back to article Hilton member accounts info, trip dates open to plunder

A pair of security researchers have found a basic flaw that allows anyone to steal email and home address information, trip data, and spend points of Hilton Worldwide "HHonors" loyalty club members. The cross-site request forgery is tied to a password reset initiative the company launched offering 1000 points to those who took …

1. thomas k.

Deja vu?

I remember reading about this several months ago - HHonors hacked, with the miscreants using the pilfered points to purchase gift cards and merchandise from the Hilton store - and thinking it odd, typical, craven (you pick) that no memo was sent out with advice on how to respond to guests' possible questions regarding the situation.

Is this a new attack or just a rehash of that incident? Or am I psychic and was seeing into the future?

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Deja vu?

The original attack took place and was referenced in the article. Hilton sent out notification to their customers* that they should change their passwords. This is a kick-em-while-they're-down attack.

*Some but not all of their customers got this notification. I didn't get anything even though I have an HHonors account. Nor have they ever sent out any sort of notice to me that they had been hacked. So it seems it was only for a subset of their members, which is a telling indication of their current security practices.

1. thomas k.

Re: Deja vu?

Ah, referenced in a linked article. I scanned the article a couple of times looking for dates and didn't see any and missed that link. Thanks.

Guess that means I'm not psychic, though. :(

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Hilton has honor?

Who knew?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hilton has honor?

She offered her honor, he honored her offer, and all through the night he was honor and offer.

3. Red Five

More problems...?

Don't know if related to the attack but I've just been sent the complete Hilton booking itinerary for a Mr Knipps..maybe I should change my name and travel the world..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like