back to article Facebook invents Caller ID ... say Hello to today's staggering technology

Facebook has released a smartphone app called Hello that matches the numbers of incoming calls to friends and businesses on the social network, and displays them on-screen, giving you a slightly better idea of who's calling if you can't recognize the digits. It's otherwise known as Caller ID, and the tech fashion press is …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Caller ID by Google anyone?

It works quite well for me with the advantage of no FB app on my phone.

The downside is I'm Google's bitch. But hey, whatcha gonna do?

Tin-foil hat mode cuts you off from the world these days...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Caller ID by Google anyone?

"But hey, whatcha gonna do?"

Not use either?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow......great news.........By the way has anyone seen my keys?

3. Sebastian A

Since caller ID on traditional voice calls is opt-out (IE you can usually enter a code before dialling to not show your number), is there a similar feature for this?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, do exactly the same thing

(body)

2. Tromos

@Sebastian A

If there is a similar feature, I hope there is also a feature to automatically reject ID withheld calls that some phones have.

1. James 100

Re: @Sebastian A

Sadly, UK mobile companies have managed to get away with ignoring the requirement to provide that facility, so far - and the landline companies charge a premium for it, despite the nuisance-call-enabling facility being free. (Also, they only reject the call with a recorded message - they don't divert it to voicemail, and they still let "number unavailable" calls through.)

At some point soon, I'm going to programme my Asterisk setup to send all anonymous calls to voicemail. I only know one person who makes calls using that "feature", plus a great many persistent spammers and a few businesses; if more of us blocked anonymous calls, the latter would disappear and make the block even more useful.

3. MrDamage Silver badge

Similar Feature

Yep. It's called "Don't give Facebook your bloody phone number".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Similar Feature

Yep. It's called "Don't Facebook"

ftfy

...but doesn't it still mean you have to keep everyone else from booking face, as well? Don't you have to install^H^H^H^H^Hflict some kind of interpersonal madness that says "Just don't tell FB anything about me, kthx"?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Similar Feature

Yep. It's called "Don't give Facebook your bloody phone number".

As long as you have given any of your friends your number, it only takes ONE of them to use WhatsApp and they already have your number. They have been using that gaping hole in Data Protection laws for years (they only have to ask you for your permission if they get your data off you, but not if they get it off your friends).

In addition, there have been plenty people lured into the "security question" scam that both Google and FaceBook have been running where they ask for your phone number to "better secure your account". Yeah, right.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Annual check list:

Don't have a smart phone: check

Don't have Facebook: check

Don't use Social Media: check

Don't exist on the Internet: check (as far as I can tell)

Don't get many phone calls: check

Don't have many friends: check

All good!

5. JimmyPage Silver badge
    WTF?

er .... is it just me ?

My (Windows) phone does this *already*. Without Facebook. Not that I was that impressed with the feature seeing as all my phones going back to at least 2009 (Nokia 5800) have also had this feature.

Maybe Facebook could work on a "feature" so that if the person being called is busy, the person calling hears some sort of "busy tone" to let them know to try again later.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: er .... is it just me ?

I think the idea is to pull up their Facebook page when someone calls. Not only does that assist telcos with burning through your data allowance quicker, it would also make sure that any last minute pictures get the airing they deserve.

It's quite an interesting idea, actually. Push some dodgy images into someone's feed just before a meeting and then spoof their number calling up their boss (not that hard with a VoIP setup). Maybe that's the reason why - setting up some entrapment scams for detractors?

6. Martin Summers Silver badge

Apple

Wow Facebook got there before Apple. Someone somewhere in Cupertino is head in hands awaiting a roasting.

7. phil dude
    Boffin

trucaller...

I have used it on Symbian and now Android and it seems to work "OK".

What really helps is everytime I get a "missed call" , "hangup" or unknown number I add it to a special contact "SCAM CALLER". A very popular fellow. But the trucaller app has a "block" button. My tip for everyone, if you get an unsolicited call stay silent. The robocallers are listening for live numbers.

My DSL line has a FAX on it.

P.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like