back to article Lost WHITE CITY of the MONKEY GOD found after 500 years

In a scene straight from Raiders of the Lost Ark, archaeologists believe they have found the fabled lost White City of the Monkey God in Honduras. Aided by former Special Air Service (SAS) soldiers, the team of scientists uncovered the location in the Mosquitia jungle, along Honduras's eastern coast, over 500 years after the …

Thumb Up

White City of the Monkey God

Best address ever!

Silver badge

Re: White City of the Monkey God

1 Infinite Gloop

White City of the Monkey God

MMOFJ (Miles and Miles of F'ing Jungle)

Honduras

If out, please leave parcel with Mrs Trellis at Number 3.

This post has been deleted by its author

Holmes

Apart from the Gold Monkey...

Anonymous Coward

I imagine Lenny Henry will complain about the name.

Has Mrs Trellis moved from North Wales then?

"...The exact location is not being revealed..."

unless they forgot to turn off the GPS-tagging on their phones...

(http://gizmodo.com/5965295/vice-magazine-just-accidentally-revealed-where-john-mcafee-is-hiding)

Silver badge
Windows

Re: "...The exact location is not being revealed..."

Quote from the article: "Aided by former Special Air Service (SAS) soldiers..."

@Tim: one hopes that covers your concern.

Re: "...The exact location is not being revealed..."

I tried Google maps. My search for "white city of monkey god" got me the Oklahoma State Capitol. I guess that is sort of accurate.

Anonymous Coward

I'm sure it's nice to find.....

a white city of the monkey god, but get back to me when Tao, Zia and Esteban find one of the mysterious cities of gold. Yup, the headline of this story alone got the theme tune into my head....

Re: I'm sure it's nice to find.....

Now I'm humming it,

http://youtu.be/-7x-QhIUlwE

Well unless it's the TV crew of "American Digger" or "Diggers" or another "freelance" team, rip it out the ground & sell it mob, who destroy the archaeology ..

So glad to see I wasn't the only one…

The DVD box set I have even has a recording of Philip Schofield singing the these tune.

WTF?

“ground-truthed"???

You mean they'd actually been there?

Or is that just not cool-sounding enough?

Silver badge

Re: “ground-truthed"???

The ground is an inside job. Obama did it.

Ballmer

I was expecting a Ballmer story actually. Can't think why.

Anonymous Coward

Threepwood!

The researchers escaped the cannibals and left the banana picker in the locked hut, fed the monkey and went to the Great Monkey Head, where they pulled the middle nose on the totem pole. They got the wimpy little idol and returned to the cannibals, retrieved the banana picker and returned it to Herman to get the key. Apparently.

Re: Threepwood!

"How to get ahead when navigating?"

"Hey, this sounds interesting!"

Bronze badge

Look behind you! A three headed monkey!

Silver badge

The prophecy has come true!

Did they happen to find a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle (I've ALWAYS wanted an opportunity to post that!)…?

Thats the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen (I've ALWAYS wanted an opportunity to post that!)

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: Threepwood! "Did they happen to find a rubber chicken..."

Er - why?

Silver badge
Alert

Don't tell Steven Spielberg

He might want to make another Indiana Jones movie.

We don't want another stinker like: "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"

Re: Don't tell Steven Spielberg

Thought it was already in pre-production...

Silver badge

I didn't mind the jungle setting in Crystal Skull. It was the Erich Von Daniken influences that spoilt it for me.... that, and that fridge.

Indiana Jones at the Mountains of Madness, anyone?

Go

Re: Indiana Jones at the Mountains of Madness

I like how you think!

Silver badge
Happy

@Winkypop: Re: Don't tell Steven Spielberg

Winkypop,

I thought the crystal skull Indy film wasn't too terrible, I suspect I may be in a minority hereabouts...

J.

Silver badge
Coat

"Thought it was already in pre-production..."

I think you're getting mixed up with "Gremlins 3 - The Quest for More Money."

"Indiana Jones and the Deadly Miasma of Ennui" isn't due to start filming till next year...

Silver badge
Devil

Re: @Winkypop: Don't tell Steven Spielberg

Towards the end of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I was hoping that the carnivorous ants would reappear, march off camera and the next thing you would see was them dragging Steven Spielberg across the ground and into their anthill....

Silver badge

First comes "Saving Private Fortunes."

Bronze badge

"Gremlins 3 - The Quest for More Money."

See also: Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money.

Primeval rain forest?

I feel National Geographic might need to look up the meaning of "primeval". It can hardly be primeval forest if 500 years ago it was a city.

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: Primeval rain forest?

"I feel National Geographic might need to look up the meaning of "primeval". It can hardly be primeval forest if 500 years ago it was a city."

Yeah...you may have misread that bit...

"The rain forest surrounding the area is so primeval that the animals appear never to have seen humans before, reported the National Geographic."

Plus, for bonus points...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old-growth_forest - Particular extract...

Depending on the forest, this may take anywhere from a century to several millennia. Hardwood forests of the eastern United States can develop old-growth characteristics in one or two generations of trees, or 150–500 years. In British Columbia, Canada, old growth is defined as 120 to 140 years of age in the interior of the province where fire is a frequent and natural occurrence. In British Columbia’s coastal rainforests, old growth is defined as trees more than 250 years, with some trees reaching more than 1,000 years of age. In Australia, eucalypt trees rarely exceed 350 years of age due to frequent fire disturbance.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's wikipedia....

Err, no.

From the NG article "When the images were processed, they revealed unnatural features stretching for more than a mile through the valley. When Fisher analyzed the images, he found that the terrain along the river had been almost entirely reshaped by human hands"

and

"The valley is densely carpeted in a rain forest so primeval that"

The valley has been almost entirely reshaped - it is impossible to do that and retain the primeval forest. It's sloppy writing from the magazine, which is poor when it has run articles in the past about how the Amazonian rain forest was once heavily agricultural in parts.

Also (grammer nazi alert!), use of the style "so primeval" implies one forest can be more primeval than another. It can't. A forest is either 'of the first age' or it is not.

I hope 'grammer' is ironic.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Grammer Nazis are fanatic fans of Kelsey Grammer. They probably want to see Kelsey as the lead in the next Indiana Jones movie....

"I hope 'grammer' is ironic"

If only. Moronic, more like!

bep

"Depending on the forest, this may take anywhere from a century to several millennia. Hardwood forests of the eastern United States can develop old-growth characteristics in one or two generations of trees, or 150–500 years. In British Columbia, Canada, old growth is defined as 120 to 140 years of age in the interior of the province where fire is a frequent and natural occurrence. In British Columbia’s coastal rainforests, old growth is defined as trees more than 250 years, with some trees reaching more than 1,000 years of age. In Australia, eucalypt trees rarely exceed 350 years of age due to frequent fire disturbance.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's wikipedia...."

Well, since we're trusting Wikipedia:

'The Huon Pine is a conifer, endemic to Tasmania, and the only member of the genus Lagarostrobos. It is Australia’s oldest living tree species and one of the oldest |living organisms on earth. Individuals have been known to reach an age of 3,000 years.'

Australia is quite a big place, with quite a few different tree species, not just gum trees.

Silver badge

" In Australia, eucalypt trees rarely exceed 350 years of age due to frequent fire disturbance."

By which they mean "exploded due to bright sunlight".

Australia. So deadly even the trees are bombs.

Silver badge

There are three types of fauna in Australia: Weird, deadly and sheep.

The seasons in Australia are: Flood, pestilence, fire and boredom.

Silver badge

I hope 'grammer' is ironic.

My favourite law is Muphry's law...

Anonymous Coward

They dared to defile the White City of the Monkey God?

I'm outraged!

Kill all the non-believers!

Ring the Daily Mail

Silver badge
Happy

Re: They dared to defile the White City of the Monkey God?

Yeah, but don't forget the Monkey God's Mum (MGM). She is going to go ON and ON and ON to the poor Monkey God:

MGM: "See! I TOLD you to keep your forest tidy! You are ALWAYS losing things in it!"

Monkey God: "But, mum, I ..."

MGM: "I mean, HOW can you lose an entire CITY! This never would have happened to your cousin Kevin!"

Monkey God: "But mum, ..."

MGM: "Just think of what your dad will say when he comes home, and he hears humans have found it for you"

Monkey God: "Yes, but mum, ..."

MGM: "And I bet you haven't said thank you to those nice men from the SAS and National Geographic for finding your city again"

Monkey God: "But,..."

MGM: "Now go to your room and tidy THAT, or it's no human sacrifices for you for the next 500 years!"

Monkey God: "Yes, mum. Alright, mum"

Anonymous Coward

Re: They dared to defile the White City of the Monkey God?

I'm outraged!

Kill all the non-believers!

Ring the Daily Mail

Outrage - fine if you like that sort of thing

Kill all the non believers - well you are entitled to your opinion, its a tad extreme though

Ring the Daily Mail - My God man! Have you lost the plot? That's just a step too far!

Trollface

I always thought...

that White City was in Shepherd's Bush?

Silver badge

Re: I always thought...

Nah, it's in Peru

http://www.peruthisweek.com/travel-visit-the-white-city-of-arequipa-peru-103259

Isn't White City somewhere in South Africa?

Anyway ... you'd think that with expeditions like this, the less they found, the better. If they'd come back from the jungle without having found anything, then that would just prove how lost the city really was.

Heh, there's a lost white walled city in Syria called Al Resafa.

It looks red in the pictures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resafa) but 1500 years of sand blasting by the desert will do that to white walls.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017