back to article SanDisk flash array launch signals imminent AFA battle

With SanDisk joining the ranks of all-flash array vendors, that makes 15 AFA suppliers I know of: far, far too many for industry stability. There are: Cisco with Invicta currently in hibernation Dell with all-flash Storage Centre EMC with XtremIO and coming DSSD HDS with HAF module in VSP/HUS HGST with Skyera skyHawk HP …

1. Alan Denman

TLC =

Terminally Limited and Cheap

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SanDisk didn't launch a flash array

...they launched a SAS flash shelf, that you could plug a Pure or XtremIO (or whatever) controller into to turn it into an actual storage system.

But +1 for marketing!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SanDisk didn't launch a flash array

It is, but why is that such a bad idea, especially as an OEM product? i can totally see a fit for it in my product lines, if truly available at a good price.

3. Numen

I also had the Fujitsu Eternus DX200F and the Nimbus Gemini F4xx/6xx on my list.

4. NAND_guy

Shouldn't NexGen be on your list as well?

Now we see why Sandisk spun them off--no room at the inn for both them and InfiniFlash.

1. komodo dragon

NexGen does not currently build all-flash arrays.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Intelliflash is not an AFA !

At least not in the list you have. It is a new category. Like hfa , and AFA , we now have a new category of big data AFA . Agree w u on WD/HGST w skyera will go after this same space. SANdisk , HGST are not storage controller companies in any way shape or form compared to EMC, ibm and HDS! WD/HGST , SANdisk are becoming the tape drive/tape library storage companies of this millennium!

If the IDC n gartner forecasts are close to the actual growth of AFA space, then I think you and others are totally wrong about the AFA market in scramble mode or frantic and casualties.! There is plenty of $room for pure, EMC, ibm, netapp, kaminario, Solidfire, and Hds! But agree , that is about it for number of companies to play in this space for the next 3-4 years. But plenty of opportunity and exciting competition , great fun AFA games for next 3-4 yrs and then maybe interesting Super Bowl of AFA in 2020! :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like