back to article Killer ChAraCter HOSES almost all versions of Reader, Windows

Get patching: Google Project Zero hacker Mateusz Jurczyk has dropped 15 remote code execution vulnerabilities, including a single devastating hack against Adobe Reader and Windows he reckons beats all exploit defences. The accomplished offensive security researcher (@j00ru) presented findings at the Recon security conference …

Page:

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    FAIL

Adobe (and I guess MS as well) put font handling in the kernel from NT 4.0 to gain speed at the expense of having privileged-based protection, and against Dave Cutler's original micro kernel plans. What could possibly go wrong?

Oh yes, this...

1. Sean Timarco Baggaley

As opposed to, say, game controller drivers? Or did you not read the article about the latest Linux kernel release?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Um, font handling is graphics-related, and yes, graphics drivers are in the kernel for performance reasons since performance gaming demands less context switching. Not all of us use cutting-edge hardware, remember.

2. Mystic Megabyte
    Facepalm

Ooops!

That is some powerful bug, I'm so glad that I moved away from Windows some years ago. If the BBC would stop using Flash I would not need Adode's products either.

I'm not being smug, Windows stops being productive when you spend more time fixing it than using it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ooops!

doesn't take long, just remove adobe reader

1. Danny 14

Re: Ooops!

ironically enough, when office 2013 came out we got rid of adobe reader and used word to open PDFs (mainly so the teachers can edit PDFs as appropriate). Only the drama and music teachers have adobe reader on a couple of machines due to various locked down PDFs for manuscripts and scores.

3. hplasm
    Devil

Compared to this...

Heartbleed? Tis but a fleshwound.

1. kryptylomese

Re: Compared to this...

Good try but you do not have to use openssl on Linux as there are alternatives. Also because it is opensource, you can fix it yourself rather that waiting on Microsoft to decide whether to fix something or not.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

"Also because it is opensource, you can fix it yourself"

I am a staunch supporter of Open Source, but I have to say that arguments like this help no one and only serve to ruin the image of Open Source in the people's minds when they find out what is involved to "fix it yourself". That argument just alienates people that would otherwise love Open Source because they have neither the time nor skills nor inclination to write and/or apply patches to random pieces of software.

2. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Good try, but expecting amateurs to fix industrial strength cryptography code is a bit much. I understand the principles involved, but none of the maths.

Still, ignorance doesn't appear to be a barrier to some coders, or the Heartbleed issue wouldn't have happened.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But it worked so well for Debian!

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Compared to this... @STB

The counter to this is that although you (and I, I will admit) may not have the skill to fix problems like this, we do have the ability to aid someone who does, with a formal or informal contribution of either money or equipment, and it does not even have to be the developer with the Open Source software model.

I suppose that you could give Microsoft and Adobe money and ask them to do the same, but I suspect that it would disappear into the general coffers, and not significantly affect the quality of the code.

1. Sean Timarco Baggaley

A "formal or informal contribution of either money or equipment" = payment. No matter how you try and frame it, it comes down to offering something in return for a service.

The bugs in question have been sitting in multiple versions of Windows and Adobe's software for well over a *decade*, yet it took Mateusz Jurczyk—a professional hacker—to find them. Are all programmers the world over supposed to be able to match Mr. Jurczyk's abilities as a matter of routine?

Even if I had the entire source code to Windows, OS X, and the latest spin of Gentoo sitting on my hard disk, I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to even *start* looking for backdoors and the like, let alone how to fix them if I came across one. My current expertise lies in writing tutorials about flinging sprites around a screen using C# and Unity, not in untangling the source code to OpenSSL. And I once spent 15 solid months doing nothing *but* debugging other people's code, so thanks, but no thanks; I'll leave that to hardcore masochists.

Yes, it means trusting businesses, but how is that any different to trusting random folk on the Internet? I'm not wealthy enough to have money to throw at random strangers whose CVs could be complete and utter fabrications for all I know. When it comes to programmers with security skills, performing due diligence isn't optional.

So, I can just as easily have Apple, Microsoft, etc. "fix their source code" instead, with no need for me to have access to it. Better still, I actually get free, and (usually) timely patches and updates from both companies without having to lift so much as a finger!

I believe the current fashion among young whippersnappers is to add a "W3wt!" at this point, or something equally vacuous.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
              Facepalm

You've missed the point - but to be fair, so did the OP.

Finding exploits doesn't require the source code, but fixing exploits does.

It's also much easier to fix an exploit than to find one. Eg a use-after-free

Once an exploit is found, there are two scenarios:

A) Closed-source software. Only the organisation that owns the software can choose to spend the resources to fix it.

B) Open-source software. Any entity can choose to spend the resources needed to fix it.

If you depend on that software, then under (A) you can request that the owner fixes it. If they do not, then you can either stop using the software or live with the consequences of the exploit.

Under (B), you can request that the organisation that made it fixes it. If they do not, then you can arrange for somebody else to fix it.

Under (A), if the entity that owns it has lost the source code or closed down, you are done for.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Good try, but expecting amateurs to fix industrial strength cryptography code is a bit much. I understand the principles involved, but none of the maths.

The only maths needed to understand or fix Heartbleed is basic arithmetic. It's a read past the end of an array.

The hard part about Heartbleed was finding it - and even that shouldn't have been hard, if the commit had been reviewed in the first place, or if anyone was fuzzing new OpenSSL features as they were added.

Heartbleed happened because:

1) The code in question was written by a typical C programmer, i.e. one who prefers ad hoc, terse, poorly-structured code to the carefully considered and properly-designed sort. In that it matches the rest of the OpenSSL source base. I have much respect for Eric Young and Steve Henson, for their technical accomplishments and knowledge, but the fact is that their code is an ugly mess. As is most of the C I've seen (and I've been working with the language since the mid-80s).

2) The DTLS Heartbeat code wasn't properly reviewed when it was submitted. That may be partly because it was written by the author of the spec; it's probably mostly because the OpenSSL team was badly understaffed and undercompensated at the time. But this is what happens when you accept patches without thorough review.

3) Despite OpenSSL's widespread use, no one tested the feature thoroughly when it was added - at least no one interested in publishing the vulnerability. OpenSSL is widely used, but mostly because people need to tick off a "secure communications" checkbox. It's used grudgingly, not because it makes anyone's life easier. And so people don't want to test it. They just hope it works.

Once Heartbleed was announced, it was quite easy to identify the mistake, and fixing it was trivial.

3. hplasm
        Facepalm

"Good try but ..."

I think you need to read it again, perhaps?

Compared to this, Heartbleed IS but a fleshwound...

/whoosh

4. getHandle

Will it BLEND?

Yes, I guess so :-)

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Thumb Up

His Kung-Fu is the best

It's like getting owned by Hacky Chan!

1. Richard 26
      Facepalm

Re: His Kung-Fu is the best

I just realized I opened a PDF link about a Reader exploit.

1. big_D Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: His Kung-Fu is the best

That was my first thought as well.

PDF is dangerous, read this PDF to find out why! P4WN3D!

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Welcome to the last 20 years of software development

I have yet to see a _SINGLE_ large corporation where "reliability and security" of the developer's code is fed back into his rating.

It is actually trivial - the source code control system can trace a particular commit to a particular person - that should go automated on his current perf review regardless of how old is the code in question. In reality - it never does.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Welcome to the last 20 years of software development

To be effective, you would also need the chain of decisions that led to that particular "problem." Typically that only occurs when a truly catastrophic event occurs. (Aircraft crashes, Shuttle blows up, bridge collapse, ....) You can fire everyone over a period of time and still have the problem found in the management side that forces the situation in the first place.

BTW, I like including tolerances (sanity checks) even in software. If something is passed into my design that is unexpected, there's certainly a problem. Notify the operator and make damned sure that this is really the intent. It's the same order as not crossing a bridge under certain conditions (wind, earthquake, ...).

7. Andy The Hat Silver badge

PDF was originally touted as providing access to a secure document. Standard, reliable and secure. Since then, however secure the document, the apps break the system around them.

Bit like locking the riveted steel front door on the way out but breaking the kitchen window ...

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Funny how that works...

Lately I've been considering just converting my documents to Bitmaps and send those to people... At least we know that those are secure (or at least should be since reading a bitmap and drawing it on the screen is the graphics library equivalent of "Hello World")

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Should be secure, but aren't necessarily. There's been a slew of security patches for various bitmap loader libs this year. (PNG anyone?) Much better odds than PDF though.

Open-src font libs are also potentially vulnerable to similar attacks, and the PDF readers on Linux... yeah they've got major problems too.

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Does anyone think he's really the first person to have discovered these?

In a very secure office somewhere in Maryland....

"That sneaky little f**ker has f**ked us good. Now we'll have to find more ways in that most people haven't thought of. We've been using those for decades. Ba***rd."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More likely

"Ha! That sneaky little f**ker has only found 15 of 'em."

9. John G Imrie

Does this also ...

Effect BSD and Linux font rendering or is it purely a Micosoft problem?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does this also ...

"Effect BSD and Linux font rendering or is it purely a Micosoft problem?"

Unlikely since X.org is (almost?) entirely source. However AFAIK a lot of it still runs with root privs so in theory a similar exploit could exist.

1. Tomato42
        Linux

actually, you can have rootless X for some time now, dunno how many distros default to that

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

While X is safely outside the kernel where is should be, I think the Linux kernel still has some font handling stuff for the console, RHEL certainly passes in font arguments into the kernel by default, I guess the driver for the graphics card needs some.

SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16

I tend to rip this out as graphics heads are well into the realm of fishes with bicycles IMHO when it comes to servers, but it seems I'm in a minority.

1. MacroRodent

The font handling in Linux kernel is trivial, just fixed-width bitmap fonts. Should be easy to check.

3. Crazy Operations Guy

Some graphics drivers have routines to accelerate rendering text on the screen, so there might be something lurking in there. And there is a good chance that there is some Adobe-written code in there as well...

10. Anonymous Blowhard

Quote from Wikipedia:

"Adobe, the Spanish word for mud brick originates from Arabic, is a building material made from earth and often organic material."

I think "organic material" is a euphemism for "shit".

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
      Coat

Re: Quote from Wikipedia:

I always thought adobe meant "half baked"

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

2. dogged
      Headmaster

I like the way you think but actually it's "straw".

1. hplasm
        Happy

"I like the way you think but actually it's "straw"."

Mostly horseshit then?

11. joed

all suported versions of Windows

does XP count?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: all suported versions of Windows

Maybe if you flip the POSReady switch in the registry?

12. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

Ah. Adobe. Again.

Not for the first time do I wish that Windows had ceased support for Adobe fonts when TrueType was introduced.

I suppose that, with the benefit of hindsight, embedding Adobe's crapware in your O/S and giving it kernel privilege always was a one-way ticket to fuckup city.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Ah. Adobe. Again.

That the problem with deciding between "Increase security just a bit" and "substantially improve performance"... While the performance hit is fairly trivial nowadays, there was never a reason to change it. Users demand things be fast and pretty, they don't care about security...

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

The amazing thing is, MS have completely re-written all of Windows from the ground up at least twice since this bug came in and they've managed to inadvertently re-introduce the flaw on each occasion.

1. Captain DaFt

"MS have completely re-written all of Windows from the ground up at least twice since this bug came in"

At Microsoft, copy and paste is considered a rewrite.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

MS have completely re-written all of Windows from the ground up at least twice since this bug came in and they've managed to inadvertently re-introduce the flaw on each occasion.

No they haven't. They've significantly rewritten large parts of Windows, but they haven't "completely re-written all" of it. There's still plenty of old code. It's absurd to believe that even the big Windows rearchitecting moments involved rewriting every single line of code.

That's why ATMFD.DLL still has a copyright date that starts with 1993.

And, of course, ATMFD.DLL has a copyright notice that says it belongs to Adobe. They wrote it. Microsoft just sticks it in Windows.

13. Tom 7

Baffled

as to why the Linux kernel would even be bothered with fonts - given that the kernel gives no fucks about graphics at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Baffled

Have you not heard of KMS?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@s2bu

KMS has bugger all to do with font parsing in the Linux Kernel.

2. storner

Some of us old grey-beards do like to read stuff on the console, which requires a working font.

Especially when you live in a country where ASCII is only a subset of the alphabet.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Some of us old grey-beards do like to read stuff on the console

That's why I only use a hard-copy terminal. I go through a hell of a lot of fan-fold, particularly when the browser refreshes, but it's worth it for the safety.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like