back to article Vodafone sales dip, waits for fixed broadband to kick in

Sales at Vodafone dropped marginally to £10.1bn, revealed the global mobile operator's second quarter results. UK sales remained broadly the same at £1.4bn. Blighty is its second largest market after Germany, which recorded a drop in sales of 12 per cent to £1.7bn. Revenue for the company’s first six months of trading rose by …

1. AnoniMouse

>> This was also the quarter that Voda re-launched itself back into Blighty's fixed-line broadband market.

>> The company currently has just 70,000 subscribers in the UK, compared with an overall base of 10

>> million across the rest of the group.

Vodafone could make a start at making themselves attractive to new customers by paying some proper attention to existing Demon internet customes, who have been disgracefully ignored by a succession of owners, but are now Vodafone's responsibility.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fortunately they haven't broken Demon quite yet - although I've just migrated my mobile phone elsewhere due to their lack of caring, continued price rises and generally shit customer service. I dare say I may require a new ISP at some point in the near future.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Since they took over Demon my ADSL reliability has been patchy. This week I have had to keep rebooting the router/modem at all l times of the day and night. The reported ATM connection speed is always as good as it has ever been. Just seems to lose the logged in connection and keeps saying it's waiting for the LCP handshake.

Thinking about looking for an alternative from one of the respected smaller ISPs.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

To be fair, I have rarely had any kind of connection problem with Demon before or after the takeover. That said, I haven't used their mail servers for a quite a while now - they were a bit iffy at the best of times.

2. JimWin
          Happy

Reliability

In contrast, my ADSL connection has been solid so far. No reboots; just works. I was with Demon in earlier times, but when they went bust I moved over to BT for a while. So I was very glad to see Demon resurrected. Though I guess many might view BT as not much in the way of competition as their user experience is pants IMO. As part of Vodafone, I hope they continue to 'live long and prosper' :)

PS - the recent re-install works better than it used to - perhaps due to our village exchange recently being upgraded as part of the drive to improve the rural digital network.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awful network

overpriced too

3. vogon00

Only 70K Subscribers?

I may be missing something, but I would have thought that VF has more users than that! Anyone know what the true figure is? At only 70k, their network must run at one hell of a loss....

1. Andrew Woodvine

Re: Only 70K Subscribers?

The article isn't very clear, but the 70k is referring specifically to fixed line broadband (as is the 10 million figure too).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, Vodafone...

...when a foreign competitor (Voda in this case) is even worse than the former national monopoly, you really start to wonder.

1. Gergmchairy

Re: Ah, Vodafone...

Foreign, ah yes Newbury must have been moved out whilst I wasn't looking... VF is 100% UK born & bred.

5. Gergmchairy

I've been a loyal Demon customer since Cliff Stanford owned the firm, recently went to them for a second DSL circuit and the price they wanted was twice what i'm currently paying.

So they lost in this case to PlusNet - which at least gives me some resilience!

6. streaky

12% Drop in Germany

No doubt this has nothing to do with Voda passing data on to GHCQ. No doubt.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like