back to article Slippery Silk Road spook will plead guilty to duping dealers

A US Secret Service information security bod is going to enter a guilty plea to pilfering US$820,000 in Bitcoins from scuttled drug souk the Silk Road. Shaun W. Bridges admitted to harvesting the anonymous currency before cashing out at the then Mx Gox Bitcoin exchange and going into hiding. “Mr. Bridges has regretted his …

1. Schlimnitz

From the very beginning

"Mr. Bridges has regretted his actions from the very beginning,"

Am I too cynical if I assume that he means "from the moment he was caught"?

This sordid story brings to mind the saying "set a thief to catch a thief". Though one might substitute 'scumbag'.

2. Richard 26

Am I too cynical if I assume that he means "from the moment he was caught"?

Well, perhaps. It might be true that he was tempted by access to a whole pile of money, and regretted it. It's a fairly normal human reaction. It's not much of a defence though, especially from someone in law enforcement.

OTOH, what Carl Force is accused of is a whole other level of wrong and if proved, deserves serious time.

3. thomas k

And I would've gotten away with it ...

... if it weren't for you meddling kids!

4. Norm DePlume

I am suprised, nay, astounded that anyone in the intelligence community could have behaved unethically.

Ah ... wait ...

5. Mark 85

If convicted...

...they should get the max time with NO parole. Those who do the watching and have power should be held to a higher standard of ethics than anyone else.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: If convicted...

Those who do the watching and have power should be held to a higher standard of ethics than anyone else.

In this case, I would guess that he will be. Even if he is not convicted, he will have lost his job and most likely any chance at gaining another one requiring a clearance.

At least that's what I am telling myself.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure he regrets...

...being caught - from the beginning. Prison will do him good.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Appeal

doesn't the evidence that task force members were colluding with Silk Road lend more weight to ulbrichts defence that it wasn't him and he was stitched up by someone at the last minute.

Not Agreeimg with him, but does shed a different light on his conspriracy theories.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like