back to article Baidu, Google, Microsoft and Qualcomm join to invest in CloudFlare

Four internet giants – Baidu, Google, Microsoft and Qualcomm – have cosied up to join CloudFlare's most recent funding round, which raised $110m. The Content Delivery Network service, which is headquartered in San Francisco (with an additional office in London) was founded in July 2009 and is reportedly considering an IPO. It …

1. Coofer Cat

Tor Hostile

Try browsing a Cloudflare-backed site via Tor and you'll be presented with a Capcha and a "copy this crap into the box below". I've found that nine times out of ten, doing so with the utmost care and attention, it fails to convince the server than I am indeed a human. Whatever it needs to succeed is apparently not provided by the Tor network plus a locked-down browser.

I'm sure none of that will have any bearing on investment or indeed IPOs. However, the proliferation of Cloudflare isn't going to be a good thing for the privacy aware folks of the world.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tor Hostile

We use Cloudflare so I am guessing that your post was the one in 10.

For the record, we have had three or four complaints about Tor and Captchas. But we value the ability to keep the site up against spammers and other threats more than the very few individuals who are inconvenienced.

This is what Cloudflare has to say about Tor:

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/203306930-Does-CloudFlare-block-Tor-

>>> Due to the behaviour of some individuals using the Tor

>>> network (spammers, distributors of malware, attackers,

>>> etc.), the IP addresses of Tor exit nodes generally earn

>>> a bad reputation. Our basic protection level issues

>>> CAPTCHA-based challenges to visitors whose IP

>>> address has a high threat score.

2. TheVogon

At least this ensures that The Pirate Bay's primary CDN service will be bullet proof for a while longer....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like