back to article Git a load of this: GitHub now valued at $2 billion

GitHub has received a $250m infusion of venture-capital cash that values the code-sharing website at $2bn. That means it's worth more than ZenDesk ($1.78bn), slightly less than the New York Times ($2.17bn), and more than stricken Yelp ($1.87bn). The San Francisco-based upstart said its Series-B funding round was led by VC …

1. Charles Manning

Where's the value?

I can't believe the punters are that stupid that they think they own all the code in github.

Since most of the accesses to github are via git - and very few via web browsers - there's very little exposure for advertising revenue.

Since it is so easy to replicate a git repository, there is no real "stickiness" to git either. In 5 minutes I can move my repo elsewhere.

Yes, a small service business makes sense, but $2bn no!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where's the value?

Probably the fact that Github offer private project hosting for commercial users for a fee. Thus they see that as a means of raising revenue.

1. Charles Manning

"Thus they see that as a means of raising revenue."

I'm aware of that. I'm a paying customer. But it takes a hell of a lot of paying customers to be worth $2bn.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed, I wonder what atlassian is valued at?? Infinitely more real worth and worthwhile offerings.

Their stuff based around git has revolutionised our development.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

really? out experience has tended to be that they take something that intrinsically works and make it sloooowwweerr, and charge a pretty penny for it.

2. Nick Kew
    Pint

Sponsors

Investors in Github are supporting open source.

Perhaps they intentionally give it a generous valuation, as an act of sponsorship?

1. Charles Manning

Re: Sponsors

Rubbish

There are far better ways than that to support open source.

There are perhaps 1000 or so really useful open source projects that could do with some sponsorship. Direct injection into those projects would be far more valuable than the very indirect method of sponsoring storage.

What open source projects need it developer time, not a few bucks for storage.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Value?

Github hosts billions in IP, but not their IP. As for the private hosting, you can get that for free from Gitlab or any other git host. The real power is in Git, which is free.

1. Charles Manning

Re: Value?

Right, so just like I said there's not $2BN of investor value in this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like