back to article HP goes off VMware's EVO:RAIL, stops selling sole appliance

Hewlett Packard has stopped selling its ConvergedSystem 200-HC, the hyperconverged rig based on VMware's EVO:RAIL system architecture. VMware launched EVO:RAIL at VMworld 2014, pitching its combination of compute, storage, core VMware server virtualisation products and a simplified GUI as ideal for smaller businesses or branch …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are any of the manufacturers actually moving any units? I haven't heard a good word from Dell or EMC.

Vmware screwed the pooch on this one for sure.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

at 250k each no wonder

Waaaaaaayyyyy over priced and zero actual value. It's almost like HP didnt want to sell this product at all, but one has to wonder how much money was pissed away with the design effort for a system that probably never shipped a single unit

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would any vendor sell EVO:RAIL?

Think about it. The EVO:RAIL is a spec for commoditized hardware with very little unique value to users. It's a lazy strategy from VMware.

4. Jonbays

Nutanix is what you want to look at here

1. Casper42

Why bother with Nutanix, you can still get the HC200 with StoreVirtual for WAY less than the EVO:RAIL config, and with or without SSDs depending on your needs.

Besides, this time next year, Nutanix might be nothing more than a software company, and probably owned by Cisco :shudder:

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nutanix

Yes, if you are running a flower shop, buy Nutanix. Scale matters in the enterprise.

5. IMeandMyself

EVO:RAIL ... Where's the Beef.. or at least the customer value?

Although snarky, I get the drift of the article. I don't see the value of EVO:RAIL either. Why pay more for less? It certainly does seem like a lazy strategy. I somehow expected (much) more from the likes of VMware... EVO:RAIL is a serious disappointment.

6. Terafirma-NZ

way to expensive... Who thought of the idea to sell a product to customers that manages that other product you sell to them that manages the actual product they want.

What should have happened is someone say this is a great product lets replace the horrid vCenter with this new scale out HTML5 management engine and use it to manage vSphere/vSAN/NSX.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like