back to article Ashley Madison keeps calm, carries on after hackers expose lives of millions of its users

Infidelity website Ashley Madison has pledged to continue operations after hackers leaked its customer database online. The Impact Team, which claimed responsibility for the hack on Ashley Madison and sister site Established Men, have made good on their threat to publish compromising information on millions of people. Around …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I feel sorry for one or two women on there.

There's one woman in particular who is instantly identifiable, because of the order her email address comes in the file, and she's obviously just needing a shag.

I don't do that sort of thing, but I have seen so many asymmetric marriages, that this is a tragedy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I feel sorry for one or two women on there.

>I feel sorry for one or two women on there.

The internet where men are men, women are men and children are the FBI. An oldie but still largely true in many contexts.

2. Old Handle

Re: I feel sorry for one or two women on there.

By my math that would be 3.6 million women... or "women" at least. I won't hazard to guess what fraction of accounts are real.

2. The Dude

My brother is on the list. Perhaps this explains the split-up with this wife.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dishonesty tends to bite people in the ass eventually even if they think they are pulling a fast one at the time.

3. handle

The reference for the lack of email verification goes to great lengths to point out that Ashley Madison is not just a website for adultery, and the damage that sensational media coverage can cause. Still the author couldn't resist describing it as an "infidelity website", "extra-marital sex hookup site", and assuming that everyone on there has a partner.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You work for them or something? You sound awfully defensive. If you don't work for them they you sure picked the wrong "dating" site to use for hookups lol.

1. handle

No, I don't work for them

I have no connection with them at all Anonymous Coward, but must have hit home if you are accusing me of that. I was really pointing out the irony of the author making a reference to this article and then completely ignoring what the article warns about.

2. Gerhard Mack

Well that IS what they are advertising

I just got off a flight last week and in the 10 hours of total travel time I saw 20 ads where that website described itself as a way to spice up a dull marriage. You can hardly blame the media for parroting Ashley Madison's own message.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fake users

So long as they're paying, why should Ashley Madison care? A throwaway address wouldn't mean they're fake, just being careful to insure the wife won't find anything bad if she looks at their email.

The fact it is 90% men shows most of them were paying for nothing, probably half the women are men pretending to women, and half of the rest look nothing like their photos/description, so for every one desirable woman there are probably several dozen men (most of whom probably wouldn't be desirable to that desirable woman)

Tinder is free and even more discreet, not sure why anyone would pay for a site like this.

1. P. Lee
      Facepalm

Re: Fake users

>Tinder is free and even more discreet, not sure why anyone would pay for a site like this.

Were you expecting an answer more sophisticated than "because the chic in the advert is hot"?

5. Mark 85
    Devil

Investigations....

Several police agencies – including the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the Ontario Provincial Police, and the US Federal Bureau of Investigation – have launched investigations into the attack.

I'm sure they are launching investigations with full resources as there's probably more than one well-placed politician on the list. I would, however, hope that some LEA takes a hard look at their business. This seems fishy that they're trying to act as if nothing has happened. No mention of the normal buzzphrases about how important your privacy is nor any statement about ID theft protection like anyone else who's been compromised.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Investigations....

No mention of the normal buzzphrases about how important your privacy is nor any statement about ID theft protection like anyone else who's been compromised.

Well, given the kind of care they have been taken with user data I am not that surprised - they KNOW that would sound hollow. Having said that, their press statements are heavy on buzzwords which pisses me off. "Freethinking" indeed. Oh, and mentioning "criminal" and "criminals" will really help - it will at best amuse the hackers, does f-all for the victims and doesn't alleviate the fact that they appear to have done a piss poor job of protecting their users (I personally don't care one whit whether the users were "legit" singles or cheating, that doesn't remove the sites' obligation to protect them).

So here's the lesson for y'all: if you receive a blackmail attempt, it's already too late. You're history.

6. sisk

Shoulda shut down

They'll be out of business soon enough after this fiasco.

7. DavCrav

"Dr Chenxi Wang, VP of cloud security & strategy at CipherCloud, criticized ALM for not drawing down the shutters on the site."

Aha, so victims of blackmail should just do whatever the criminal says? Victims should always pay ransoms to kidnappers? And so on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps not but "victims" shouldn't be storing information on lots of other potential victims and not securing it or even worse charging them blackmail to delete it and from what I read not even deleting it then. All around a whole lot of fail.

2. Mark 85

It works for Cryptolocker. I think the business plan is spreading....

3. Velv
      Pirate

Given the hackers are against the aims of the site, the data was always going to be released even if the websites were shut down. Or does someone out there think there are honest criminals who stick to their word?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does Dr Chenxi Wang live in a glass house? I don't know, or care, of she's married, so I don't know of her husband's email address is on the list. but the blame for being identified as a user of AM should be primarily on the site's users, and secondarily on the hackers,

P.s.

Also, I wonder of either of the Clinton's are on the list.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Does Dr Chenxi Wang live in a glass house?

Based on her pic and her career I don't think she would need to try very hard to find a nerd to bang in SF.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Also, I wonder of either of the Clinton's are on the list.

I bet their dry cleaners are :)

9. mourner
    WTF?

"Furthermore, we will continue to put forth substantial efforts into removing any information unlawfully released to the public...."

Yeah - not sure they've grasped the enormity of this breach even now, nor ever understood any phrase they heard that involved genies and bottles.

I trust El Reg will keep us abreast of their attempts to remove the "information unlawfully released to the public". Unless they mean from their own systems of course.

This would be funny if it didn't have the potential to mess up so many people's lives. The breach was a disaster, but this recovery / face saving attempt is akin to watching someone trying to rescue people from a burning building by dumping a tanker of kerosene on it.

10. Charles Manning

Shirley

Surely it is easy to explain to the missus:

"We've been pranking each other at the office but those dickheads have gone too far this time."

Of course the little hitchhikers on your tackle are a bit harder to explain. Cybersecurity can't fix that!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shirley

Of course the little hitchhikers on your tackle are a bit harder to explain. Cybersecurity can't fix that!

Nah. 'mount' is a standard POSIX compliant Unix command..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Holmes

Blog

The blog link on their home page seems to be broken, but still appears in Google's cache. I wonder if their blogging software was the route taken by the hackers into the site. https://ashleymadison.com/blog/

2. pyite

Re: Shirley

Just be careful with umount -- that sort of thing is illegal in many areas.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sexual hypocrisy

it is kind of funny, after a man gets older and cannot perform women dont give a damn, including most wives(you know its true!!) in a way it is sexist too, as long as you can get it up everyone wants to limit you, but when you cant, then you are discarded like a broken machine.

12. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"ALM seemingly unconcerned about families of cheaters"

Well duh, that was part of the business play since Day 1.

I don't like this kind of web site at all. That it got hacked and exposed doesn't bother me one bit, and if it folds as a result, it is no loss.

I will not, however, say that ALM is getting what it deserves. There will be personal tragedies following this and that is sad.

But ALM can bite the bullet any time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like