back to article BlackBerry Leap: Touching biz users with a budget(ish) device

The Leap is the first full-touch device BlackBerry has released in 18 months, and only the third to be released in developed markets. It’s also the cheapest, with the BlackBerry UK store listing it at £199 including VAT. BlackBerry Leap Fleeting gesture: BlackBerry Leap So at first glance, the Leap promises to be a 2015 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have one. Things noticed since I received it.

Notification lights - can set colours to indicate different things.

Battery life is easy to achieve a couple of days of light use with 4 push accounts and charges from less than 10% to full in a couple of hours.

Amazon App store - sometimes this seems a little flakey. Some Android apps work very well. ie Fing and Netflix, whereas others don't, ie WiFi Analyzer which shows no wifi.

When using the Kindle app from the BB store - remember to set brightness you use two fingers on the screen, going down and up for brightness control. It doesn't actually tell you this anywhere but is a major requirement in my book. (ha, book...)

I do have Netflix on it, but couldn't work out how I got it there since I can't find it in the store any more.

Music player plays most things, though I have had some playback issues when listening to something when browsing, sometimes it stops the music playing, think this has something to do with media on some multimedia adverts on some times.

Browser is ok. Some sites are atrocious, Grauniad, but then some are as quick as anything else.

Screen is nice.

Camera is ok. The colour rendition isn't as nice as the less MP Zeiss on the 735, but it is better than the Moto G.

1. FartingHippo
      Boffin

Grauniad

Browser is ok. Some sites are atrocious, Grauniad, but ...

That's not the browser.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Grauniad

Actually, I should stipulate that it is pretty bad on desktop browsers too.

Not as bad as the new news.bbc one though....*shudders*. That makes the great Register change of '14 look like a default font alteration.

2. ZSn

windows phone 8.1

The grauniad is also dog slow on a lumia 925. I think that their site is the problem as when it's loaded into firefox on linux it also slows that down. What a surprise, a site that can't spell also can't code.

1. James Cane

Re: windows phone 8.1

The Reg generally spells well but, if the commenting system is any measure, has even worse code.

2. James 51

If it had a removable battery it would be interesting but I'd probably spend the extra £50 and get a Z30. Still aa nice little handset.

3. Vince

I must confess that this is a device that interests me, not as a standard device (I already own the BlackBerry Passport and love it), but I'm considering issuing a couple staff with the leap since they're reasonably priced and there's a good chance one person in particular will return it trashed in no time.

BlackBerry 10 is pretty damn good if you're not totally obsessed with apps and pretending it's a big deal to have trivial features.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

"BlackBerry 10 is pretty damn good if you're not totally obsessed with apps..."

On a Smartphone, the OS is primarily used to access apps.

"Buds Buffet Restaurant is pretty darn good if you're not totally obsessed with food."

Blackberry App World (of disappointment).

4. James Cane

VAT

George doesn't pocket anything like 20% unless BlackBerry have the worst VAT accountants in the corporate world.

5. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"...triangulating against cell masts."

We need a different word as it must be based on distances and intersecting circles.

Not angles and intersecting lines forming triangles.

'Circleulating'?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like