back to article Microsoft's run Azure on Nano server since late 2013

Microsoft's only just announced its new Nano server, but has been using it in production on Azure since late 2013. So says D. Britton Johnston, CTO for Microsoft Worldwide Incubation, with whom The Reg chatted over the weekend. “Britt”, as he's known, said Microsoft started to use a very slimmed-down version of Windows server …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Azure

Was supposed to use Hyper-V Server which is a minimal hypervisor layer, and not a cut down version of Windows...

1. Nate Amsden

Re: Azure

they probably mean a lot of the VMs in azure for internal MS stuff that run on hyper-v use the nano stuff.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Well, well

"Cloud-first, it seems, only gets you so far on-premises."

So you really need to use Azure?

Colour me surprised.

1. JLV

Re: Well, well

>Colour me surprised.

or blue.

3. Benjol
    Headmaster

"Microsoft's tweaked Nano server"

Had to read that several times in order to convince myself that you probably meant:

"Microsoft has tweaked Nano server"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah, the joys of English grammar.

4. John Sanders
    Windows

"""But Britt said that running the server on Azure has also taught Microsoft that what works in the cloud wont work on-premises. In Azure bit barns, he explained, Microsoft just shifts workloads to another server in the case of any hardware glitch. While businesses will build some redundancy into their systems, Microsoft's tweaked Nano server and the Cloud Platform System converged hardware rigs it announced last year to recognise that businesses can't just throw hardware at a problem."""

Well done Microsoft, you have discovered that people in-house run a variety of workloads that do not correlate or have an equivalent to an ISP's workloads.

One can only hope that in the process they have also discovered that for them anything redundancy oriented is cheaper as licensing does not cost them a dime nor effort.

Am I the only one who thinks that MS wants to hyper-converge everybody into what they see as their next cash cow and they do not know how to make it look cooler?

How long once they begin making windows more expensive if you run on someone else's platform?

So many questions...

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

You're not to talk about the elephant in the room. It gives fanpersons sads.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like