back to article Why Box and not SharePoint? 'Everybody doesn't hate us' says Box engineering veep

Box announced a Developer Edition of its cloudy storage service at its developer conference in San Francisco this week. The name is misleading. This is not an edition for test and development, but rather a new type of Box account that lets you provision users within your application. The application calls the Box REST API to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

+1 for hating sharepoint

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Why Box and not SharePoint?"

Nope, can't think of a reason. SharePoint does more, just works and integrates directly with AD, Office and Lync, and it has an on premise option.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

+1*10*10 for hating Sharepoint.

It is the biggest steaming pile of Elephant Dung in the world.

Ok, Microsoft fans do your worst with the downvotes!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Downvote

Your post was uninteresting and devoid of information or even humour. One-upping the first poster with Elephantidae faeces? Are you 9 or something?

Your post is just asking for upvotes from MS/Sharepoint haters, not the downvotes.

2. Steve Aubrey

1 squared is one. 1 to the tenth power is one. One to the hundredth or googolth power is still one.

You had your upvote for the OP. It's over.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It is the biggest steaming pile of Elephant Dung in the world."

It is also by far the best tool of it's type out there - hence why so many large corporates use it.

3. h3

I hate box.

I got 50GB lifetime from them as an advertised feature of some product but it is totally gimped how it can be used to be worthless.

(Don't care about the practicalities for them or anything else it is a scummy business tactic).

1. Cliff

Re: I hate box.

Similar experience, 50GB was good, but then being basically unable to use it with anything like the ease of any of the other systems has made it useless. As I recall, they wanted to charge for sync as an add-on, otherwise the storage was just an upload through a webpage kind of affair (or something like that). Maybe that's all changed, bit it was the point they lost me as an interested party. Copy.com from Barracuda works well if anyone wants an alterative, and has free extra storage for referrals.

TIDAL of the storage world, I suspect.

1. James R Grinter

it changed quite a while ago, "Box Sync" can synchronise to a local drive automatically. You still have to configure the top level Box-side folders that will synchronise though and, like Dropbox, it has strong opinions on where it will put those files.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Ironically then, I hate Box because of ( how they implemented) that sync tool.

I had it installed on my home PC in my log-in.

My missus has her own log-in to same machine.

But Box sync insisted on popping up every time she used the computer.

Because it automatically installs as an autostart registry item, for all users. With no options.

I temporarily solved the problem by removing it from the registry and putting it in my start-up folder instead.

But every few days there'd be a minor update, and it would use the opportunity to load itself back in to the registry again.

Cue earache from herself.

Eventually I just gave up. And dumped it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Having both Box and Sharepoint rammed down my throat

Box is soso. Sharepoint is just fucking horrible

5. Hollerith 1

Sharepoint -- boo ya

I have turned down jobs because Sharepoint was waiting for me if I joined. When I see Sharepoint on the menu, I know there's a CIO who sees it as an easy win -- and who cares for the users of the dam' thing. 'It comes bundled' I actually heard a CIO say to me. £4m of development thrown down that black hole later, the CFO was unamused.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SaaS Bubble

We must be getting close to the SaaS Bubble point of bursting. The point in which end users see the pitfalls of the cloud & businesses that sell the Cloud realise that customers don't want rent-only plans.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: SaaS Bubble

At least if you are using a synced-to-the-cloud system and the supplier goes off line one day forever, you still have a local copy of your data.

7. Chressers

My company uses Box and everybody hates it. Box Sync seems to cause nothing but issues, and the structure is too malleable.

We need a third option.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon