back to article Go fac' yourselves: US privacy bods walk out of visage recog talks

Talks to establish a code of conduct for the commercial use of facial recognition technology in the US have collapsed, following the withdrawal of privacy advocates who claimed industry representatives weren't cooperating. The talks, which began in February 2014, were organised by the National Telecommunication and Information …

1. cs94njw

Tricky.

Legally you're able to take a picture of anyone you like in public.

And shops are "private property" which can refuse entry, and have cameras everywhere, and usually stop you using your own camera.

If you're on a shop's property, then they could always refuse you entry if you don't accept their T&Cs.

1. Graham Marsden
      Stop

"they could always refuse you entry if you don't accept their T&Cs."

And I can tell them where they can shove their T&Cs and go somewhere else.

2. strum

>Legally you're able to take a picture of anyone you like in public.

While marginally true, taking lots of photos of the same person(s) could get you arrested (or punched).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sad but working solutions...

Face masks

Helmets

Balaclavas

I'll go with my thin spring/autumn motorcycling balaclava.

Maybe I should get in touch with companies in China or Indonesia, which can produce them in large numbers for little money, and earn a fortune in the name of privacy!

1. Chris G

Re: Sad but working solutions...

Perhaps those companies could produce the balaclavas to mimic the faces of say; top supporters of

facial recognition.

2. swampdog
      Joke

Now there's an untapped market

..for face fondling balaclavas and head hugging hoodies. Have the eastern companies embed a chip into each garment which will silently upload the wearer's facial profile at every opportunity. Those buggers can go straight onto the suspicious felon police database. What's not to like?

Ditto, c*ck cradling condoms.. get onto to that perv DB!

In case anyone is concerned I decided not to make myself Prime Minister because I have too many of these ideas.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Sad but working solutions...

Not really.

I think that it is illegal in most countries to hide your face in public.

That is why the bank robbers in films always put on their balaclavas right before going into the bank. If they walked all the way there in public, they'd be arrested long before they got to the bank door.

3. phil dude
    Pint

liability...

There needs to be much greater liability for corporation to hold *any* personal data.

I would love to see the lawsuit for fingering the wrong twin (didn't anyone not see Luther?)

No idea what to do about incompetent $GOVT...

P.

4. Dazed and Confused

to promote better and more personalised service levels

Of course they could always just employ staff who give a s*it and who take the trouble to know their customers and treat everyone as important anyway.

Even that can freak people out. Last year I was staying in a hotel and one evening in the executive lounge a lady walked in and the receptionist smiled at her and said "Good evening Mrs ..., I think your husband is sitting around to the left" When she'd found her husband she was freaking out, "how does she know my name?" and the husband was explaining that they'd come in the night before and had their room key checked for entry, of course the receptionist would remember, and that she'd probably remember if you came back next year too and she'd remember what you like to drink, that's her job.

1. Graham Marsden
      Meh

Re: to promote better and more personalised service levels

Of course the flip side of that is when my bank or gym scans my card and then says "Hello Mr Marsden" as if I should be impressed that they've just read my name off their screen.

5. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Simple solution

Any use of facial recognition technology for non law enforcement purposes, or without the prior written consent of the person whose face is being recognised, should be a federal offence.

6. wsm

If only...

Most of these strained attempts at justifying the technology seem to be of the type--"If only we had known it was you, we would have treated you better."

But is there really anything a machine can do for you by recognizing you? Other than some biometric applications, the rest of this stuff seems to be related only to crowd control by threat of identification.

7. Graham Marsden
    Holmes

So...

... the Industry which wants to monetise us refuses to accept that we have any right to not be stalked by them everywhere we go?

Colour me surprised...

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Facial recognition is used to"

provide the NSA with the complete list of people in a given area at a given time, to be plugged into the The Machine at a future time.

So, Person of Interest really was a documentary after all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like