back to article We tried using Windows 10 for real work and ... oh, the horror

Every time I've looked at Windows 10, it hasn't been long before I've run away screaming. As recently as May the ISO was nowhere near ready for prime time. Testing Windows 10 seemed to me like volunteering to be an unpaid drug trial guinea pig – it would be painful and could potentially give you horrible side effects, and you …

Are you ready? Probably not.

The more I read, the more I think I'll wait for the second service pack. No matter how much I loath Win 8 (about 5 on a scale of 10) Win10 looks scary and a heavy price to pay for access to the new DirectX.

I can understand that a development this large must require a good deal of integration and testing, that it must be farmed out to any number of disparate groups and that some drift in aims and objectives is inevitable no matter how tight the specification. But...

What I can't understand is how anyone at Microsoft thinks they're going to avoid a shitstorm if they release this in three weeks time. At the moment it looks like a particularly lurid stick of rock with FAIL written all the way through it.

Is Eadon still a thing?

Re: Are you ready? Probably not.

"The more I read, the more I think I'll wait for the second service pack"

The more I read the more I think I'll wait for Win 7 support to end and probably then some.

Silver badge

There won't be a second service pack. Or a first for that matter. It'll be a continually evolving organically changing nightmare.

Silver badge
Boffin

Windows 10 works best

In my experience playing with Windows 10, it works best with Classic Shell installed.

Silver badge
Linux

2017: The year of Linux on the desktop, from seeds sown July 29th 2015.

Anonymous Coward

Now you know why they are giving it away free, just like one of those free toys from McDonalds.

Anonymous Coward

Windows 7? - I'm still on XP - at least it has NTBackup for Tape Backup.

Facepalm

Re: 2017: The year of Linux on the desktop

What, again?

GJC

Anonymous Coward

2017: The year of Linux on the desktop, from seeds sown July 29th 2015.

Well, no, the seeds were sown when they brought out Worries for Workgroups, it's been downhill ever since :)

Anonymous Coward

Now you know why they are giving it away free, just like one of those free toys from McDonalds.

That's an exaggeration: McDonalds toys can at least keep your kid entertained for the 10 seconds it takes before they break. No such luck with Windows.

Silver badge

I don't think a Service Pack will fix this. The issues I have with it are fundamental design choices. Search bar integrated into the taskbar, hybrid and very cluttered Start Menu, Cortana intended to be a core part of the experience yet unusable unless you grant Microsoft permission to rifle through your emails and txt messages for supplementary information, the hideous inconsistency of settings between programs and OS, the unnecessary windowing of the formerly clean Metro interface.

I am for the first time in a while seriously considering switching back to GNU/Linux for my primary desktop needs.

You are all living under a stone - It has been the year of the Linux desktop for some time now:-

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/five-big-names-that-use-linux-on-the-desktop/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

http://www.comparebusinessproducts.com/fyi/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect

Anonymous Coward

"You are all living under a stone - It has been the year of the Linux desktop for some time now:-"

So a few dozen examples out of how many millions of businesses.

Really?

They are big companies (there are fewer Big companies than small companies).........

Anonymous Coward

McDonalds toys can at least keep your kid entertained for the 10 seconds it takes before they break.

But, with Win10 your kids can keep you entertained forever getting this & that to work .... I cannot imagine this ... thing .... being installed on my wife's computer. Being on the front of all of the tabloids, I would.

Anonymous Coward

Because everyone knows all microprocessors are designed under a Windows OS.../sarc

sarc tag added for the perpetually clueless, and the perpetually stupid.

No, you are not worthy to run Linux, let alone bad-mouth it in any way.

Tell us all, other than web-surfing, all about the serious work you do on Windows...

Yup. With you on that one!

Don't they understand you get what you pay for in Life ?

That if you're not paying for it YOU are the Product ?

END OF LINE.

Silver badge
Mushroom

>> I cannot imagine this ... thing .... being installed on my wife's computer.

My wife would actually murder me in my sleep if I installed this on her computer. The last change we made was moving to Windows 7. She was okay with XP. When I "upgraded" her to Vista she raised holy hell. When 7 became available she settled down again with only a verbal warning about leaving it alone. She does use Office 2010 but only because she needed to be compatible.

One day I brought home an office laptop with Win 8 on it. She used it for a few minutes to try and browse the web. Utterly failing, she calmly made a statement about no one being able to find my body. Since then I've decided that it's best for "family harmony" that we stick with Windows 7 until it is no longer possible to revive it. Hopefully the kids will be old enough to take over tech support so I'm not the one in the crossfire when that happens.

I'm with you on that, Bob.

Any mention of new Windows or Office are met with a stony silence and a finger pointing to the spare room.

I just left my beloved XP box for a Windows 7 box at home and am already installing 'classic' versions. I look at the way the new stuff works and, if it's not an improvement, I find a way to go back to the old stuff. I know I am a fossil...

Yes, because most people just want to do what they've been doing and not face another %!@#&$ learning curve AGAIN.

Bronze badge

Holding out, happy with windows 7, no need for a buggy "upgrade" that removes aero and bribgs loads of ui problems , no need for metro apps (or whatever they are called this week).

I'm not going to be a free lab rat, falling for the free upgrade trick.

I have found it pretty good so far. I like it.

Re: The year of Linux on the desktop

All some distro has to do is a fair impression of XP and they'll be ahead of this game.

I'm still using XP on 2 machines to actually get work done. Tried 8.1 and it doesn't work well. 7 works but not as wells as XP.

Fell back over my comment and I was completely wrong about the mess Win10 would generate. Good job no-one cares one way or the other what I think. Life as a commentard is good!

Roo
Silver badge
Windows

Useful review

Thank you for kicking the tires so thoroughly - and coming up with an informative review. :)

Re: Useful review

Yes, indeed - thank you Andrew.

But can you explain why everything is blue?

I mean, it was bad enough when they changed Outlook from yellow to blue so users click on it instead of Word half the time but who knows what they'll open and frustratingly have to keep closing.

Isn't that the whole purpose of those bright - SIMPLE - tiles? To make is easy to locate what you want? I hope you can actually change the background colours now. Given the simplicity of most of the icons, there's no technical reason why that shouldn't be possible.

Something that REALLY bugs me in Windows 8.1/2012 R2 is how you can only choose between "small" and "medium" when resizing the tiles. Why? Why can't I have Word as a "wide" tile or a "large" tile? It seems a small thing to be worked up about but the annoyance comes from the fact that the 'live' tiles can be resized as you wish. The take-away - use our new-fangled 'apps', not those antiquated program things.

Or is that just me?

Anonymous Coward

It's preparing you for how you will feel when you install it, and it lowers the contrast between it working and bluescreening - makes it less noticeable. Don't let anyone tell you that Microsoft doesn't pay attention to the User Experience, they have a whole department dedicated to making your life as miserable as possible. That's also why it has that background: it gives you back that real locked-in-the-basement feel that their executives must yearn for from their childhood..

OK - who dosed my coffee?

Anonymous Coward

The designers felt that blue will form a lovely contrast with the blood spatter on the screen from users shooting themselves in the head?

Yes Andrew, thanks for taking one for the team.

The BSoD went purple with Win 8 (or maybe it was 8.1 - I haven't investigated in detail, but I have seen a couple on the office Surface). Have they decided to go back to blue in 10?

Everything is not really blue, it's an optical illusion with there being so much white.

Win 10's so overwhelmingly white, only an anti-Desiato is going to feel comfortable using it.

You know the old observation that every other version of Windows was a duff one: 3.0, workgroups, 98(*), Vista, 8. Is it possible that in going from 8 to 10 they've skipped the decent release?

(* I think the data is tweaked to fit the rule a bit by saying ME wasn't really a new version)

Bronze badge

Win98=bad, Win98SE=good, WinME=bad. But then you have the problem of Win2k (good, but released before ME, and XP, which (eventually, admittedly), was better than 2k.

I wonder how many niggles are still lurking around from the NT 3.51 days - the display control panel from there lasted until WinXP.

Silver badge
Alien

@Tom_Parke first heard that theory about Star Trek films:

1: Bad hair day - BAD

2: Spock gets killed - GOOD

3: Enterprise TWOCed. Spock not dead - BAD

4: The freaking-Greenpeace-whale-one - GOOD

5: Gun fights with God - BAD

6: Shakespeare-quoting Klingons - GOOD

7: Shatner dies. In so many ways. - BAD

8. Borg queen seduces Data - GOOD

9. Tedious Romulan - BAD

I could go on...

Is it possible that in going from 8 to 10 they've skipped the decent release?

Yes, they most certainly did. Windows 9 should have been a return to the classic interface of Windows 7 , perhaps keeping the tweaks and optimizations under the hood from Windows 8. Basically like New Coke was replaced by Coke Classic and simply became Coke again. Where is my Windows Classic?

I thought the data was tweaked by saying 98 was dud, 98SE was good, and ME was not.

Re Odd Number Versions

Are you sure that's not Star Trek you're thinking of?

Silver badge

Re: Is it possible that in going from 8 to 10 they've skipped the decent release?

I hope you do know that the replacement for New Coke was not, not at all, Classic Coke. I have a store down the street that gets the original recipe Coke from a bottling plant in Mexico that's independent of the Coke multinational. You can tell the difference immediately once you taste it.

Silver badge

Selective data

Why does everyone show a different list of Windows versions when making that tired old quote about every other version being good (or bad)?

Perhaps because if you use the actual list, it's not so clear cut.

First off, there are the major DOS-based versions:

1, 2, 3, 95, 98, ME

But that's not quite right, because there are minor versions with significant updates, and splits within. So you've really got:

1, 2, 2.1(/286), 2.1(/386 -- first release with protected mode), 3, 3.1, 3.11, 3.2 (Chinese), 3.1x/3.2 with Win32 (32-bit extensions), 95, 95 SP1, 95 OSR1 (first release with IE bundled), 95 OSR2, 95 OSR2 USB Supplement, 95 OSR2.1, 95 OSR2.5, 98, 98SE, ME.

Then in (pseudo-)parallel development, you have the NT versions:

3*, 4, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10

But then there are the minor versions of those:

3.1*, 3.5, 3.51, 4.0, 2000, 2000 SP1-4, XP, XP SP1-SP3, Vista, Vista SP1-SP2, 7, 7SP1, 8, 8.1, 10

* The first version of NT was 3.1, to keep the numbers parallel with the DOS-based version of Windows the GUI was from.

Finally, interleaving those based on release date, you have (NT in bold)

2.1(/286)

2.1(/386 -- first release with protected mode)

Windows for Workgroups 3.1,3.11

NT 3.1*

3.2 (Chinese)

3.1x/3.2 with Win32s (32-bit extensions halfway compatible with NT)

NT 3.5

NT 3.51

95 SP1

95 OSR1 (first release with IE bundled)

95 OSR2

95 OSR2 USB Supplement

95 OSR2.1

95 OSR2.5

NT 4.0

98SE

ME

2000 SP1-4

XP

XP SP1-SP3

Vista

Vista SP1-SP2

7SP1

Now, I've taken some liberties with this list, not including most x.0x releases because they generally did not include much new functionality, but NT 3.51 and all of the 95 OSRs did include some major functionality changes. Although the later NT version Service Packs often did include significant functionality changes (most notably XP SP3 which made XP somewhat secure, and Vista SP1, which made Vista actually work) but since at that point there weren't parallel versions, I combined the SPs into a single entry because that makes them a single cumulative set of functionality updates.

So even this list is debatable, but it's a damned sight closer than any other I've seen. Still, it shows how absurd the alternating quality hypothesis is -- not because you can't come up with a list in which the odd versions are good, but because there are so many ways to crop and shuffle this list that you can just as easily come up with an equally definitive list which proves that the even versions are the good ones, or the prime-indexed ones, or whichever particular pattern you'd prefer.

Silver badge

Re: Is it possible that in going from 8 to 10 they've skipped the decent release?

"the original recipe Coke from a bottling plant in Mexico"

Yes, Mexico still uses cane sugar, instead of that High fructose corn syrup that's so beloved by corn growers in the US.

Facepalm

The reason for not having a Windows NEIN is obvious.

Think of all the fun the comedians could have had with Colonel Klink and Schultz saying NEIN, NEIN, NEIN Microsoft.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Selective data

Why does everyone show a different list of Windows versions when making that tired old quote about every other version being good (or bad)?

Because they don't have enough time on their hands to compile such a list? :)

Did you ever think about that either they are using 20+ years old syrup or they don't use any sanctioned coke syrup at all? Why would they have "the original" when nobody else has it???

Coke tastes different in each country because of the water (and maybe also different syrups)

So they also don't have anything more "original" than just another version....

td97402 > Where is my Windows Classic?

Ubuntu Mate.

I&I

Adobe CC, señor

Coat

FYI Plastic Surgery Junkies is 9. Tedious Romulan is 10.

Tedious Romulan

Tedious Romulan was 10. 9 was the planet where you didn't age because of something in the rings.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018