back to article Turkey president: Nuts to 4G networks, we're cutting straight to 5G

Turkey's president Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that as Turkey doesn’t have 4G yet, the country might as well wait a couple of years and go straight to 5G. This is a pretty bold move given that we don’t even know what 5G is yet – although there are expected to be some announcements from the ITU in June. Most countries are …

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

We have the roadmap

I remember all the US telcos saying over a decade ago they'd skip consumer copper upgrades and go straight to fiber optics. Well, half of that plan was implemented flawlessly.

1. Anonymous Coward
  2. Chris Miller

I see your 5G

and raise you 6G.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: I see your 5G

and raise you 6G.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan: The numbers all go to five. Look, right across the board, five, five, five and...

Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most mobiles go up to four?

Recep Tayyip Erdogan: Exactly.

Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?

Recep Tayyip Erdogan: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not four. You see, most blokes, you know, will be talking at four. You're on four here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on four on your mobile. Where can you go from there? Where?

3. Mage Silver badge
    Alert

5G isn't new Radios

5G is more about interworking and management. Not really about a new RF modulation scheme as 1G (analogue) 2G (CDMA 1.25MHz channels and GSM 200kHz channels), 3G (pathetically really CDMA-1 on 5MHz Steriods) and 4G (OFDMA and 5, 10 or 20MHz Channels).

4. James 51

No chance it's just an attempt to gloss over a lack of investment?

5. PNGuinn
    Flame

Common Sense

Sounds like common sense to me. For crying out loud - its only 5 years to 2020.

If Turkey's anything like the UK 2G will be patchy at best in the sticks (of course it's S_U _P_E_R_B in the cities as any fule kno...[joke alert]) and as for 3G - no hope of reliable coverage for yonks yet. So the UK's answer - sell off loads of spectrum and waste it on an obsolescent system, which will have to be kept going for ages for legacy users. So we will have both 3G and 4G with lousy coverage and throughput, and the punter paying for the wasted deployment, auction tax and new shiny.

Of course there's plenty of spectrum available for all this - grows on trees you know.

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

What does LTE stand for again?

I thought it was Long Term Evolution. But now I think it was just a marketing term because fuck if I know.

1. Neil Alexander

Re: What does LTE stand for again?

Yes, indeed. There is certainly plenty of room to grow in terms of LTE air interfaces (I think it is scoped up to 300mbps?) and I would expect that most operators probably struggle to even get a single 300mbps backbone pipe to each 4G base station, let alone 10Gbps.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

TIP TOP

They way things are going, when the time comes, they will install it, wait a month, then ISIS will tear it down again.

1. Bleu

Re: TIP TOP

Not a month, but the youngest of commenters in many places in Europe will likely live to see something like you say. The sad and the stupid.

8. Trollslayer

Good luck Turkey

You need it.

9. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Really...

Really.. if the networks there have enough 3G capacity to keep speeds up and the 3G is running well, then skipping 4G would in fact make sense. T-Mo here in the US never got around to upgrading a lot of their rural network from 2G (often even GPRS rather than at least EDGE) and now are directly overlaying 4G LTE in these areas (so they will be 2G+LTE, no 3G), skipping a gen does make sense at times.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Really...

That's because 4G addresses the issues that made it difficult to get decent 3G coverage in rural areas.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like