back to article Facebook Lite: Website strips off to lure in another billion users

Facebook has built Facebook Lite for folks in bandwidth-challenged nations – a stripped down version of The Social NetworkTM that won't wipe out anyone's monthly download allowances. The Silicon Valley giant says the new app weighs in at under one megabyte, offers “core experiences like News Feed, status updates, photos, …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. werdsmith Silver badge

I'm making good progress with my rehab. I've whittled my friends list down from several hundred to just 26, I look at FB about twice a day and I don't post anything. My timeline has been wiped out of all comments and status. I'm almost there. There are just a few things that are keeping me involved, but I've got rid of all the drivel, viral hoax scare stories and pathetic attention seeking statuses that express a hint of a problem to invite people to ask for more information.

The worst thing about Facebook for me is that it shows up a lot of the stupidity that I'd rather just be unaware of.

3. msknight

FINALLY!!!!!

"bandwidth-challenged parts of the world"

...they take care of rural Sussex.

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Re: FINALLY!!!!!

... and rural France. I've only recently got access to 3G. I had to manage with dial-up on a badly maintained telephone system often with an access speed of only 22 kbps. Many rural villages in France are still effectively cut off from the Internet or limited to poor quality dial-up.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: FINALLY!!!!!

I thought that was the point of living in rural France. Silly me.

4. Graham Marsden
    Holmes

All the ads, hardly any content

FTFY

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks Zuckerberg, but no thanks...

OK, I'm not third world, but my £15 PAYG landfill android phone works very nicely without facebook. Thanks for thinking of me though...

*puts facebook app at back of drawer under ugly christmas jumper*

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Set the hook

It is very simple. You set the hook first... then you reel them in. First you create a need. Just a little bait or chum the waters. As more sniff around you are establishing a market...One that will grow hungrier... then sell the to market and those that would sell to it. Next thing you know.. there is a bigger economy to work with and cash in on - on many levels.

Common sense.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like