back to article Four boggling websites we found hidden in the BitTorrent network using the Maelstrom browser

BitTorrent has released its Maelstrom combo-browser to all as a beta release. Maelstrom merges the open-source Chromium web browser with a BitTorrent client, so you can fetch and render regular webpages on the internet, and download movies Game of Thrones music Linux ISOs stuff from the BitTorrent file-sharing network, all …

1. Cliff

Waiting for the Bong review

Steve Bong often has useful insights into how emerging tech will change our lives, be good to see his thoughts.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you listen very carefully.....

...you can hear already outdated laws becoming even more archaic.

The data-nazis won't like this.

3. Elmer Phud

'Normal Web'

says part of the caption for a picture

My 'normal web' does not have half the screen taken up by two ads for HP stuff.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Freenet / Entropy

This sounds nearly identical to the model implemented by the Freenet and Entropy distributed hash table networks. The main difference is that in Freenet and Entropy the data shards are encrypted at rest and cannot be viewed without the appropriate key.

1. Suricou Raven

Re: Freenet / Entropy

The level of indirection needed to ensure users cannot be tracked also comes with a considerable performance penalty: They are rather slow.

5. Mr Templedene

Opera has, or had, a bit torrent client built in. Linux version still does.

Of course that meant that talk talk used to block it every now and then when they wanted to annoy me.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...looking to share our vision of how the Internet can work"

The vision of ridiculous over-the-top advertising is already working on the internet. Why don't they show us how the internet isn't going to collapse if they don't hammer ads in your face.

I miss pop-ups.

7. Crazy Operations Guy

Am I the only one

Am I the only one that upon first seeing this idea thought "Oh crap, yet another platform for malware to spread..."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon