back to article Windows 10 upgrade ADWARE forces its way on to Windows 7 and 8.1

Microsoft's Get Windows 10 app has started appearing on Windows 7 and 8 boxes, with a one-click option to upgrade free to the new OS from July 29. The company is keen to persuade users to upgrade, particularly following the lacklustre response to Windows 8. At Microsoft’s Build conference, Windows boss Terry Myerson predicted …

Silver badge

I'm confused

by all this talk of 'apps' - I run Windows 7 on one machine and Win 8.1 on another. Both run programs, not apps. (win 8.1 boots to desktop and has a start menu installed, so it looks very similar to win 7). I have no idea what to do with those silly coloured squares that sometimes appear under Win 8.1 - they don't seem to serve any useful purpose.

My phone and tablets use android - they run apps.

How would I run a check Windows 10 app on a windows 7 machine, which only runs programs?

I'm looking forward to getting a new laptop in a year vor so, with Win 10 installed from scratch, and hopefully without any of these silly 'apps', or Office 365.

</grumpy old sod mode>

Pint

Re: I'm confused

My phone and tablets use android - they run apps.

How would I run a check Windows 10 app on a windows 7 machine, which only runs programs?

Have a pint on me, for saying what I think every time someone does this. I know in one sense it's only terminology, but I'm also a grumpy old sod at times and I concur completely.

Silver badge
Headmaster

IS there something about the modern attention span that can't get all the way to the end of 'application'? I mean, I know it's a long word, but even so...

Silver badge

2000 AD was 15 years ago.

Get with the prog!

Silver badge

And Jesus was only 2015 years ago. What would he do?

2014 years ago, year he was born in would be year 1 not year 0 /pedantic

He was born in year 6 BCE, if you really want to be pedantic...

It's easy to get rid of the apps on a Windows 8/8.1/10 install:

Start PowerShell with admin privileges.

Type in:

get-appxpackage -allusers | remove-appxpackage

Hit Enter

All the unprotected packages will be zapped. A couple are protected e.g. Settings, Store etc. but it's best they stay in case you need them at some point.

Given the state of the US Public Edumacation System, I believe the issue is more that they can't SPELL to the end of applikayshun

Silver badge

Re: Re: I'm confused

Command line - I lolled.

Anonymous Coward

To be really pedantic, there's no real evidence he was born at all, the first references to him in the historical record outside the Bible are 80 years after his supposed death.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

"IS there something about the modern attention span that can't get all the way to the end of 'application'? "

My "apps" have been in c:\apps since the 80's when we only had 8.3 filenames and directories :-)

We called applications "apps" back in the day, so obviously you are either a) not old enough, or b) so old you've forgotten. Don't take my word for it, have a look for example at this article from PC Mag in 1997; "This separation of storage into apps and data [...] If you intermingle apps and data in your directories[...]" etc etc. Yes, the term has been appropriated in current popular usage to refer primarily to mobile applications, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who still uses "app" as simply an abbreviation for "application".

Windows

If you are that old, you will also remember:

"Unix for innovation, Mac for productivity, Windows for Solitaire."

Anonymous Coward

What I remember is thinking 'apps' was pretentious marketing-speak, from day one.

Or is that 'day zero'?

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Nonsense. How could Jesus Christ have been born in 6 BC, that is in year 6 Before Christ??

Presumably he only started believing (or perhaps Mary told him to pretend so as not to spoil her 'virgin' lie) when he was the age of 6.....

Silver badge

1997? That's far from being "back in the day". It's you who's not old enough.

Silver badge

Or perhaps he was never born at all. The evidence for him is pretty unconvincing really.

Silver badge

Ha! Someone gave this a thumbs down. LOL.

Anonymous Coward

Came upon a broken down car at a rest area on US I-70 near the Colorado/Utah state line a couple of hours ago.

A scrawled bit of paper on the dash said

'Bok, back 5/31/15'

The writer clearly didn't get back yesterday.

But what struck me was that 'Bok' short for Borked or Broke/Broken?

Ain't the US EDU System wonderful....

{said car was being towed and was gonna cost the owner/driver at least $500 to get it back because we were 50 miles from the nearest services}

This bit of I-70 has signs saying 'Eagles on Road'. Now that would be something worth seeing.

Solitaire and Minesweeper are more fun. I like the Chess game too.

Amen.

Apps run on iOS, Applications run on OS X.

Windows runs Programs.

Silver badge

<To be really pedantic, there's no real evidence he was born at all, the first references to him in the historical record outside the Bible are 80 years after his supposed death./>

I'm getting a bit tired with all this windows 10 griping so I'll jump on this instead. I think you will now find, if you look at some real academic researchers, that there is now not much doubt that Jesus did, indeed, exist. What there IS plenty of is doubt about his divinity. I.E. he was just a man like you and I.

Anonymous Coward

@Stephen Leslie - Re: I'm confused

What do you mean "protected" ? I want them removed and I assume all risks for that, I'm a competent admin. If after that I see it's broken then I will repair it but don't tell me I'm not allowed to do it.

Jesus definitely existed.

He brought us the Jesus phone.

He died and was resurrected in 2009. In 2011 he "ascended".

So sayeth people who drink tea in coffee shops...

BCE, before Common Era. "BC" and "AD" has been deprecated.

If you remember your bible, Jesus was born when there was a census. And this census was about 6 BCE.

I'm looking forward to getting a new laptop in a year vor so, with Win 10 installed from scratch, and hopefully without any of these silly 'apps', or Office 365.

And I hope to win the Euromillions, Powerball & Megamillions Lotteries too.... Though I don't really expect that to happen either... Unless your thinking of some flavor of Ubuntu w/Libreoffice installed... I think MicroSoft, are for Once actually stating quite clearly, and with the utmost distinction. That the days of a ~5 Year OS + Word, are over!

He was born in year 6 BCE, if you really want to be pedantic...

Yeah it kinda figures that even the Church can't work out what the dates are...

Perhaps the Doctor, Doctor Emmit Brown, Bill & Ted etc... Could just pop 'round and have a noise in... And, just possibly put this whole charade of divinity to rest?

Though I don't know how I'd feel if they all came back, (With Pictures!, or better Phablet Movies), of that Cat turning Water into Wine feeding x number of People with just that one Fish etc...

Type in:

get-appxpackage -allusers | remove-appxpackage

Hit Enter

All the unprotected packages will be zapped. A couple are protected e.g. Settings, Store etc. but it's best they stay in case you need them at some point

Are you sure you haven't left out a sudo somewhere? Or, an apt- over there?

"Unix for innovation, Mac for productivity, Windows for Solitaire."

Sounds about right to me...

"a Windows 8/8.1/10 install"

I suspect you mean installation.

Silver badge
Holmes

Re: I'm confused @Michael habel

I bet are happy to believe in the Big Bang theory. A Quantum fluctuation that did not annihilate itself a moment after it popped into existence? The technical term for this would be "a fecking miracle". Maybe the Universe willed itself to exist, stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Anonymous Coward

'He' probably never existed, uber pedant.

Silver badge
Happy

Type in:format c:

Uh, only crappy 8bit computers or that very crappy MS-DOS had 8.3 File names.

Amiga computers had 64~128 character file names (I don't remember), that could even be "###~.4.4" ie: "Great Ferrari Card.jpeg"

Macintosh computers, also had long file names.

It wasn't until Windows 95 (1995) - 10+ years after the Amiga and Mac, that they had semi-long file names (in the CMD window, it was back to 8.3) and WindowsXP that MS made a modern mainstream OS for the massess... 15+ years after Mac, Amiga.

Silver badge

"This bit of I-70 has signs saying 'Eagles on Road'. Now that would be something worth seeing."

It's good of them to let you know about another Eagles comeback tour.

Re: I'm confused @Michael habel

Well if you find the Big Bang hard to handle, what about the question of who created God?

Silver badge

This bit of I-70 has signs saying 'Eagles on Road'. Now that would be something worth seeing.

Here in Wales all we're told is that we have Mud on Road.

Not quite the same as those FM Rockers of yours.

Silver badge

I think you will now find, if you look at some real academic researchers, that there is now not much doubt that Jesus did, indeed, exist. What there IS plenty of is doubt about his divinity. I.E. he was just a man like you and I.

I am of the opinion that he did exist. But he was a latter-day Che Guevara, Gandhi, Mandela character with bags of charisma who was eventually put to death by the leaders of his own people who refused to got off their own gravy train and join in.

There's one bloke whom I know is a religious scholar and even though he's deeply religious he's also a military man and he told me how a lot of the bible was mistranslated over the years from the shorthand by those later on who didn't understand military matters.

Intreagued, I asked him to continue. He told me that one of the shorthand for numbering had the letter L for thousand. It was also a short hand for well trained militia. Now, if one considers stories in the Old Testament which had, for example, five thousand soldiers sneaking into opposing towns or whatever then it makes more sense if one considers that it was five well trained soldiers.

Then we get to the sermon the mount. Taken literally having fed the five thousand with a few loaves of bread and a couple of fishes is clearly impossible. Okay, it's seen as a miracle in the bible but let's consider that these five thousand were five members of the Roman forces with whom Jesus met and talked with bringing with him five loaves and two fishes and it now makes sense. But where was the miracle here? Well, consider this a meeting such as we had here in the UK to get the Good Friday treatment going in which Mo Molem received lots of accolades for doing "the impossible". In short, a miracle.

And this is what I believed happened.

Of course your view may and most certainly will vary on this one.

was that 'Bok' short for Borked or Broke/Broken?

Or somebody's (nick)name?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

@BongoJoe: Re: I'm confused

Bongo,

thanks for that, most interesting (from my very non-religious, but curious standpoint)...

Cheers,

J

I was taught (in USAF programming school) that an "application" or "app" was a group of programs brought together to perform a series of tasks centered around a common function. By that definition, most apps are not apps, simply programs.

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Eagles on road

I suppose it must have crashed while on a day trip to the moon.

http://www.scifiairshow.com/ships-eagle4.html

Silver badge

Having grown up in a medical family, I know that an "application" is like a cream or an ointment, except that it's to treat infections that are not mentioned in polite company.

Anonymous Coward

Jesus would use Apple

Depends on how you define "He". I'm sure lots of chaps were born in 6BCE and some probably called Jesus.

Not quite sure I'd go for one of them being son-of-god, though. (Pedantry overload!)

... and if you don't really believe the bible to have any literal truth all this is as relevant as dating things relative to Harry Potter's birth.

> Yeah it kinda figures that even the Church can't work out what the dates are...

Theologians exist largely to count angels and justify fairly obvious discrepancies that were introduced but can't be corrected.

What's important for dates: solar or lunar calendar? Let's have both (Christmas, Easter respectively). Creation story? Let's have two in Genesis within a few lines. Commandments? Yes, ten please. Although there's more than one list and they're not exactly the same. And there's more than ten, too.

Don't like gay people? Justify that nonsense on the old testament. And ignore lots of other stuff that's just as explicitly prohibited but less convenient. (Gay: no; shellfish: don't care; mixed fabrics: don't care; blatant hypocrisy: don't care, obviously.).

Anonymous Coward

Perhaps he was not the Messiah, but just a very naughty boy!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017