back to article Oz politicians SUCK at drafting trade agreements

Opponents of the Trans Pacific Partnership have had a key defeat in America, with the Senate passing crucial “fast track” legislation that lets President Barack Obama push ahead with the deal. The vote is crucial to letting the White House get the stalled negotiations moving again. Meanwhile, one of Australia's most …

1. dan1980

This headline could have been streamlined:

"Oz politicians SUCK."

Actually, even that looks to have one too many words:

"Politicians SUCK."

There - that's a nice, lean statement.

To the story - we are getting this. It will pass nearly unopposed and almost completely un-amended. Consultation will be minimal and those demanding - begging - to see the draft so they can have an input will be left to say: "told you so".

Some days I feel that my heart is just broken. Melodramatic perhaps, but that's how it feels to watch the country I love throw away it's identity and the freedom of its people in order to to watch it tag along with the US, trying so very hard to emulate and impress it and so readily agreeing with it. You were great in the game last night; can we carry your books?

1. Thorne

Politicians might suck as making trade deals but they excel at selling out the people they are suppose to represent.......

1. Denarius

I disagree. They loyally do exactly what the corporate donors like, with a very few honourable exceptions.

1. dan1980

@Denarius

Unfortunately, those who are trying to represent the people and who urge consultation and transparency and caution and safeguards generally don't have a great deal of power.

One reason being that the major parties are structured such that corporate interests rule so if you have any say in things then you are almost, by definition not representing the people.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cultural Cringe will now be Enshrined in L.A.W.

Can't wait for the first attack on sovereignty.

Given both side of politics in this country have facilitated this ridiculous attempt to appease Capt'n Crunch, the air will so dense with finger pointing, fairies will never walk again for all of the trip hazards created.

The sad part is pointing out that this is bad, will label the individual as "Un Australian" or a left wing loonie. When in reality you are actually standing up to protect the Nationalism that others normally wear as bullet proof undergarments.

There will be benefits for those who are writing the document in the US and strangely enough anyone who has an Australian franchise of the American Dream.

Meh. I'm of to watch some Australian content on the net.. Oh wait we forgot to make it while watching Seinfeld. I'm up for reruns of Hey Dad and The Rolf Harris show but for some reason I can't find them anymore

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Facepalm

TPP

Totally Powned Plebs

3. Green Nigel 42
    Megaphone

Democracy TIpping Point

Sounds like the TIPP agreement being forced through behind closed doors between the US & EU. If ordinary people question it, we are told its far to complex & we couldn't possibly understand it so please, good little people, leave it to the great & the good to look after you.

4. Denarius
    Unhappy

Oh I dunno

I think Oz bureaucrats, advisers and pollies are very good at doing what they are bought to do. Bend over, undo belt...

5. earplugs

Any provision for a TPP Chunnel to let in more illegals?

Lucky for Australia's distance otherwise they'd open a Chunnel express for faster movement of trade and illegals. The incredible signs of both piling up at Calais during a strike recently show how much a commodity humans have become. Zuck, the boy who commoditised girls so well at Yale , now has enough clout to commoditise everyone via TPP and other fakery.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon