ceres continues to give up its secrets under the unwinking gaze of NASA's Dawn probecraft, now in orbit about the planetoid. New developments include the naming of various features on Ceres and the detection of a mysterious particle blast from the enigmatic dwarfworld. " …

Silver badge
Joke

and another named Jaja, after the Abkhazian harvest goddess

That's a relief. Thought for a minute there someone had elevated an annoying Star Wars character to the status of 'agricultural diety'.

Silver badge

Slump?

The Occator crater looks more like a giant sinkhole than an impact crater. I've no idea how that could work unless it's the lair of the White Worm :)

Re: Slump?

One possibility is that the crust is a thin layer of rock over a layer of ice. The impact blasted out a normal crater but the ice underneath has crept back to nearer level and is mostly covered over again by dust and rubble.

Silver badge

looks more like a giant sinkhole than an impact crater. I've no idea how that could work...

That's St Albans, not Ceres!

Silver badge

This is no cave! -Han Solo

Silver badge
Thumb Up

We are exploring Ceres

Ceres!

The science is amazing.

What a time to be alive.

This harvest theme could run and run. Will they continue the Ceres and make a cereal of it?

Oh no! Not harvest puns!

At yeast you used your loaf and put some thought into it.

Re: Oh no! Not harvest puns!

Indeed - nothing worse than when someone takes some a-maize-ing accomplishment and makes a ceres of corny jokes.

Happy

I'm sure we'll all upvote the wheat from the chaff!

Tip Top work!

Those NASA boffins are out standing in their field.

Silver badge

I think there should be a mountain range called The Alpens.

Looks like a caldera. Yellowstone on Ceres.

Silver badge
Alien

A giant ancient starship?

Intriguing internal moistness

emitting particles

Silver badge

Re: A giant ancient starship?

Either that, or a dormant starship right under the surface.

Silver badge

You mean like the Shadow ship found on Mars (in Babylon 5). Better not dig it up...

Silver badge

"Either that, or a dormant starship right under the surface."

Dormant? It's firing its electron cannons at us! This means WAR!

"Dormant? It's firing its electron cannons at us! This means WAR!"

Bloody hell, don't you recognize a standard scan? It scanned, but is confused as to why contact hasn't been initiated or even a return scan.

Anonymous Coward

I always thought that eggs came from fowl

Now I see you can grow them on a plant. When will the transgenic madness end?!

Silver badge

mystery particle blast which rattled the probe's sensors

Shame on those Boffins!

Don't they recognise the signature of an energy weapon when they see one?

The message couldn't be clearer... STAY AWAY!

Happy

Re: mystery particle blast which rattled the probe's sensors

Ob: "That's no moon!!!"

Silver badge

Four mile high pyramid

What more proof does the world need?

This is clearly a major base for the Annunaki! They are returning

Cereously!

Silver badge

Re: Four mile high pyramid

Neah, It is more of a case of characters with yellow eye flashes prone to violence due to their parasite gone nuts from sarcophagus abuse.

Silver badge

Bah!

Prediction: mysterious electron flux events traced to instrumentation electronics announcing "goodbye cruel cosmos".

Silver badge

"a crater dubbed Vinotonus, after the Celtic Briton god of vines"

But there's nothing named for Charlie Mopps!

Anonymous Coward

Aliens

That is all.

Silver badge
Megaphone

Bursts of energetic electrons

It's telling us to stay off its lawn. We have been warned.

Silver badge
Pirate

Re: Bursts of energetic electrons

Maybe it's warning us to stop taking pictures of its lawn. After all, it moved 400+ million miles away so it could be escape Google's StreetView car.

Silver badge

Re: Bursts of energetic electrons

Are there any other kind of electron? I thought they were all rather "energetic"....

Black Helicopters

And yet NOBODY has spoken the truth about this new data

That this is yet another NASA/Muslim conspiracy to make American's believe there are other "worlds" in the solar system aside from the only New World, America. In order to get more grant money for Climate Change research and to promote the soon to be announced movie: "The Cerian". I mean the proof is right there Ceres/Syria! I must inform my NRA government representative and my local AM talk show host immediately, through telepathy, as every other method is monitored by the MIB!

Anonymous Coward

Re: And yet NOBODY has spoken the truth about this new data

" I must inform my NRA government representative and my local AM talk show host immediately, through telepathy, as every other method is monitored by the MIB!"

Too late, that is considered electronic communication and is dutifully monitored by the NSA. After all, what about the telepathic terrorists?

Silver badge

Re: And yet NOBODY has spoken the truth about this new data

what about the telepathic terrorists?

Oh, you mean Scientologists...

EVERY atom, save Hydrogen, in the entire Universe is FISSIONABLE

We live in a false paradigm reality bounded by faux science, fake history, filtered news, financed by a fiat currency and directed by our ruling, evil, Demonic Warlords.

The rate of solar and cosmic ray particles vary, causing variable decay rates, a baseline determinate for 'climate' on Earth. These same processes are at work throughout the Universe, continuing until there is one, evenly distributed Hydrogen and Helium cloud billions of years in the future. In the meantime we are being herded like sheep in a matrix of elitist propaganda to avoid seeing their corrupt reality. End this feudal nightmare.

"Becoming A Total Earth Science Skeptic" at the Faux Science Slayer site, find and share Truth

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017