back to article Coho Data containering in the dock – now with added Google, Splunk

Coho Data storage arrays will be able to run Docker containers directly on the storage nodes and use Google’s Kubernetes interface for configuring and deploying microservices. Startup Coho Data says its customers can now run new data-centric services and apps directly adjacent to stored data or, putting it another way, “allow …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

we post buzzwords in hopes that someone will look at us

Yet no one really knows WTF our value proposition is, thus we glom onto any and all hot trends to seem like we are relevant and hot even though we have no customers, and no success in the storage space.

I dare anyone to actually explain in standard English what the hell this product does, or why I would want to buy it as a customer. As I understand it, they have a hard time giving the product away.

2. ZMasterFlash

With Coho Data:

1. Customers can buy their own compute from Cisco, Dell, HP, Supermicro, etc.more economically

2. If you only need storage capacity, why be forced to also have to buy more compute? Therefore it makes sense to keep them separately from an economical standpoint

3. When the CPU is in the storage it competes for performance cycles, when it's separate it doesn't

4. When you only need storage capacity and are forced to buy CPU, in a VMware environment, you are forced to buy more server licenses

5. So in a semi-converged approach you get the benefit of buying your compute as needed for your mainstay applications and also use our CPU in background for Microservices, avoiding the cost of having to invest in additional compute for Hadoop, Transcoding, Splunk, and other apps...so you get the best of both worlds! Not to mention all of the other cool stuff that Coho is delivering today, like linear scale-out from 7TB usable to petabytes with all of the performance you need to support your virtualized environments today, and in the next several quarters, your physical environment as well from a blend of all flash arrays featuring all NVMe PCIe and SAS SSD flash, to our original hybrid arrays (3 models) with NVMe PCIe flash and HDD. Coho still believes that HDD makes sense today for all of your cold data, but agrees that at some time in the future the economics will lean towards putting in some layer of cold flash, but IMHO that day is not here yet. Since our system is extensible, when that day is a reality, we simply blend that new cold flash tier into today's cluster easily and automatically. If you haven't checked out Coho Data yet, give us a call so we can share what the co-creator of the XEN hypervisor who still consults with Citrix and his team are up to in solving the most difficult problems in the storage world; namely reducing complexity, eliminating islands of storage, while lowering CAPEX and OPEX costs by 50%!

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: ZMasterFlash

Full-disclosure: ZMasterFlash is a Coho Data employee posting from a cohodata.com email address.

C.

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I've had a chance to give Coho data a look

Coho's offering is really quite interesting. A little bit niche, but if your needs fall into that niche I they seem to do a fine job there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like