back to article EMEA PC market circling rim, headed for U-bend plunge

The EMEA PC market - more precisely shipments into distributors and retailers - is shrinking again due to political upheaval in the region, the currency meltdown and the end of the XP factor. According to beanshufflers at IDC, 20.2 million boxes were flung into sales channels during the first three months of 2015, equating to …

1. Chronos

Growth

It can't be perpetual. Not only are there hardly any compelling reasons to upgrade, I suspect consumers at least are getting sick of doing so. That includes the OS.

Actually, make that particularly the OS. Adverts in apps for a desktop operating system? Really?

1. Daniel B.

Re: Growth

Windows 8 probably did a better job of killing off PC sales worldwide than any other attempt ever. Windows 10 is hardly the anti-Windows 8 they've been touting, so I doubt they'll rebound.

2. All names Taken
    Alien

Shame?

It is a shame Mr Gates had left MS when personal portable computers that could make phone calls (tablets n phablets) became widespread.

It is another shame that quality (I mean quality) tv, video and movies were widespreadly internetted after Mr Gates stepped down.

(I think it was one of his aims soon after Windows 95?)

3. Siv

Could it not be that people are waiting on Windows 10's release rather than decline in PC sales. Also factor in that as each successive release of Windows seems to require less horsepower and a generally depressed economy is it any wonder PC sales are down when money's tight you mend and make do!

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

"Could it not be that people are waiting on Windows 10's release"

Consumers:

Unlikely since Windows 10 is coming to the computers regardless if people buy the computers now or whenever Win10 is released. The "Joe Sixpacks" out there are not even aware of the Windows 10.

Business:

Few small shops may wait for it just to standardize into something else than Windows 7 (all support ends in less than 5 years from now), or Windows 8.1 (many people dislike it).

AFAIK, Win10 will be free upgrade also to businesses that are using OEM versions of Windows Pro for the first year so the computers can be bought now if necessary and upgraded later though it may be inconvenient for some.

ERPs, VPNs, drivers and other software may need updates to work with Win10 and usually it takes at least months (or even years) to get certification for the latest Windows version.

"Also factor in that as each successive release of Windows seems to require less horsepower and a generally depressed economy is it any wonder PC sales are down when money's tight you mend and make do!"

I agree. Also, a 5-year-old Intel i5 isn't noticeably slower in general usage than the latest i5 CPU's - AES-NI does make a noticeable difference but to how many people? Just replace the HDD with an SSD and that's it. For many people even a 64GB or 128GB drive is more than enough and the cost of upgrade is minimal.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 Shipping this year?

It must be Microsoft and its Press & Marketing, that still believe Windows 10 will ship this year.

Windows 10 still needs serious work, Microsoft would be better releasing the current build (ish) as Windows 8.2 (Windows 8.1 Update 2) , its that bad.

MS really don't want to destroy the Windows Branding twice in a row.

MS can't even decide on the Recycle Bin Icon at this late stage, and they think its going to get released in the Summer? Seriously shoddy at the moment. Running Build 10049.

It the U-Bend inverted, Windows 10 peaked at its first technical preview, downhill ever since. A Windows 7 Service Pack 2, with Windows 10 File Explorer, could be a winner though.

Universal Apps on the desktop? I have an iPad for apps, too much app investment to jump ship.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: MS can't even decide on the Recycle Bin Icon at this late stage

Well, if fundamental architectural decisions like that haven't been made yet they're fucked.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like