back to article Euro ministers trade data for data protection – yes, your passenger records

After weeks of mounting pressure from national governments for increased access to personal data following the Charlie Hebdo attack, the European Parliament has pulled a switch that aims to simultaneously increase citizens’ privacy rights while also giving law enforcement agencies more ability to track travellers. As they …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

What about international flights

I fly to the middle east a lot.

How is the Saudi government supposed to protect me from the IRA if they don't have all my credit card, mobile and web browsing information ?

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: What about international flights

IRA no problem, and look what they've done for road safety keeping all those women off the road.

2. yoganmahew

Already happening?

Several government in the EU already collect some of this data.

The devil, though, is in the detail of what beyond ID data is going to be collected. Special service requests should be off-limits, as far as I am concerned.

Previous/next itinerary data in the current journey may be okay; the 'authorities' will already have previous journeys... mind you, some of the information on the rest of the journey available to an airline is quite limited - if the inbound flight is not a connection/is booked separately, it will not be available to be sent, so in terms of working around it by johnny terrorist, it seems pointless to collect this.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

"like a twisty turny thing..."

You mean like a snake ?

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: "like a twisty turny thing..."

It's a reference to Eddie Izzard, who has used this in various ways. I think the sketch is either called "turney button things" or "they lie to use" - have a look on Youtube.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These data...

...are of course of no interest whatsoever to national tax authorities and not going there at all, right? It's only for policing purposes, right? There are strict terms in the proposal in question prohibiting any "incidental" uses of the data, right?

It's not like some local council was ever going to use RIPA to track school applications after all. Let us not be paranoid.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like