back to article Boffins crowdsource web for TREE of LIFE. What could possibly go wrong with that?!

A "tree of life", which depicts the relationships of 2.3 million named species on Earth, has been created by biologists. Duke University's Karen Cranston, principal investigator on the project, said: “This is the first real attempt to connect the dots and put it all together. Think of it as Version 1.0.” Researchers from …

1. Doctor_Wibble
    Trollface

Evolution is a myth

And everything was created 6000 years ago, especially the sandwiches you get at the shop round the corner from the office.

2. Wommit
    Devil

Evolution is a myth

And "history" was embedded to keep the unbelievers happy.

1. DropBear
      Trollface

Re: Evolution is a myth

Well not exactly, but the backup image restored 6000 years ago apparently retains the original timestamps...

1. Mark 85
        Devil

But given the way things have turned out, I wonder if the backup copy had some errors....

2. itzman

Nah. In fact the world, complete with its 'history' and special 'false memories' is being continuously created!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Genesis

And on the seventh day, god created Starbucks and rested with a Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte.

1. Charles 9
      Joke

Re: Genesis

"And on the eighth day, God created Beer."

- T-shirt.

4. PleebSmash

story ended prematurely

Many of the evolutionary trees that have been published are only available as PDFs and other image files that can't be entered into a database or merged with other trees.

What happens then... more crowdsourcing?

5. Jonathan Richards 1
    Thumb Up

Other readers also enjoyed...

... the Encyclopedia of Life at eol.org. The two sites are not trying to do the same things, exactly, but EoL is more mature.

6. Gene Cash Silver badge

"There’s a pretty big gap between the sum of what scientists know about how living things are related, and what’s actually available digitally"

Not really, but most of it is behind paywalls.

1. Electron Shepherd

And some has been paid for already

Sadly, some of the research that is either online behind a paywall or only available in paid-for physical publications was originally financed by a government, and therefore ultimately by that country's tax payers, and they don't get free access.

7. Your alien overlord - fear me

Aardvarks are related to manatees? Well f*ck me. God does work in mysterious ways (or was just having a laugh on that day).

1. Electron Shepherd

I suppose if you far enough most things are related. There's a vast number of "different" animals that all follow the basic "tube with four limbs attached" design, but with wide variations in size, shape and covering.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Without a more strict definition of "related", any two entities are related in some fashion.

Aardvarks and ontology are both related in the sense of being concepts we have name for, for example.

(Of course aardvarks and manatees are much more closely related than that. They're both mammals, which in the greater scheme of things is so close as to be nearly indistinguishable. It's only when you look at them closely that you can see any difference.)

2. Jonathan Richards 1

re Tube with four limbs

Actually, a double-walled doughnut topology, if you look at the build plan for coelomates. Food goes through the middle hole of the doughnut, and the organs live on the inside (think: inner tube of a tyre). This is the basic plan for all the bilateria, see this node at opentreeoflife.org, which is much more inclusive than the set of animals with four legs!

On the subject of "most things are related", I don't believe there is a convincing example yet of anything now living which is not related to some putative first life on Earth, and I recommend The Ancestor's Tale (Dawkins, R; Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 2004) as a good read.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I just drilled down from the top all the way to homo sapiens. By golly that's a a lot of levels!

1. raving angry loony

Yeah, but the boss fights weren't all that difficult.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Looks like...

Linux development tree.

Think I might get a poster of this though...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon