back to article Google reveals where AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner Cable will next offer Gbps broadband

Google has named the next four areas in the US to get its gigabit-a-second fiber broadband. The advertising giant said on Tuesday it will next roll out high-speed connections to 18 cities in and around Atlanta, GA; Charlotte, NC; Raleigh-Durham, NC; and Nashville, TN. Charlotte city officials had indicated they were expecting …

1. AsherGoldbergstein

Very clever article title.

2. PleebSmash
    Trollface

insert fiber into me

10/10 headline

3. tempemeaty

Title is truth!

Phoenix, AZ.

Please.

Now.

4. Martin Summers Silver badge

UK

Has Google even considered offering this in the UK? I want it!

1. phil dude
      Coat

Re: UK

you might be surprised to know you can get 1Gbps fibre, if you live in certain parts of london...

But it will not be $100/month , even when currency converted....

P.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: UK

I'd pay $250 a month for gigabit internet. No questions. Currently I am paying $100 a month for 25 down/5 up. $250 a month for gigabit wouldn't even be a question. Hell yes. Google's $70 a month or the UK's $100 a month? Sign me up eleventy years ago!

5. Mark2410

Would have been nice to see something happen outside the US. Clearly Google thinks Americans are worth more.

1. BjornofKelp
      Boffin

Worth considering

While I'm in no position to speak for the company in any way, you might also consider that, as a company based in the US, there might be more of an element of "Fixing up the homestead first" going on than your proposed "These guys are inherently worth more" angle. That is my first thought, at least.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Worth considering

there might be more of an element of "Fixing up the homestead first" "PR with the constituents of legislators in the country where we're headquartered first"

FTFY.

Google aren't doing this out of love for developed-world video-streaming addicts.1 They're doing it as an investment, and they want to maximize their return.

HTH. HAND.

1I'm trying to think of another plausible, productive use for a 1 GB/s Internet connection to the home. None comes to mind. I know I would see negligible benefit from such a connection. But then I've only been using the Internet since the mid-1980s, and only had it direct to the home for seventeen years, so what do I know?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like