back to article Telstra offers six explanations for its dud Netflix rating

Telstra has come up with six reasons for Netflix's rating of it as the worst-performing broadband network in Australia. In a rambling post Telstra's networks group managing director Mike Wright offers a bunch of mitigating factors that Vulture South thinks constitute six arguments: Netflix doesn't compare like for like, so …

1. Medixstiff

What do people expect?

Everyone was pointing out to NBN Co. when it was all first started, that Telstra's reporting was on line quality for voice, so it didn't matter how much crackling or hissing you heard, if you could hear a voice on the line, you had a working service.

Whereas much better line quality was needed for data, hence why replacing the aging copper with fiber as part of the original FTTP roll out, was the better option in the long run.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: What do people expect?

I think they're planning to replace the copper with runs of wet string…

3. MrDamage

Don't forget the 2 tin cans

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

but metal prices these dasy is sooo expensive, they have to. just wet string should be enough ya'hear ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a fair copper

Let's all jump on the bandwidth!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm one of the lucky customers only 1.5km from the exchange and on 80 year old shit copper. Only 5 major faults in 12 months. After the second last fault my line speed rocketed to never before seen 10Mbps. Unfortunately that only lasted 3 weeks before another fault dropped it down to 2.5-3Mbps. I'm told with all sincerity that this is good and I should be happy because the spec is 1.5Mbps minimum speed and if it is not below that, then it's just rosy from their point of view. Lucky for me I know I only need to wait for it to rain some for the pit to flood before the next fault. Telstra... that's why your network is crap. Investing heavily? I'd like to know where.

7. iMhere

Give'm a break

OK, so I'm not a Telstra luva, but I use them and they are OK. Pricey, but over all best out of a bad bunch.

I should move back to Geelong and return to Neighbourhood cable, was getting 50MBs down and it worked. Living in the big smoke seems to be a disadvantage...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Give'm a break

Not a bad bunch until you spend 3 hours dealing with their helplessdesk.

9. Mi Tasol

Re: Give'm a break

I was on Telstra for four months. EVERY account was wrong. The first by $240, second by $90, third was so complex with no opening balance, previous charges, amount paid, new fees, charges, credits and reimbursements that only the threat to send it to the Telecom ombudsman got it sorted. Cant remember error in fourth bill but paying $300 to get out of the !@#$%s contract was more than worth the time I would have wasted if I had stayed with them.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a Telstra, fan, quite the reverse, they will be first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

But up here in the territories its them or nothing.

Drive out of darwin and the other mobile networks drop out. No ones unbundled here so you might as well be on Telstra, your mobile will work and tesltra god rot 'em take even less notice of non Telstra customers than their own.

So yes I will accept they have more victims, sorry, customers, hanging on two cans and a bit of string in the middle of nowhere.

12. DanielR

Telstra's SLA is Foxtel and voice first only. They couldn't give a damn about internet let alone fixing a downed connection in a timely manner, more like expect weeks downtime. Why else are people stuck on dialup technology and copper ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018