back to article OK, they're not ROBOT BUTLERS, but Internet of Home 'Things' are getting smarter

The emergence of the Internet of Things has analysts in a froth predicting that by 2020 homes will be awash with clever connected appliances. We’re not talking tablets and TVs here, but the brave new world of white goods, where manufacturers are battling it out to smarten up our cooking, cleaning and security systems. So how …

Page:

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

"Why anyone would ever want 22 different wash cycles or more is another matter."

Well, for example, as anyone who's ever owned a Zanussi washing machine will attest, they're well made and long lasting. However, Italian water must have magical powers, because Zanussis fail to rinse thoroughly in the UK. Nowadays they come with a "super rinse" button to add extra rinse cycles, but it's hardly fine tuning. I want a fully consumer programmable washing machine, so that I choose exactly which stages are run and for how long. I want far more than 22 wash programs, I want an infinitely variable wash program. I'd like to discover for myself whether it's possible to devise a washing program for mucky cycle shoes that doesn't wreck them.

Dyeing fabrics would become much more convenient with a programmable washing machine. Although you can dye some items in a washing machine, the cycle lengths aren't suitable for many combinations of dye and fabric types. (If you've ever done home dyeing in open containers, you'll appreciate having the whole process confined in a self cleaning apparatus.)

Other fabric treatments, such as "wash in" water repellent treatments could also be improved - the treatment manufacturer might provide a downloadable program.

With the ability to turn off churning and precise temperature selection, you might even use your washing machine for water bath cooking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Why anyone would ever want 22 different wash cycles or more is another matter."

Tried several programme settings on my new washing machine before deciding that number "1" was all that was needed for my wash load - usually once every couple of weeks.

However recently the "spin and empty" setting has become essential. In between washes the drum now has a visible filling of water after a few days - and the programme insists on taking 15 minutes to empty it even though there are no clothes to spin.

The machine is just coming to the end of its 12 month guarantee. With threats of £100 charge if an engineer can not see a fault it is a tricky one to report. Switching off the electricity at the isolator switch appeared to stop it happening - but more tests are needed to be conclusive. The machine itself has a only an automatic "hibernation" mode - and no mechanical "on/off" switch.

The joke is that a feature of the machine is an "anti-flood" mechanism that is supposed to prevent such catastrophes. In the past 40 years none of my washing machines have had that problem.

It reminds me of the notice on my desk in the office "Every solution breeds a new calamity".

2. Schultz

Re: "Why anyone would ever want 22 different wash cycles or more is another matter."

I expect that a smart washing machine allows me to play dumb. Why should I waste time thinking about the duration of the rinse cycle if the machine should be able to figure it out without me? After all, it contains all those smart sensors and can make decisions based on the full engineering brainpower of the manufacturer.

I love our LG machine that allows me to fill a 19 kg drum with a few briefs and it'll figure out how much water and time it needs without me second guessing it. That's what I call progress!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"[...] it'll figure out how much water and time it needs [...]"

Just for curiosity - does it also measure out the detergent to match the amount of water?

1. fruitoftheloon
          Thumb Up

@AC: Re: "Why anyone would ever want 22 different wash cycles or more is another matter."

AC (does it measure the detergent...?)

Our 5 year old Siemens weighs the load like many modern machines, it then tells you what % to fill the typical detergent 'cup' with, which whilst an obvious feature is also useful methinks...

Cheers,

jay

2. MrT

Smarter may not necessarily be better...

... if IoT focuses on the wrong outcome.

"One of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation creations is the NutriMatic Drink Dispenser. One of which has just provided Arthur Dent with a plastic cup filled with a liquid which is almost - but not quite - entirely unlike tea.

[NutriMatic dispenser noises]

ARTHUR:

Ah. [Takes a sip] Yeugh!! [Spits out liquid]

NARRATOR:

The way it works is very interesting. When the ‘Drink’ button is pressed it makes an instant, but highly-detailed, examination of the subject’s taste buds, a spectroscopic analysis of the subject’s metabolism, and then sends tiny experimental signals down the neural pathways to the taste centres of the subject’s brain, to see what is likely to be well received. However, no one knows quite why it does this, because it then invariably delivers a cup-full of liquid that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Smarter may not necessarily be better...

Would you like some fabric softener in your tea?

1. David Pollard

Fabric softener?

Anything to get rid of the taste of cycle shoes.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

All your pizzas are ours

You freezer has just been switched to defrost and all the controls disabled for 24 hours.

Normal operation will be restored on payment of {$CURRENCY UNITS}25. We think you'll find this represents good value for money as our estimate of the value of the freezer's current contents is at least 4 times this.

You can use the following link to make your payment.

1. Infernoz Bronze badge

Re: All your pizzas are ours

Indeed, scenarios like this /will/ happen if the security is not properly sorted out /now/, including pre-planned support for later firmware/hardware updates for improving security. This is why I'm loath to buy much IoT kit currently, especially anything which needs a dedicated internet server to be usable.

My internet enabled weather station is my only IoT device and locked down by my router firewall from accessing anything but a single weather site on the internet.

Possible exploits for IoT devices may include:

* a central heating system which chills or cooks you, or deliberately wastes energy while you are out.

* a washing machine which is programmed to badly wash or dry your clothes, even ruin them.

* a tumble dryer which is programmed to waste energy, ruin your clothes, cause other damage or a fire.

* a cooking appliance which is programmed to ruin food, waste energy, cause other damage or a fire.

* an internal sensor(s) used or appliance programmes used to detect when the best time is to steal stuff from you or just spy on you for other nefarious reasons.

* an electronic lock(s) which is hacked to let thieves or other nefarious people inside.

* an appliance becomes unusable because your appliance wireless, IoT hub, router or broadband is broken, or had a hacked firmware update..

I'd need a seriously good reason to allow any device which uses UPnP or manually open internet ports, because that could easily become a massive security risk!

1. Eddy Ito

I couldn't agree more. I'd be happy to jump into the Intranet of Things pool which is securely locked down but that the public petri dish that is the Internet of Things, I'll pass even especially if all I have to do is download an app.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@Infernoz

My solution is simpler. I don't buy anything that shouldn't need to go online but wants to.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

You can literally bank on it happening.

4. Nigel Whitfield.

Cheaper power

We keep hearing of these appliances being able to start when the price of electricity is cheaper. But, other than the old 'Economy 7' fixed times, is that really going to come with the roll-out of smart meters?

It essentially means the electricity companies will be publishing, minute by minute, a spot price for their electricity, in response to demand. So far, however, we've seen that they don't even manage to reduce the price for consumers month by month when their own costs fall; forgive me if I'm sceptical about their desire to pass on lower prices.

And, will they pass spot prices, or will they be able to say "low price window for 2 hours" ? What if, for example, there's not a long enough window at a low price for the wash cycle? Does the machine start anyway, and damn the expense at the end (just when, perhaps, it might be doing the drying)? Or does it say "Best wait until there's enough time to do the whole thing cheaply", and leave you to open the door on a load of stinking socks when you were expecting something clean to wear to work?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Cheaper power

Which lies have you heard about your 'free' smart meter?

'It will only cost an extra £20 on your bill.'

'Your bill will only go up by £20 per year.'

'It will only increase you bill by £20 for the fist year, £40 for the second and £60 for the third.'

The staged increases in electricity bills have already been approved to cover the cost and installation of smart meters. There is no requirement that bills should go back down afterwards. I am looking forward to MPs getting an e-mail like this:

I pwn your smart meter. I will let you have power between 12:00 and 13:00. If you want power for a whole month, send me a bitcoin.

5. DainB Bronze badge

This is just stupid

Washing machine - how effing hard is to press a button on damn thing of you still have to go there and put clothes in. And do you really care about application informing when it finished, especially if it's in the middle of the night because electricity is cheaper.

How many times you are going to change lighting in your apartment after you played with app for 15 minutes and tried every single colour and everything in between ? Zero, most likely.

And smart fridge that knows how much beer left ? So what ? Anyone able to afford such fridge would have enough brain cells to estimate when he's going to run out of beer. It's not like beer magically appears in that fridge once you run out of it, and, worse, you still need to go there to get one, presumably in the pause between changing mood lighting, anxiously waiting for washing to stop and constantly adjusting thermostat.

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Re: This is just stupid

Having invented the 'smart fridge' it seems some companies just won't give up on the blasted thing. I suppose having a camera so you can see what's inside is almost an admission that earlier iterations screwed up, because the idea of having to scan everything in and out of your fridge, and thus only ever buying things that had compatible bar codes or RFID tags was clearly bonkers.

At least with a camera you can buy what the hell you like, and not worry if it's incompatible with the fridge. But still, meh...

1. DainB Bronze badge

I cant even imagine how we survived by now without camera in a fridge and not died of starvation because fridge did not create shopping list. Oh, wait, we used our brains, something that manufacturers seems do not want us to do anymore.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Don't worry - The Internet of Brains is up next.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I clicked on Internet of Brains but nothing happened.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

The fridge could place an automatic online order to restock items when they run out.

Reminds me of a supermarket whose local stock ordering system was down for on a day or so. No problem - the main warehouse system had a contingency that would use the historical sales records to maintain deliveries.

The delivery arrived - and there were vast quantities of lemons. The historical re-stocking had included Shrove Tuesday.

2. Eddy Ito

@TheOtherHobbes

The Internet of Brains won't last long because the Internet of Zombies is already here to eat it.

2. Mark 85

They want that wonderful profit. Use your brain to sort out the shopping list and their profit may go down because you won't buy their product on your next shopping venture.

2. Not also known as SC

At least we'll know if the light really goes off when you close the door.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I suppose having a camera so you can see what's inside"

But just think of the advantage. You'll be able to check that the light actually does go off.

1. frank ly

"... check that the light actually does go off."

That's what small children are for. If you don't have one, borrow one.

2. VinceH

With a camera in the fridge...

"You'll be able to check that the light actually does go off."

No, you won't! It's a con!

The light will have to come on whenever you access the image from the camera - at least, that's what they'll tell you - so you still won't truly know if the light goes out, and instead have to continue taking it on faith*.

* All hail the holy instruction manual, for it doth decree that the light comes on for thee. Or something.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: With a camera in the fridge...

"The light will have to come on whenever you access the image from the camera - at least, that's what they'll tell you - so you still won't truly know if the light goes out, and instead have to continue taking it on faith"

In Schroedinger's fridge the light is both off and on.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: With a camera in the fridge...

Don't forget that you'll be able to prove it wasn't the cat that drank all the milk, but little Timmy...

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. nematoad
        Stop

"Having invented the 'smart fridge' it seems some companies just won't give up on the blasted thing."

You're right. This whole affair smacks of being a solution in search of a problem.

As others here have said if you have to go to the fridge anyway to collect your beer how hard is it to see how ,many are left? Assuming of course that you have not consumed so many as to be unable to focus.

And if it's going to be so interconnected and interdependent what happens when something goes wrong. Will all the "smart" appliances shut down?

It is as my granny used to say "A catch-penny." Much like the LP, CD, download churn that has proven to be a nice little earner for the record companies.

No thanks.

6. Allan George Dyer

"scan everything in and out of your fridge, and thus only ever buying things that had compatible bar codes"

"Run down to the butcher, we've run out of zebra meat again!"

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Anyone able to afford such fridge would have enough brain cells to estimate when he's going to run out of beer."

Given enough beer he might have run out of brain cells.

3. BongoJoe

Frankly, the idea of putting beer in the fridge disturbs me.

4. Infernoz Bronze badge

My new Bosch one (from John Lewis) saves a lot of water and power, has load of programmes (including /fast/ ones), lots of options, is piss easy to operate, quiet, tells you how long a programme will take before you start it, how long it has left to go and beeps when done; all for about £100 less that the LG one, let alone the other rip-offs listed!

The thing which really needs IoT is central heating and cooking kit, but with proper security and a physical heating on/off flip switch.

Most central heating controllers are still stuck in the pathetically archaic single zone model, including most commercial IoT ones, including Nest; mechanical radiator thermostat valves only partly improve on this and need a wasteful fixed bleed radiator to bleed pressure until the central heating water pump stops! We should already be able to easily buy affordable prioritised /each/ room-zoned variable temperature programming using automated radiator valves and radiator water flow sensors, with a smart central WiFi and BlueTooth 4 controller designed to dynamically and safely use any appropriate radiator(s) as a full pressure bleed until the central heating water pump stops.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"mechanical radiator thermostat valves only partly improve on this and need a wasteful fixed bleed radiator to bleed pressure until the central heating water pump stops! "

On my system there is always a bleed path via a radiator in the two rooms with wall thermostats. These are the rooms that need slightly higher temperatures. The radiator circuits only get water if a appropriate thermostat is calling for it. All the other rooms' radiators have mechanical thermostat valves.

However - as a homemade system it is in hindsight a bit too clever by using cascaded signals. One plumber has already claimed that a 3 port motorised valve is EITHER A or B open - my standard Honeywell ones are capable of opening both A and B simultaneously.

My main complaint is that mechanical thermostats seem to have a large hysteresis.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

"Anyone able to afford such fridge would have enough brain cells to estimate when he's going to run out of beer."

I am often surprised, neigh, agonizingly frustrated, at how many people who can afford things like this are incredibly, incredibly stupid outside of their area of expertise.

Money truly does cover up a multitude of sins.

6. Sarah Balfour

I don't get it…

WTF would you need an app to control a washing machine…?! Presumably you'd have been there to shove the load in - and, therefore, set the programme - and you'll be there to remove it, so what's the point of the app…? Unless it comes complete with fully-trained monkey butler (maid?) to do the loading/unloading, then I really can't see the point. Central heating/water/lights I get, that makes sense, as would a remotely-controlled cooker/hob, and maybe even a Roomba - but washing machine/dishwasher (unless you'd simply forgotten to switch the latter on, and realised you didn't have anything clean to eat your probably cremated/not cooked tea off/with).

I can just see one teeny slip - and you'll come back to no house… I have ZERO faith in any of this tech shit actually working. Perhaps we should all just abandon Earth altogether…

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't get it…

" and you'll be there to remove it, so what's the point of the app…?"

It's a question of remembering in time to get it outside to dry in the garden. As a wash cycle takes 3 hours - then that is the morning gone. You need to get it out to dry for the whole afternoon especially in winter.

My current solution is a Hygiplas timer. Quick to set - and unlike mechanical timers it keeps bleeping every second after the end of the period until it is reset. The batteries last for years. However - you have to remember to set it - and you have to double-check that the multi-function button's "bleep" really was the countdown starting. The human is always the weak link.

1. DainB Bronze badge

One would expect that 1700 quid washing machine already has drier built in.

1. BongoJoe

I wouldn't. For two reasons.

If it's nice outside the clothes get dried in the garden. If it's not nice out then the clothes get dried in the drier or on the creel above the fire.

Either way, getting the clothes out of the rather expensive washing machine means then I can get another load done...

2. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Stick it on overnight with timer, built into every machine these days.

Then it's ready before you are.

Not hard.

7. heyrick Silver badge

Count me out

Too many opportunities to spaff data to unknown third parties with little to no oversight, and we all know how lovely and secure these things are...

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Count me out

BIG security risk. And it WILL be hacked.

Just ask that teenager who hacked a BMW for less than $20 of electronic parts.

8. wiggers

Plurality of Protocols

Exactly how many incompatible protocols are mentioned in this article? It's bad enough having apps that only work with minority OSes, but when you are choosing your washing machine according to which flavour of phone you have, or which protocol your fridge uses, it's getting a bit absurd.

1. Mark 85

Re: Plurality of Protocols

Which means that either you're locked into a given phone and OS or.... when the phone dies, you replace all the appliances.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The big problem (and risk) is connectivity

We're a long way away from proper IPv6 deployment, so at the moment all of this will need to work through IPv4. Which means NAT. Which means help from an "outside" server to make all this fun happen. Which means a 3rd party in the path between your washing machine (meh), alarm system (uh oh), home camera system (no frigging way) and fancy remote control door lock (try to get the insurance to pay out when you've had a burglary).

The latter is a clear example that a lot of risk assessment needs to take place before you go near this idea. When you have a mechanical lock, someone needs to be physically there to mess with it. A digital solution can be hacked from any place on the planet and sends details of your absence to whoever has access to it, making it a far less risky exercise to strip your place bare.

On the home security front there is also another issue - wires. If you decide to avoid wires, it takes but a jammer for your cameras to go blind. Do that a couple of times to simulate a system problem, and nobody will as much as twitch when you then get broken in for real.

I do NOT trust any 3rd party to have access or control of my home security. If you set this up and you find you need to "create an account", you're dealing with a platform that I wouldn't trust in teh slightest.

Oh, and as for washing machines - get me one that I can just give a basket of washing. They already have storage to hold washing liquid and softener, but as long as I have to stuff in the washing myself I will also be able to set a timer, and I will know how long it will take - seeing this on remote is not really adding a wow factor in my opinion..

1. VinceH

Re: The big problem (and risk) is connectivity

Amen.

With the security issues we've seen so far, not to mention the potential privacy issues, and the risks that both of these bring, I don't see any incentive to bother with any of this internet of things guff.

As I keep saying, for me it's more of a potential internet of unwanted things: iOUT!

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Murder by IoT:

Sneak into someone's house, perhaps via a flaw in their connected lock. Put very heat sensitive compounds close to their dryer and/or oven. Sneak out, wait until they're asleep (and you're safely alibied) and then crank the oven up to full, the dryer on max, and wait for the chemicals to catch fire. I guess after turning the appliances on, for good measure, you could launch a DDoS on their smoke detector, to knock that out of action.

2. Tom 38

In my opinion, there needs to be two classes of IoT devices, master devices and slave devices. The slave devices provide information and RPC to the master device, which then weaves the information and RPC in to user interfaces and controllable actions.

The user would own both types of devices, the slave devices are cryptographically paired to the master device, and data only passes from slave devices to the master device. The master device can then provide that data to third party internet services based upon the single set of security permissions granted on the master device.

The current form of "smart home" devices are anything but. They are all "slave devices", which pump your data to a central server on the internet, which then makes the "smart" choices. This hides that your personal data (eg, heating information) is then available for the providing entity to mine or analyze how they see fit. Do Not Want.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like