back to article Another week, another vSphere update

VMware's updated vSphere again, this time with a refresh for version 5.5. Virtzilla last week announced the first update to vSphere 6.0 and expects that release will be the catalyst for users of vSphere 5.5 to upgrade. But as CEO Pat Gelsinger told us at VMworld 2015, vSphere's so good that VMware customers aren't in a hurry …

1. ecarlseen

Just waiting for the dust to settle

Actually, we're looking forward to moving to vSphere 6, but not so eager that we're willing to install something fresh out of the oven...

1. WraithCadmus
      Go

Re: Just waiting for the dust to settle

We're thinking of jumping from 5.5u2 to 6u1 when we get the time, our vCenter is starting to creak and groan and it seems like a good a time as any to be bold and re-do the whole thing.

1. TaabuTheCat

Re: Just waiting for the dust to settle

I'd wait a bit longer if I were you.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2124669

And that hasn't been the only nasty surprise in 6.0. Feels like QC is slipping a bit.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

Our vendor says

Stay with 5.5 for now... we've seen issues with 6.0. Maybe in a few months I'll push for 6.0.

I never install Windows Updates the week the arrive. I like to check El Reg forums for groans. I'll be doing it for vCenter too...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Roach Motel

The days where people would jump onto the latest and greatest release are long gone. Today, chances are, jumping on a new release might just get you a trip to the unemployment office. There are so many bugs one has to openly question the effectiveness of vmware's QA processes.

It's official vSphere has become a roach motel.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like