back to article Apple patch shields Macs from Thunderstrike

Apple will mute the Thunderstrike attack in an upcoming OS X patch, according to a report. Beta developers told iMore the OSX 10.10.2 release stops the attack and prevents firmware downgrades which could re-enable the vulnerability on patched machines. The Thunderstrike attack was revealed earlier this month by reverse …

1. cyke1

<sarcasm> Nice to see Apple as fast as possible to release patches for major flaws, while leaving even only few year old versions of their OS open for attack.</sarcasm>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Recent versions of OS X have been available free of charge and are released annually. You can think of them as patches if that makes you feel better.

2. sabroni Silver badge

according to a report.

Not clear from your article, or the linked iMore one, exactly who is claiming that this is fixed. Any chance of a bit of clarity? It doesn't sound like it's Apple saying it's fixed, but both Hudson in your article and Rick Mogull in iMore are quoted from when "Thunderstrike" (cool name!) was discovered, not from after patching. So who are these "beta developers", mentioned in your article but not in iMore?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: according to a report.

Apple developers signed up to the OS X Beta Programme. It doesn't cost you anything to do but it's probably best to let them ruin their computers so you don't have to.

2. Captain Queeg

Good point - i may be mistaken, but IIRC the original report said this wasn't fixable in software/firmware.

So I wonder if that was correct or FUD. I'm not sure 10.10.2 makes things any clearer one way or the other.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Apple developers signed up to the OS X Beta Programme.

Right, so no-one's prepared to put their name to this? Is that becuase of a non-disclosure clause in the Beta programme?

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

> i may be mistaken, but IIRC the original report said this wasn't fixable in software/firmware.

I got the impression that it wasn't fixable after the attack, but it could be prevented from occurring in the first place: "To secure against Thunderstrike, Apple had to change the code to not only prevent the Mac's boot ROM from being replaced, but also to prevent it from being rolled back to a state where the attack would be possible again. According to people with access to the latest beta of OS X 10.10.2 who are familiar with Thunderstrike and how it works, that's exactly the deep, layered process that's been completed."

- http://www.imore.com/thunderstrike-attack-also-fixed-os-x-10102

So it would seem to be a case of putting a better latch on the stable door before the horse has legged it.

3. fearnothing

Technically it is fixable in firmware but to do it you have to crack open the case and hook a physical tool directly onto the pins of the firmware ROM chip. Not for the faint of heart. If you mess up the voltages, e.g. by forgetting to disconnect the battery, you are the owner of a very shiny brick.

3. Matthew 17

Is this an issue for any PC using EFI

or just Apple computers?

1. theblackhand

Re: Is this an issue for any PC using EFI

Only EFI signed with Apple keys will be vulnerable to this particular exploit, but the principle applies to all EFI devices - if someone can get signing keys for other EFI's then the same issue could occur.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Is this an issue for any PC using EFI

The proof-of-concept attack only attacks Macs, but it has never been seen in the wild - it needs the attacker to have physical access to the machine or else use social engineering to trick the user into attacking themselves.

The attack uses Thunderbolt, which is seen comparatively few non-Apple machines - there probably isn't a big enough pool or PC targets for it to worth an attacker's effort. Even on these PCs, "Intel has never allowed [PC] motherboard vendors to hang the Thunderbolt silicon / add-in card off the CPU's PCIe lanes. These have to hang off the platform controller hub (PCH). On the other hand, Apple was allowed to hook up the Thunderbolt silicon directly to the CPU."* so this might prevent a similar attack on generic PCs.

* http://www.anandtech.com/show/8529/idf-2014-where-is-thunderbolt-headed

As a PC user, I wish Thunderbolt was more common. The idea of a thin-n-light laptop plugging into an external GPU+monitor is an attractive one for CAD users- but I appreciate it might be a bit niche when USB 3 and ethernet takes care of most users' data transfer needs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like