back to article Microsoft emits Office 2016 for Apple Macs (you'll need Office 365)

Microsoft has released Office 2016 for Mac, which will include new versions of Word, Excel, OneNote, Outlook, and PowerPoint for Apple computers. To get the suite right now, you'll need an Office 365 subscription. The Windows goliath is touting the applications' revamped high-resolution user interface, which is designed to …

1. Simon Cresswell

Only available for Yosemite...

...so Jolly Jony's School of Flat Design™ refuseniks need not apply.

2. Jan 0

Rare time?

> "A launch for Office 2016 on OS X is a rare time in which Apple users will get first crack at a new Microsoft suite. The Windows version of Office 2016 is not expected to arrive until later this year."

Rare? I thought Microsoft Office on Macs is traditionally released a year or more ahead of Office for Windows. However, the two versions have been confusingly dirfferent. Is there any chance that the Mac and Windows GUIs will look similar this time?

Sigh, I don't know why I'm bothering about this. Really I'm still waiting for a a fully debugged Word 5.1 for Mac OS X (frankly, 4.2 would be more than enough). Why do I need more bloat?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Rare time?

Yes, the GUIs are now very similar and okay. Particularly warty bits of the GUI like macros benefit the most from the makeover. I much prefer the GUI of Office 2011 for Mac over Office 2010 for Windows.

The new versions seem okay, though noticeably resource hungrier than 2011. Is anyone surprised?

3. Frank N. Stein

Had been using Office 2011 up until today. Will give Office 2016 a crack and see what it's working with.

1. razorfishsl

Yes..... yes you will, because gradually with the sudden rush of updates to 2011 recently, its all going to be turned off or you will be re-paying for the functionality you paid for in 2010.

4 years of barely no updates, then 4 in a 8 month period?

4. stolen name

Still no Lync upgrade

Nice to see a new version of Office.. but where's the update to Lync for Business (or is it Skype for Lync these days)?

You know one that works where screens can be shared and video calls made, the one that broke horrendously with Yosemite which you're forced to use if you want Office 2016.. Bah

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

professional box product

It'll be £350. It's always been £350 since 1995

Just like it's always been garge.

£20 says the Outlook database will still get corrupted every 20 minutes too

6. ColonelClaw

That interface looks much nicer than the Office on Windows one. In fact it looks much nicer than the overall bleached-white Windows 10 GUI. Whoever is responsible for it should be quickly moved over to the windows division - I'm pretty sure they could do a better job in the 2 weeks left until launch than the current designer has.

7. razorfishsl

The launch for Office 2016 on OS X is an opportunity for Apple users to get first crack at a new Microsoft suite.

More like Microsofts first attempt to shove a hose up a users Crack and vacuum out any useful information.

So exactly how is this going to work, when all word & excel documents have to be uploaded to Microsoft cloud to be worked on...

Just how are legal cases going to be prosecuted with all the case notes up on M$' s servers?

8. Gannettt

I have an Office 365 account through work and downloaded Office 2016 for Mac. Apart from the 'colorful' user interface, there's really nothing much different to 2011, at least for the basic stuff I use it for. But then hasn't that been the case for all Office releases since about 1996: add a few bells and whistles to a perfectly solid office suite every few years and charge accordingly?

9. Quentin North

Outlook

They have still not fixed Outlook to make it identical to the Windows version.

Yet again, Im going to have to run Windows in Fusion/Parallels in order to get a proper Exchange client that doesn't break every five minutes and provides all the views, including the at a glance view with a side bar of upcoming events and tasks. Why can't MS just make Outlook work on a Mac, how hard can it be? Its the only reason I still run windows in a VM.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019