back to article Huawei humps up its DS8000 heavyweight array range

Chinese IT conglomerate Huawei has added a third generation to its VMAX/DS8000-class 18000 series arrays. The V2 18000 arrays topped the SPC-1 lists for hybrid arrays, delivering more than a million SPC-1 IOPS. They have from 2 to 16 controllers, up to 99.9999 per cent availability, and range up to 7PB of capacity. Huawei …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. liquidh20

Free cloud storage

Amazing arrays. You forgot to mention the free unlimited cloud backup of your data. If you have a crash all you need to do is request a copy off the Chinese government servers......

Jokes aside, wouldn't touch these after the US Senate rulings against Huawei

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Free cloud storage

Seriously, because the Senate says "they're bad" that's enough for you? I guess you believe the lies they've been telling about Snowden, and believed Clapper's statement that the government isn't spying on you until Snowden exposed his lies.

Huawei may be building bugged equipment, but so is Cisco (maybe even without their knowledge) so you're at as much risk either way. But I guess someone as naive you as appear to be trusts his own government always has his best interests at heart even as they violate the Constitution in numerous ways.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Free cloud storage

"If you have a crash all you need to do is request a copy off the Chinese government servers......"

Presumably more efficient than requesting a copy off the US government servers?

2. seven of five

FICON?

yes, it is quick, and has many nines but... I was under the impression FICON is neccessary to justify the "enterprise" label.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FICON?

FICON is an IBM trade name, why is it necessary for anything else you're an IBM shop?

1. seven of five

We were, yes. Maybe I should have said "mainfraime connectivity" instead of "FICON".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They're leaving the mainframe market to storage made by IBM, EMC and Hitachi. Mainframe customers are the most conservative and risk-averse of anyone, so they wouldn't consider Huawei until they've been on the market for years.

I certainly disagree if you think that mainframe support is required for the 'enterprise' label. If EMC sold a version of the Vmax without the capability for mainframe connectivity, it would still be an enterprise array.

1. seven of five

I am with you on this, though I was under the impression there was some kind of gentlemans agreement gizmos need mainframe compatibility in order to be called enterprise and everything else being "just midrange". No matter how quick, smart oder big said midrange thingy is...

Alas, seems like them olden days are gone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like