back to article China's TCL strokes Android with its 17.3" fondleslab WHOPPER

Alcatel OneTouch, a division of the Chinese electronics company TCL, has announced the Xess 17.3" Android tablet at the IFA consumer electronics event in Berlin. The TCL/Alcatel OneTouch Xess is a 17.3” Android L 5.1 tablet with 10-point multi-touch, stylus, 8-core ARM 1.5Ghz CPU, 2GB RAM, 32GB Flash storage, MicroSD slot and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nearly there...

"The TCL/Alcatel OneTouch Xess is a 17.3” Android L 5.1 tablet with 10-point multi-touch, stylus, 8-core ARM 1.5Ghz CPU, 2GB RAM, 32GB Flash storage, MicroSD slot and 2 USB ports."

Wonder what the screen resolution is.

Now, if only one of these gigantic IT corporations could innovate something just like this with expandable RAM and with some sort of foldaway keyboard and touchpad come lid design... something along the lines of a huge clamshell phone would be absolutely brilliant...

Xiaomi?

1. Preston Munchensonton

Re: Nearly there...

Now, if only one of these gigantic IT corporations could innovate something just like this with expandable RAM and with some sort of foldaway keyboard and touchpad come lid design...

As I understand it, they now offer these new-fangled devices known as "laptop" computers.

2. tony72

I was wondering about the resolution too, 1920 x 1080 apparently.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Still not nearly there...

>I was wondering about the resolution too, 1920 x 1080 apparently.

Oh bugger. It is just an exceptionally shitty "laptop" with the keyboard snapped off then. Saw "tablet" and hoped... well, you know...

Damn & blast.

$600 - $700 for a really crappy laptop with one of the most important bits missing? What the hell are they snorting?

"Nearly there..." duly withdrawn.

:o(

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

What is more important is "what is its kitchen resistance".

This has "kitchen TV + recipe book" written all over it. If it has sufficient protection to withstand the rather nasty environment above a kitchen worktop I am buying one without a second thought.

2. Alan Denman

Depends on the quality of the split screen.

If hardly any third party apps split, it is kind of pointlesss.

Dual boot would be a good interim solution.

1. Preston Munchensonton

Re: Depends on the quality of the split screen.

Dual boot for what? Windows RT? It has an ARM processor, so no dual boot to an x86-based OS.

3. Yamas

Could be interesting

599$ is about 400 quid, this could be a good alternative to Wacom cintiq et al... provided it has:

- a REAL digitizer

- a stylus with 1024 pressure level

- screen resolution @1920x1080

then I'll definitively buy one

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: Could be interesting

I was going to say the same thing but 1920x1080 is only something like 130ppi. Usable, probably, but a bit of a come down to what we're used to on tablets. (If you can't get up close, what's the point.)

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Re: Could be interesting

And colour reproduction (and whitepoint) that isn't random.

That's why iPads are superior. Well, one reason.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

Well, my 15" tablet from Amazon.de only cost £85 (until they realised they'd priced it wrong and put the price up) and has the same spec. It's OK if only it'd get upgraded to even Kitkat.

Got a proper keyboard and mouse plugged in and rarely touch/smudge the screen but yes, even with a battery in it, it is a desktop unit unless you're built like Arnie.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big tablets are not new, I've had a 21" tablet for ages...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/26/review_hp_slate_21_tablet/

No battery, but who is going to pull out a 17" tablet on the train?

I have it hanging on a wall in the kitchen (vesa mount on back), beats the shit out of having a crap telly there. Running Kitkat 4.4.2 and cost about 180 quid direct from HP last November. Its 1080p, HP provide an app that lets you have two apps on the screen side by side .... I got rid of it tbh.

1. PleebSmash

Re: Big tablets are not new, I've had a 21" tablet for ages...

Seems like Android is not up to the job of being the "desktop" OS.

Remix OS?

6. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

"We call it a big tablet.”

A "bablet", then?

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: "We call it a big tablet.”

I rather like the sound of "biglet"

7. phuzz Silver badge
    WTF?

Seventeen inches! I've owned monitors smaller than that!

8. Dr_N

BFT

Big F***ing Tablet

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like